birdcage boutique bridlesmith gate

When did Birdcage first open? I'd guess some time around 67 or 68.

What I remember is that it was the first shop I knew in Nottingham which used the word "Boutique" to describe itself. Until then, that was a word which was only used in places like Carnaby Street or King's Road

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't fault you youth ! Me & a mate had some great times at the local "Grab a granny night".

Exactly, they even worked, I’m ashamed to say, when I would go on my own to the Palais for “grab a Granny night”. I think that was a Tuesday night when everyone else was at work. 

Hi Basfordred, don't get me started on the halcyon days of the 60s because they were the best times, and was privileged to be part of them !!!?

The clothes were often made in the back of Birdcage in the early days, and boutique was indeed a new fangled word to describe a ladies clothes shop that was 'trendy'. I forced my poor Mother to buy me a confirmation dress from Birdcage - 'Its white - whats your problem Mum?', I was 15 and horrified that she was insisting I got confirmed! I didn't want to shop in anything that wasn't called a boutique because that was where my Mother would shop! I was a right little madam! Jeanettes on King St was very popular for your 'drawers', my Mother would go to Johnstones or the very wonderful 'Phone-a-Bra'on Melton Rd WB which sadly left us only recently. My poor Mother!

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Sir Paul had an involvement, does anyone remember 'Peru' just down Bridlesmith Gate approx where the Tokenhouse is now? A beautiful young woman called Zena seemed to run it, this was approx 73. Fantastic clothes. Pennyfeathers was owned by a chap called Mike Benwell along with his wife Shirley. Then became Gladrags/Backstage on Clinton St(?) opposite Boots in the Vic Centre.

Pennyfeathers was unique and paved the way for our own lovely Celia and the gorgeous Golden Cage.

Will ask around about what Sir Pauls involvement was with Birdcage.

Thank you for your ferreting Cliff Ton! What is all the rubbish on the front? I remember the name of the boutique on Goldsmith St next door to Paraphernalia, it was Grapevine. I'm really hoping someone remembers them so I didn't think I had a fashion related dream from the 70's! Trouble with a lot of these independent fashion shops is they were here today.....gone tomorrow.

there was a shop on the upper mall of victoria centre when it first opened. i cant for the life of me remember what it was called. was on the left as you walked towards the bus station about half way down. got some amazing high waisted pale blue trousers that must have been 3 feet wide with stitched in seams, six buttons on the very high waistband and a bowling shirt from there (i was a bit of a tomboy). can anyone remember what it was called? Must have been 1973ish.

It is Coast now.

The shop wasn't the door-less unit called 'I'll Leave It'? Jeffs used to be on the top floor I think, were you a tomboy who wore boys clothes! I know I had some boys sta-prest from there in a two tone greeny colour and a Ben Sherman shirt - this was during my very brief skinhead (clothes only) phase which was also put an early stop to by my long suffering parents!

Do you remember 'Campus' on Victoria Street? Opposite Jesse Boots old place which used to be the Victoria Club.

no dont remember Campus, and yes i think it was called 'I'll leave it' although i cant remember it being called that.

I was a tomboy who wore boys clothes when i was 12/13 but got a little more feminine as i grew up and noticed boys!!! I wore 'Barters' for my school shoes, had a black smock coat with an orange checked yoke - remember those? they were the more feminine type of crombie. Had a couple of pairs of 'Sta-prest', snot green (as we called them) and black. Never had the checked Ben Sherman though, just a nice pale lemon one! haha oh dear,

ooh yes, sonia beaumont. bit too posh for me but i remember that well - on the corner if i remember rightly? not sure i remember Roxy - was it known as Roxy Threads?

Sonia was on heathcote street and made great leather dresses... Roxy threads was just down from the George hotel , talking late 80's......campus I think became ziggys on Victoria street, bus stop became the first French connection in Nottingham and later aspecto

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the Birdcage from the 70's. Downstairs was ladies/girls stuff and upstairs was blokes. I remember two of the guys who used to work there Greg Longdon and Tony Sulley, i played football with them first for Nottingham Jewish FC , we changed the name to Sparton Atheletic and played in the Sunday league. Happy days. Chas..

• 8 months later...

I remember the Birdcage from the 70's. Downstairs was ladies/girls stuff and upstairs was blokes. I remember two of the guys who used to work there Greg Longdon and Tony Sulley, i played football with them first for Nottingham Jewish FC , we changed the name to Sparton Atheletic and played in the Sunday league. Happy days. Chas..

Hi Chas,great days and not a bad side .Hope your keeping well.am still playing at 59 not bad for an old fart thumbsup Rgds Greg

OMG do i feel old......just spoken to a young girl in Flannels on Bridlesmith gate....she informs me that in the olden days there was a clothes shop nearby called Birdcage and the great Sir Paul Smith once worked there...........

Hi Hippo girl,I used to work with Paul at the birdcage,My sister-in-law owned it.Paul was and still is a great guy fame and fortune not changed him one bit

Rgds Greg longdon

• 6 months later...

I remember Paul Smith's, and Birdcage very well, I shopped there all the time. Good times. There used to be another cool shop on the corner Bridlesmith gate and Poultry Lane , but I cant for the life of me remember the name, however, Bus Stop keeps flickering through my mind. Can anyone elaborate?

• Upvote 1

Lee Bender opened Bus stop on the Poultry .....She had the original one on Kensington high street and when I was at school. use to buy my clothes from there and Biba.The one in Nottingham didn't do so well and when it closed , it became French Connection........ Then aspecto......

• Upvote 1

:) Used to like taking a look around Nottingham's Boutiques and 'a look' it was only, for the prices in these places were extortionate - there again you were paying for the label / originality.

PS: Once bought a purple lipstick and some coloured tights from 'Biba'; certainly made me feel good wearing them. :biggrin:

Like Jackson, I could rarely afford to buy anything in Birdcage and the other boutiques. I spent most of my money in Chelsea Girl, Richards and C & A. I did splash out one time and got Paul Smith to make me a pair of beautiful navy trousers, with turn-ups. These were from his little shop in Byard Lane. I loved 'em !!

• Upvote 1

Lizzie, you shopped where I shopped, they all had reasonable prices, when you were on a tight budget. I also shopped at Vicki's next to the big Co-op.

:biggrin: 'Richards' sold quality clothes at quality prices. I remember I had a grey costume - matching skirt and jacket - from here and kept it as my best; always looked good with black, suede, winkle picker stilletos.

My first costume from 'C&A Modes' was cut from black and white tweed material with black, mock leather decorating the collar of the jacket. Adored wearing this suit, lasted me for ages, up 'til today even - although I now see it in my mind's eye! :biggrin:

'Chelsea Girl' when it landed during the 70's, was like a breathe of fresh air on the high street: lots and lots of up-to-date fashions to choose from at incredibly reasonable prices.

• Upvote 1