Nottingham murders

I thought this had recently been detected by DNA?

Bygones: The brutal murder of GI bride Joan Maschek

If it has, I'd be interested to see a report of it wherever..........

Incidentally, I see that the Post Bygones report appeared on November 16th 2010, a couple of months after I'd posted my comment on here. Wonder if someone looked here, and then went off to write the Bygones piece?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just browsing through this thread while waiting for my paint to dry on me bathtub, where I noticed at the beginning of the thread the name Collette Aram was mentioned. Her murder was somewhere down Ad

Were still the tops I believe in murders. I am trying to compile a list of noyttingham murders between 1984-1995 Can Anyone help by remembering any details or names? 1. Sarah Harper, Abducted from

I can remember that murder in a cafe in Basford in the early 1970's, when a young woman murdered her husband because he was horrible to her, she wanted to get rid of him and bring in her lover to live

Does anyone remember the murder of a birmingham man from bulwell ?
It must have been somewhere around 95 give or take a coulple of years I believe he was attacked by machetes either in or near a night club.
AFAIK he was supposed to be a really big drug dealer from birmingham and only lived in nottingham for a few months before his murder.

I thought it was the marcus garvey centre but I can't find anything on the web at all as search engines seem to like listing modern news results first and theres nothing on the wiki page.
I'm sure it happened as I remember a small article about it in the evening post and the guy only lived down the road from me

lol this is going to sound strange but I'm pretty sure his name was either levi or barrington I can't remember which.
he lived on either aspen road or alder gardens in snapewood (I can find the exact house on google maps but no signs via street view confirming which part the house was part of)

It seems wierd I can't find any articles relating to it because I know for a fact he was murdered and I remember reading an article in the evening post about it.
It must have been one of the most vicious murders in nottingham during the 90s

BTW another murder I remember that noone listed from 2010
as far as I recall a bin was stuck outside her door and set on fire
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Police-step-patrols-death-estate/story-12243518-detail/story.html#axzz2bcVqluzC

AN estate where a woman died in an arson attack has seen an increased police presence after reports of antisocial behaviour.

Susie Southern died after being trapped in her burning home in South Snape Close, on the Snapewood Estate in Bulwell, last year.

William Rowbotham, 19, of Raymede Drive, Bestwood Estate, was jailed for life last month after being convicted of her murder. He started the fire.

I can't see anything about it and the newspaper archives haven't got up to the 90s yet .

Here are some murder cases that mention Nottingham (some maybe listed for having the court cases there)

Each one is a separate link :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.murderuk.com+%2C+nottingham&oq=si&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i59l2j69i61l2.6413j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&ei=RjkHUtajDaWm0QXWqYGgAg&fp=c3c108cf824f032d&q=site:http://www.murderuk.com+,+nottingham&sa=N&start=0

DAVIDW

Hiya,I have been reading your post David and you speak of the news paper archives, I am interested in reading about events in the Nottm area in the 50/60s and would love to be able to browse at leisure, i know you are knowledgeable on this subject and i wondered if there a site for this purpose and if it is a freebie or a yearly fee to be paid. It is only the Evening Post or local Nottm papers i am interested in. Thank you for any advice you can pass on.

Carni

I look at the newpaper archives at http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/newspapers

Unfortunately they only seem to go up to the 40s so far with the Notts papers .

I use all the boxes to type queries even putting in (say) burton road in the name boxes . Without paying it only seems to let you narrow results to East Midlands .

The stories are sometimes jumbled up by the computer and it only gives a brief snippet of the story . To read the story on the actual newspaper page you have to pay .

Surprising what comes up , I found a few reports the drunken exploits of one my ancestors in the 1800s in Southwell on the site .

• 3 months later...

I remember reading in a book called "Nottingham Hangings" by Terry ?? that there was a murder on Bathley street the meadows up towards Arkwright street, can't remember the details though, I think post WW2 but before the 50's the house is still standing

Rog

The author was Terry Lambley. Retired policeman.

