Can anyone remember a hair salon that was on Wheeler gate? This salon was upstairs and from what I remember was next to where the large book shop [waterstones] was. I worked here for a brief time [and hated it] and cannot for the life of me remember its name.This was in mid 80s

Can anyone remember a hair salon that was on Wheeler gate? This salon was upstairs and from what I remember was next to where the large book shop [waterstones] was. I worked here for a brief time [and hated it] and cannot for the life of me remember its name.This was in mid 80s

Spoke to someone today and it was called Martannes

• 6 months later...
What was the name of the place that you could buy lengths of hair - real and otherwise? It was great for do-it-yourself dreadlocks.

Not sure, but I remember buying real hair pony tail pieces from debenhams wig dept., splitting them apart and weaving them in, sealing with super glue.... had the fibre ones done once at another salon for a small fortune... had to use fabric conditioner to manage to comb them.... YUK...... This was 20 odd years ago.... and luckily hair extensions have moved on!!!!!

Not sure, but I remember buying real hair pony tail pieces from debenhams wig dept., splitting them apart and weaving them in, sealing with super glue.... had the fibre ones done once at another salon for a small fortune... had to use fabric conditioner to manage to comb them.... YUK...... This was 20 odd years ago.... and luckily hair extensions have moved on!!!!!

It was in an arcade somewhere and the owner had long blonde hair, the monofibre came in all sorts of colours so we saved a packet and learnt to do the dreadlock thing ourselves - at that time you had to go to Antenna in London. Copydex is murder to get out of your hair, glue and hair seemed to go hand in hand in the '80's! I washed my dreadlocks in washing up liquid and then rinsed them with fabric conditioner or they stuck to your jumper. The last time I had the locks put in was about 1994 - oh dear!!

The woman from the arcade is Margaret, living in Sherwood. the shop closed a few years ago.

Margaret, that's it - mystery solved. She was brilliant and very patient as my boyfriend and I were always in there buying yet more hair, usually on a Wednesday, and by the time Rock City night was upon us, we'd grown yet more hair!

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...