The Armoury Shop

Does anyone remember this shop? It was 'alternative' clothing and was situated along form Clarkes on Market square and up the alley at the side of the now travel agency? This in about 86/87 was my favourite shop. Does anyone remember it?

That and Jade shoes where I bought loads of really pointed shoes...

I remeber it clearly. My girlfriend at the time used to buy her rubber dresses from there. I bought a nice pair of black cowboy boots with silver tips(c'mon it was the '80's). The logo was a skeleton with a garland of flowers around it's head. I'm terrible with names, but I used to know the guy who worked there really well, we used to hang out at Rock City. Ian I think!

• 6 months later...

I too had Jade shoes - still had some thigh leather boots from there up until recently - kept them for a laugh as well as a bin liner full of other rock city outfits.... didnt want to part with them for a long time as they cost me a small fortune then..... sadly they had to go!!!

I too had Jade shoes - still had some thigh leather boots from there up until recently - kept them for a laugh as well as a bin liner full of other rock city outfits.... didnt want to part with them for a long time as they cost me a small fortune then..... sadly they had to go!!!

I bought two pairs of identical black stilettos from Jade as I figured that I'd never find any as good again - and I never have. They weren't very good the night that my boyfriend and I were getting to Rock City in the snow and we were holding on to the walls. How uncool! Can't remember the name of the street - somewhere between the Market Square and Talbot Street. I've still got the red satin corset I got and the studded belt. I could probably get into my old Goth gear but at 46 I'd look a bit foolish!

I bought two pairs of identical black stilettos I've still got the red satin corset .I could probably get into my old Goth gear but at 46 I'd look a bit foolish!

No you wouldn't , Do you want a photographer !!!! hearteyes

Thanks for the offer - I'd probably end up pixellated!

I still say that when you get older it's safer to not offend the public! I used to do the shopping in all of the leather and rubber garb and thought, quite mistakenly, that because I sweated so much in the rubber dress that the gloves would be warm on a cold day. There I was in Tesco trying to do the shopping with these gorgeous gloves with buckles all the way up to the elbow - and my hands were freezing as the rubber picked up the ambient temperature. Once outside and halfway home, my fingers were so painful with the cold I could hardly use my key!! And no, they weren't yellow Marigolds. The Armoury's best! !jumping!

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone, Yes I remember both of these shops well. I used to go into the Armoury regularly to try on a rubber dress I loved, but couldn't afford!!! The guy who ran it was indeed called Ian and I went out with him for a while (after the shop shut down) but it's been so many years I can't remember his surname!!

Bought shoes from Jade, style was great but the heels fell off!

They were the days....

• 6 months later...

Does anyone remember this shop? It was 'alternative' clothing and was situated along form Clarkes on Market square and up the alley at the side of the now travel agency? This in about 86/87 was my favourite shop. Does anyone remember it?

That and Jade shoes where I bought loads of really pointed shoes...

i remember the armoury shop..my friend jar used to work in there ,i spent a lot of time in there..im now making my own punk/alternative clothing and i reckon i was inspired by that shop , pity there arent more shops like that around now .:P

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...