hi there everyone new 2 this site so i hope u can help me.i am doing my family history my grandma was born in nottingham.i was wondering if anyone has any info on peashill road,basford or any pictures of workers of players tabocca factory.hope 2 hear from u soon julie.

Ayup Julie and welcome to this happy breed

Try www.picturethepast.org.uk and follow their links to where ever you want in the East Midlands

I've had a quick look and struggled but if you know the exact location of Peasehill Road you may do better than me.

My dad worked at Players all his life but I don't think I have any pics. Den,(BIP) also worked there a long time he may help.

Peas Hill Road was in St Anns, ran from St Anns Well Road to Blue Bell Hill. I used to ride my scooter down there as a kid.

Peas Hill Road was in St Anns, ran from St Anns Well Road to Blue Bell Hill. I used to ride my scooter down there as a kid.

That could explain why I couldn't find it in any old or new Basford maps then!!!.........................LOL

My dad worked at Players all his life but I don't think I have any pics. Den,(BIP) also worked there a long time he may help.

Sorry can't help even though I worked there for god knows how many years I don't have any pictures of my work colleagues but I might be able to help in locations in and about the Players complex.

PS....Radford red also worked there I beleive, he maybe able to help too.

Bip.

I double checked, it went from Woodborough Road to St Anns Well Road. Got mixed up with Pym Street.

Also know locally as Donkey Hill if i'm not mistaken.

No, that was St Mathias Road Frank, bit further up St Anns Well Rd on the right or more correct south, very steep hill that was!

Donkey Hill was Southampton St from St Anns Well Road to Blue B ell Hill

nah its St Bartholomews Road opposite the Westminster pub at the crossroads with Wells Road and Ransom Road

hi there thanks 4 your help.i heard that peasehill road was suppose 2 b the slumsof notts.by the way my grandma was born in the 1920`s.she worked there when she was 18.julie

The quality of housing was poor, Back to Back terraced housing, with outside toilets in many cases.

But the community sprit was better.

The quality of housing was poor, Back to Back terraced housing, with outside toilets in many cases.

But the community sprit was better.

I'll say it was better (You never got a cold toilet seat for one thing)

!laughing!

hi there everyone new 2 this site so i hope u can help me.i am doing my family history my grandma was born in nottingham.i was wondering if anyone has any info on peashill road,basford or any pictures of workers of players tabocca factory.hope 2 hear from u soon julie.

Hi Julie,

My Grandfather worked at Players all his life in the Stationary dept, think I have his retirement gift from the firm somewhere, also repaired umburellas as a side line, imagine anybody doing that today, I have a heap of old photos from my granparents days in the loft (wherelse) I'll dig them out soon & have a look if anything from Players, have a small recollection of seeing a group shot once, if I find anything, will post it up.

Yes, Donkey Hill was St.Bartholomew's Road, I stayed off Porchester Road for a number of years, good test of the old brakes, that one!

I also had some family on my Mothers side from St Annes, the housing & community spirit being very similar to the Meadows where I was born :smile:

Paul

I stand corrected on Donkey Hill, was a long time ago and a lot of water has gone under my bridge since those days.

God those outside bogs in winter! Didn't sit out there long of a bitterly cold January night!

Plus the old newspaper squares!

I stand corrected on Donkey Hill, was a long time ago and a lot of water has gone under my bridge since those days.

God those outside bogs in winter! Didn't sit out there long of a bitterly cold January night!

Plus the old newspaper squares!

Can't remember newspaper squares [before my time] but I do remember the loo paper that was kind of gloosy - this was found in the market square toilets right up until the end of them.. We never had it but my gran did at one tim. That and big pink veined slabs of soap at school... its all coming back to me

Can't remember newspaper squares [before my time] but I do remember the loo paper that was kind of gloosy - this was found in the market square toilets right up until the end of them.. We never had it but my gran did at one tim. That and big pink veined slabs of soap at school... its all coming back to me

Ah, yes - the famous IZAL shiney toilet paper. Smelled of disinfectant.

More of a spread than wipe !laughing!

my sympathies go out to any one who had to use it if they had a sore bottom or - piles !sickly!

Ah, yes - the famous IZAL shiney toilet paper. Smelled of disinfectant.

More of a spread than wipe !laughing!

my sympathies go out to any one who had to use it if they had a sore bottom or - piles !sickly!

IMMSC it is the same as using "The Sun " newspaper, it leaves more sh*t on the bum than was there in the first place

• Upvote 1
Hi Julie,

My Grandfather worked at Players all his life in the Stationary dept, think I have his retirement gift from the firm somewhere, also repaired umburellas as a side line, imagine anybody doing that today, I have a heap of old photos from my granparents days in the loft (wherelse) I'll dig them out soon & have a look if anything from Players, have a small recollection of seeing a group shot once, if I find anything, will post it up.

Yes, Donkey Hill was St.Bartholomew's Road, I stayed off Porchester Road for a number of years, good test of the old brakes, that one!

I also had some family on my Mothers side from St Annes, the housing & community spirit being very similar to the Meadows where I was born :smile:

Paul

thanks alot hope u can find something as we do`nt have any photos of my grandma julie !cheers!

izal_toilet_paper.jpg Both my parents at one stage in their lifes worked for Masseurs John player & Sons that’s how I came to work for them and jolly good pay too.

There was a in house news paper at one time called the Players post of which I appeared in twice, once because I walked for charity, there was a picture of me and some other guys and the other time was when I won some money for completing the papers cross word puzzle.

I know what you are thinking…Bip winning money for doing a crossword puzzle?

I’ll let you know I was at one time a whiz at crossword puzzles as long as there are two sets of clues and the answers being the same.

And the point of this post Bip........?

The point being that IMMSC JP & Sons used Izal paper before switching to soft bum wipes for many years.

Bip.

• 8 months later...