Nottingham murders

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just browsing through this thread while waiting for my paint to dry on me bathtub, where I noticed at the beginning of the thread the name Collette Aram was mentioned. Her murder was somewhere down Ad

Were still the tops I believe in murders. I am trying to compile a list of noyttingham murders between 1984-1995 Can Anyone help by remembering any details or names? 1. Sarah Harper, Abducted from

I can remember that murder in a cafe in Basford in the early 1970's, when a young woman murdered her husband because he was horrible to her, she wanted to get rid of him and bring in her lover to live

Just remembered another murder, one on porchester rd, no idea when, went to do job there and old boy after taking ages to answer door and let me in told me it was because his wife had been murdered in the house by robbers

Re Porchester Road. I think the victim was Lucy Flynn. Her and her husband were market traders and were turned over because the offenders thought they would have plenty of cash. Three men were arrested and convicted.

• Upvote 1

Re the silver teapot, I used to go in there quite a bit years before the murder, had a good few old pin ball machines where you had to get rows of numbers lit up the idea being you won free plays for 3 or four in line or 4 corners etc, can't recall exact rewards, but it was possible to get to high numbers of free goes, 64 or 128 which which the cafe would (illegally?) buy back off you, guess thinking was if you were on there for hours playing them off they weren't earning money? was told by staff there the body was locked in outside toilet and chemists next door to cafe reported the smell, I can well imagine that smell as once had to remove a dead cat from a heating cupboard on St Ann's estate, I had to "hook" said cat from such as stuck behind pipes, the cat "broke up" with flies and loads of maggots, didn't quite spew up but not far off!

It was also me who found the cash tray from The Yeoman Army stores robbery/murder, dumped just over the wall in the "rest garden" on Church St Old Basford just before the bridge over the railway

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/25/2016 at 9:06 AM, darkazana said:

Just to bring you up to date on this thread.... Boston has now been named Murder Capital of England, with Lincoln 5th, London, Gloucester and Blackpool inbetween.

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Boston-branded-murder-capital-England-Wales/story-28585985-detail/story.html

Always had odd experiences in Boston.......caught a shoplifter in the Coop west street who 'ate' the evidence,,caught my first fish with a Rod there,, threatened by a gang of Lesbian Shoplifters,,interviewed a murderer there,,(long story) ,spent a day in the Psychiatric dept at the Pilgrim hospital (don't ask) slept on Boston railway station,,....oh and nearly Drowned there in a car 1967...........funny place...........lol

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi i am looking for info on the murder of a male child in harby in 1979, the child was called David Thompson, cant seem to find anything at all about it in Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire archives, but it was aparently all over the papers, i know this is a really old thread but any info would be greatfully received, thankyou

Sorry i really should have introduced myself, my name is Shanida (i got left with the awful name after my brother and Sister got Kelly and Jonathan, yeah i know what you are thinking lol) i live up in Lancashire and i am an auxilliary nirse at my local hospital, my partner Ant was born in Grantham Lincs and is looking for some sort of newspaper archive on his late half brother David Thompson, he has only recently found out about this brother and has been told that he was murdered in Harby at 3 years of age, we cannot find anything archive wise though, we have been told it was all over local newspapers, he was murdered in February 1979 but that is all we know, thanks guys

I'm not sure if Harby or a nearby village had a local newspaper, I doubt it because of its size, so think tbe story could be in a Melton Mowbray paper, they must have an archive?

Which Harby? The Nottinghamshire one is actually near Lincoln, so may have been reported in the local paper there.

The other Harby, which is actually in Leicestershire, would be covered by papers either in Melton or Nottingham.

Just browsing through this thread while waiting for my paint to dry on me bathtub, where I noticed at the beginning of the thread the name Collette Aram was mentioned. Her murder was somewhere down Adbolton lane near the National Water Sports centre circa 1978ish. How do I know? Because I was the first suspect to be interviewed due to the fact I was in the wrong place at the right time. I'd just finished working as a park ranger and went down there for a visit with my wife. It transpired that people who were interviewed described seeing a person fitting my description including clothing. When I was getting petrol at Moorbridge garage the cashier pointed to a  photo image and said it looked just like me ! Never thought any more about until two detectives come knocking on my door. Had my fingerprints taken and all the rest. When they asked about my whereabouts on the day in question, they seemed to know already. I asked if they knew what I'd had for breakfast and one said " near enough". Luckily for me some of the people I worked at NWSC. vouched for my movements and reason for me being in the area. The police said not to worry as my fingerprints would be returned to me when it was all over. To this day, 40+ years later, I've never received them.

Incidentally, this the first time I've ever spoken of it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

We bought the house which was the home of Wayne Keaton after we came back to Nottingham in 1994. There was a very large photo of him and his brother hanging on the wall, my husband recognised him, I didn't. The house was in Rise Park.  We were there only 5 or 6 months as we were burgled twice in that time.

• Like 1

If the death found by Jill is right (death was registered in March quarter, so a death in Feb would be covered by this), it would be worth getting the death certificate to find exact date of death and cause of death

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Possibly David William Thompson, died March 1979 in Lincoln. Born 13 July 1975. Might that be him?

Thankyou, Yes that is definately him, we are trying to find out what actually happened to him

2 hours ago, annswabey said:

If the death found by Jill is right (death was registered in March quarter, so a death in Feb would be covered by this), it would be worth getting the death certificate to find exact date of death and cause of death

A family member has told Ant that he was murdered, we just dont know under what circumstances thats why we are trying to see what the papers said about it, you are all so good at this, thankyou so much

As Ann says, the death certificate is a good place to start, followed by coroner's office? I've never had to access post mortem reports but I would suppose they are available. Might give some useful leads.

• Like 1
On 6/21/2008 at 11:11 PM, mick2me said:

Were still the tops I believe in murders.

I am trying to compile a list of noyttingham murders between 1984-1995

Can Anyone help by remembering any details or names?

1. Sarah Harper, Abducted from Leeds and drowned in the Trent @ Wilford (1985?).
Convicted: Robert Black (Serial killer)

2. Wayne Keaton, 10 year old Murdered at Bestwood (1985)
Convicted: Atherton & Cleary. Cleary appealed and was released after serving 9 years.

Remember this as though it was last week. Atherton lived just round the corner from me & I'd known him for years, I'd take him out on L plates in his car & SWR'd his CB radio for him. Got the shock of my life when this happened, I'd spoke to him in the afternoon on the day he did it. Channel 4 got in touch with me for background info when they were doing their documentary on it...

• 9 months later...
On 1/24/2016 at 7:05 PM, PennyCee said:

Just a quick note regarding the Wollaton Vale murder. It was a builder who killed a man he was living with... well sharing a house, not as a couple... He got upset when they argued about what tv programme to watch and hit him with a spade, I think it was.

My connection was that he was working on our house and another on Wollaton Vale. The police told us they may have to dig up our floor to find the body... but it was eventually located on another property he was working on.

Patrick Miller was a plumber not a builder. He didn’t hit Barry Stone with any implement. They had an argument and Patrick pushed him and he fell backwards off the settee onto a quarry tiled floor where he hit his head, unfortunately Barry was proven at post mortem to have an unusually thin skull and this was the cause of death. 

• 8 months later...

I recall a murder in this period in Mapperley Park. A man caught a taxi late at night and when it arrived in Mapperley Park the passenger stabbed the driver many times (77?) and ran off. I think the police suspected it was a contract killing and that the driver had run up debts. The murderer was never found. I remember the story because I sometimes walked the dog in the evening in Mapperley Park.