• 1 year later...

In the 90's there was a little man who would be in his 50s or early 60s, would attend night clubs in Nottingham and dance alone on the dance floor. Strange looking little man that always wore a loud flower printed shirt.

Early 90s he was murdered in the platform toilet of Nottingham midland station at around midnight. Hit on the back of the head with a wooden wheel chock taken from under a railway wagon. The offender was arrested later in Sneinton.

Does anyone remember this or who the victim was? I believe the offenders name was similar to Chopping or similar?

• 7 months later...

Just a quick note regarding the Wollaton Vale murder. It was a builder who killed a man he was living with... well sharing a house, not as a couple... He got upset when they argued about what tv programme to watch and hit him with a spade, I think it was.

My connection was that he was working on our house and another on Wollaton Vale. The police told us they may have to dig up our floor to find the body... but it was eventually located on another property he was working on.

• Upvote 2

Just to bring you up to date on this thread.... Boston has now been named Murder Capital of England, with Lincoln 5th, London, Gloucester and Blackpool inbetween.

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Boston-branded-murder-capital-England-Wales/story-28585985-detail/story.html

My daughter is always warning me about going there, but as I tell her we wear our stab vests and drive carefully around the bodies in Morrisons car park, and generally have a lovely visit there :)

• Upvote 1

It was Wollaton Vale in 1983, a guy called Patrick Miller killed his "friend" Barry Stone in a row over money. You are right that Miller was a builder and he buried Stone under the floorboards of an empty house (Wollaton Vale) that he was working on. He left the body for 3 months until the owner went on holiday, returned and poured concrete in to finish the job! The only reason this came to light was because Miller confessed under hard questioning by the police. The house was dug up on 3rd June 1984 and Barry Stone's body was discovered in a concrete tomb under the lounge floorboards. He was given 4 years for manslaughter, 2 and a half for fraud and a year for concealing the body.

I played cricket with Pat, left us in the lurch for a few games!!

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

I can remember that murder in a cafe in Basford in the early 1970's, when a young woman murdered her husband because he was horrible to her, she wanted to get rid of him and bring in her lover to live with her, who was an Irish guy called Brendon..............It was gruesome, carefully planned and she nearly got away with it, just made one slip up, she hit him over the head and put him in an old chest freezer in the backyard, left him there with old bikes, carpets etc covering the top, she thought he would just rot away - One day the neighbour's complained of a strange smell and Eastcroft was called in, then he was discovered..................I was called in for jury service, she was found guilty, although she protested her innocence, she got 15 years........Later in 1986 we moved into Basford, we bought Ingham's old shop, modernised it and she began trading with us, she always stared at me and I often wondered if she recognised me, obviously I kept a low profile.........Hope she is not on this Forum.......

• Upvote 3

I can remember that, the bloke who did it was never found, was suppose to be an accident, he just wanted money from the till, but she put up a fight, he did not mean to kill her, pushed her and she banged her head and died, then he just locked the door behing him and walked away.........He was supposed to have walked all the way down Nottingham Road Basford, called in our shop for a filled roll and then disappeared into knowhere..........my hubby was questioned..........

Wasn't he wrapped in a plastic sheet & left in the outside loo !

No he was warpped in a plastic sheet and put in a chest freezer....I remember it well as I was on the jury......

• Upvote 1

Collette Aram? not sure if it falls within those years but was around that time.

Her Grandparents lived next door to me at the time and I often saw the young lady visiting with her parents.

The same bloke killed Linda Mann, her mum Kathleen and family once lived next door to us in Hucknall back in the 50's - they moved to Keyworth in 1960.......

• Upvote 1

Coincidences.

When Sheila Egner was murdered, I was working at the same place - same dept - as a direct relative of hers (surname Egner).

I knew Graham Neale - and have photos of us both in the same place at the same time.

Colette Aram's killer, Paul Hutchinson, lived less than a quarter of a mile from where I'm typing this now.