Rock City in the 80's

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to see Blur in 1997 @ Rock City the floor was that sticky it took me 4 days to walk home.

Rory Gallagher Defender tour, 1985 I think. Awesome, unbelievable, brilliant.

Stop it, FLY2 (#69). you're making me jealous.

• 10 months later...

Ah, Rock City! Duran Duran played there, the night of their Top Of The Pops debut. Also saw The Cramps, Bauhaus, Classix Nouveaux and Shock, Spear of Destiny, Toyah, loads of other stuff. Alternative night at the weekends and the occasional mid-week student night? Yep. Funnily enough I made a 80s Rock City playlist for my iPod recently - driving along to The Cult's 'Spiritwalker' at full volume, anyone? Classic!

Ayup again Sioux, I was at a Toyah gig there once , were you at the one where she got a bit rude with the microphone !!????

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember Des & Karl, Des was your stereotypical hippy, long black hair, big beard. Karl had long ginger hair and glasses.

Both were purveyors of the kind of things which made rock night more memorable.

used to sit in the corner in the small downstairs area, when they walked in the DJ would play Steppenwolfs The Pusher.

• 6 months later...

I was also a Saturday night regular, loved the place. I'm sure I remember Stuart wearing plastic baby heads in his hair !! Always admired your look Stuart !!

I think the first concert I saw there was Blancmange, after that many more weird and wonderful bands. I still go regularly to concerts here where I live but they just don't seem to be the same maybe it's my age. I do remember having some really great nights out at Rock City and meeting great like-minded people.

Cheerz

I went to a few gigs in the very early days of Rock City. My memory tells me it was the first week or two when I saw The Kinks there but I'm probably wrong about that

I've saved some crap i have a old flyer from when it opened looks like this.

iron maiden / human league / lambrettas / climax blues band where supposed to be on the 1st week but where all cancelled due to the electrics taking longer than anticipated .

December 1980

11th the undertones + orange juice

12th shakin stevens

14th echo & the bunnymen + the sound

18th steve harley

19th the kinks + the gas

20th X.T.C + modern rain

22nd q tips

23rd hinkleys heroes

24th gary glitter + the shod

31st otway & barratt

And to make you feel young Weimieguy blancmange played on December 14th 1982 (i went to that)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Yep, good owd Rock Citeh! Can remember going to see Blancmange there in the early Eighties......can't remember owt after passing out in the crowd. Must have been the skin full of ale I had!!!

• 1 month later...

Anyone remember they had a Northern Soul night on a Saturday @ Rock City, northern soul upstairs and Futurist music in the downstairs bar, I used to go the "Alternative" there on the Saturday nights..where my love of all things Nick Cave was born... after listening to The Birthday Party's Sonny's Burning being played there, been to a fair few gigs as well, worst being Killing Joke (still love Change and Requiem though) through to The Pixes and laterly The Specials and Grinderman.

Curly

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember seeing China Crisis there with Howard Jones as support.........the crowd were shouting Howard's name throughout China Crisis' set, talk about dying a death!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Rory Gallagher Defender tour, 1985 I think. Awesome, unbelievable, brilliant.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw many top acts here,as I became older I stayed sober..to truly enjoy witnessing some top acts

Flock of Seagulls were on fire,Neil Arthur threatened to go home,some lady threw her drawers at Rory Gallagher, The Christians played to a quiet house,The The gave an Uncertain Smile!!

The Ramones took me back to Wilford Lane '77.

China Crisis presented a gig to posh punks.

The Fascist Groove Thang Versus New Wave hate all worked splendidly under the gob dripping roof.