Does anyone know if the cocktail bar up by the penthouse in the royal hotel is still there ad does it still have a grand piano there?? Also in the basement area there was another bar [not sure what this was called]. I haven't been in this hotel since the 80s and was wodering if it was any different.

I also had a treat in an overnight stay i one of the rooms with an ex boyfriend at this time [but we'll say no more about this]!!!!

Used to love posing up in the penthouse (Bumped into my mum and her sister in law up there once, don't know who was most shocked!!!! I bought a bottle of Champagne and four glasses and i think my mum was secretly impressed)

one of the many possers in the penthouse Beefsteak!..can anyone remember Alan Prowse who use to busk outside C and A in the 80's..well he made so much money that he was a regular champagne drinker at the penthouse bar!

one of the many possers in the penthouse Beefsteak!..can anyone remember Alan Prowse who use to busk outside C and A in the 80's..well he made so much money that he was a regular champagne drinker at the penthouse bar!

Was Alan Prose the chap who used to play a tambourine? If it was the same man what a hunk he thought he was!!!! Somebody told me he made a fortune out of busking.... I saw him last still doing the same thing in Beeston....

he couldn't even busk!...hope he's on this site wonder what his user name would be"man at C and A" or "butlin reject"......ha ha

Even if he isn't on this site I bet his ears are burning!!! It was oly about 2 years ago I saw him in Beeston doing the same 'show' and I remember thinking what a saddo....Mind you he didn't look half as cocky!!!!

• 9 years later...

If I recall there was also a French restaurant  in The Royal can't remember the name of it though.

I always remember it was great for good steaks when it first opened. Yummy !:hungr:

We used to have our office Christmas meal in the Kings Carvery.

Unlike now, in those days, you could go back for meat as often as you wanted. Which usually meant half a dozen thick slices each of beef, pork, and turkey, with a pile of roast spuds and a couple of sprouts.

I remember going to The Royal Hotel when it first opened. Firm's Christmas dinner. Didn't think much to it. Went to The Strathdon on a number of occasions, also The Albany. All firm's Christmas meals. In those days women wore long dresses on such occasions!

• 1 year later...

There's an old thread here about the Hippo.   

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/7150-hippo-club/?tab=comments#comment-91113

And several which mention other clubs as well  

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/search/?q=clubs&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles