Nottingham murders

Yep, Metropole was only a distance along Edwards Lane where it meets Mansfield Road

Opposite side of Mansfield Road shorelee?

Looking across the main road and down Edwards Lane...

Cheers

P.Ed Antic

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just browsing through this thread while waiting for my paint to dry on me bathtub, where I noticed at the beginning of the thread the name Collette Aram was mentioned. Her murder was somewhere down Ad

Were still the tops I believe in murders. I am trying to compile a list of noyttingham murders between 1984-1995 Can Anyone help by remembering any details or names? 1. Sarah Harper, Abducted from

I can remember that murder in a cafe in Basford in the early 1970's, when a young woman murdered her husband because he was horrible to her, she wanted to get rid of him and bring in her lover to live

I remember reading in a book called "Nottingham Hangings" by Terry ?? that there was a murder on Bathley street the meadows up towards Arkwright street, can't remember the details though, I think post WW2 but before the 50's the house is still standing

Rog

Nottingham a Place of Execution by Terry Lambley is the book in question.

img004.jpg

There was a murder in the fifties...guy met a lass in the Roxy.Took her up Woodthorpe Park...when she didn't co-operate he strangled her.The police had no clues and he would have got away with it, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids, but he was a weirdo and kept phoning the police asking if he could help.

They did him but I can't remember whether he was hung or not.

Here you go, http://www.stephen-s...heart_beats.htm

Lol, very good Mick, imagine present owner of that house reading that book! Am sure I've read such, did it tell of the murder of a visiting judge in still there premises on Foreman Street? Re the murder where they met in a cinema, it was the Metropole, Of interest to me as at time Nottingham did not have murder squad and (I think) a then Chief Inspector (later Super) John DuRose (same surname) from Scotland Yard came up to investigate, I think the murderer rang the News of the World offering info for money and details passed to police

Thanks for that catfan, I grew up just across the road and a little way towards Bunbury street at No 47 but knew nothing of the murder until adulthood a left Bathley street a good many years, I suppose it would still be taboo in the 50s.

Good book by the way, did you know Terry Lambley lived on Wilford hill and had some original gallows erected in his garden?

Rog

Terry Lambley was a bobby at Station Street Police Station.

He retired and was last heard of Running a Picture Framing business in Radford.

Didn't Marwood the executioner hail from Horncastle Lincolnshire? seem to remember seeing a blue plaque on a building in his honour, I usually go there weekly from work, next time I will take my camera and get a picture of said plaque

Rog

Around 1961 I used to work with a lovely friend whose husband had been hanged for murder.

We used to go to the Locarno for the lunchtime R&R sessions.

Her surname was Constantine.

I lost touch with her when I left to get married.

• 2 months later...

Flippin eck i met Graham Neil once when i did a stint on Radio Trent he seemed a really nice guy seems you never can tell

Re Graham Neale, I had met him when booking bands etc and found him ok too (usual I'm a star bit though) not long after his death saw a band picture in customers house on St Annes with him in such, the houswife told me one of others was her son, I said I didn't think him the sort to murder and she said she did, said had vile temper.

Just remembered another murder, one on porchester rd, no idea when, went to do job there and old boy after taking ages to answer door and let me in told me it was because his wife had been murdered in the house by robbers

Graham Neal murdered his misses when he found out she was 'seeing' his best friend, after GN was sentenced the friend comitted suicide. Following this GN comitted suicide. A Shakesperean tragedy.

In the early 60s there was a murder on Julian Road, Lady Bay.
An old lady was killed by a burgler, again travellers were suspected by the locals. I used to help her with her shopping, and her murder had quite an effect on me. She was a nice old lady, almost crippled with arthritis.

In the late 50's there was a murder on Woodland Grove, Lady Bay, this was a domestic. I think it involved East Europeans.

Those are the murders that occurred while I lived in Lady Bay. When I lived in the old St Annes, there were many more. Most of them were reported in the NEP, some were not.

• 2 months later...

There was a murder on Wollaton Vale in 1984/5?

A builder killed his business partner and concreted him under the floor of a house

they were renovating. The story was told in one of those true crime magazines.

Anyone any knowledge of it or know which magazine it was in?

It was Wollaton Vale in 1983, a guy called Patrick Miller killed his "friend" Barry Stone in a row over money. You are right that Miller was a builder and he buried Stone under the floorboards of an empty house (Wollaton Vale) that he was working on. He left the body for 3 months until the owner went on holiday, returned and poured concrete in to finish the job! The only reason this came to light was because Miller confessed under hard questioning by the police. The house was dug up on 3rd June 1984 and Barry Stone's body was discovered in a concrete tomb under the lounge floorboards. He was given 4 years for manslaughter, 2 and a half for fraud and a year for concealing the body.

Another couple of cases which I can remember and I never knew the outcome of........

One was the murder of a lady called Joan Maschek (maybe not the exact spelling) around mid 1970s

Circumstances were something like, she owned a flat at the top end of Derby Road near the Park, and the theory was that she was murdered by a disgruntled tenant who had an argument with her

Also, the case of Sheila Egner, shop assistant at Yeoman's Army Stores on Mansfield Road in 1991. She was working in the shop, someone came in to try and rob the till, and she was killed in the process. The theory on that one was it was a tramp/homeless type who just wandered in on the off change

As far as I remember, neither of them was ever solved

(And I've just realised this is in the 80s thread, which neither of these is) :unsure:

THanks for that and Welcome.

I was able to find more background to the case here.

Undergraduate dissertation - Chapter 3

It may also prove that the accused is not guilty of murder, but instead of manslaughter. An example of this is the death of Barry Stone. The police were convinced that Patrick Miller’s version of events - that Stone fell when they were fighting, hit his head and died, was just a story to hide the fact that Miller killed him. They thought that his death was premeditated, as there was a lack of entomological evidence at the burial site that should have been present if Miller was telling the truth. The pathological expert however could show through forensic evidence that the story being told was correct. Stone’s only serious injury was to the back of his skull. This sort of injury is consistent to Stone falling over and hitting his head. Despite this evidence, Miller was charged with murder, but was found guilty of manslaughter instead.

With those names, I also foud that Amazon are selling that edition of 'True Crimes'

• Upvote 1

Re the Yeoman's Army Store murder, the till tray from the shop was found on the little triangular "park" at the junction of Western Boulevard and Church Street Old Basford I think the same evening of the murder? I remember seeing it just over the wall in top corner opposite smithy's scrap yard. The "suspect" was seen on North Sherwood Street with the till and a sketch/photofit issued of his description. A dead ringer for such used to go in The White Swan odd Saturday nights, facts were reported to the police, and he was seen in there once more (at least) after that before he "vanished" (popular local belief was he was Irish and had returned here)

• 4 months later...

hey guys . i believe my father was involved in a murder around the nottingham area around 1985 time. his name is michael dunne and he killed an old lady whilst living with my grandad finbar dunne. my grandad and dad were irish and i dont think my dad had been in nottingham long when it had happened. i was wondering if anyone knew of any details

• 4 months later...

Nottingham a Place of Execution by Terry Lambley is the book in question.

img004.jpg

Terry Lambley was a Constable at the Meadows until his retirement around 20 years ago.

I managed to find an extract of Terry's Book.

From "Nottingham A Place of Execution" by Terry Lambley

"The principle site used for executions were Gallows Hill, County Hall

(Shire Hall),House of Correction and Bagthorpe Goal (Perry Road prison)."

The area around the junction of Mansfield Road and Forest Road is generally

accepted as being the site of Gallows Hill.

The last execution to take place in Nottingham was of George Frederick

Walter HAYWARD on 10th April 1928 at Bagthorpe.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I visited an office in Gothic House, Barker Gate to see an accountant.

When he knew what I did before retirement he asked me if I had any knowledge of a murder some years ago in that building.

I remember the murder of a youth in a building in the lacemarket late 80's early 90s?

There may have been some connections with Black Magic rituals in caves on Garners Hill near the broad Marsh?

Anyone have a better recollection than me on this murder?

• 6 months later...

Another couple of cases which I can remember and I never knew the outcome of........

One was the murder of a lady called Joan Maschek (maybe not the exact spelling) around mid 1970s

Circumstances were something like, she owned a flat at the top end of Derby Road near the Park, and the theory was that she was murdered by a disgruntled tenant who had an argument with her

I thought this had recently been detected by DNA?

Bygones: The brutal murder of GI bride Joan Maschek