birdcage boutique bridlesmith gate

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't fault you youth ! Me & a mate had some great times at the local "Grab a granny night".

Exactly, they even worked, I’m ashamed to say, when I would go on my own to the Palais for “grab a Granny night”. I think that was a Tuesday night when everyone else was at work. 

Hi Basfordred, don't get me started on the halcyon days of the 60s because they were the best times, and was privileged to be part of them !!!?

I shopped there in the late 1960/70's when I was flush........Once went out with a guy called Aden, he took me to a dinner dance at Tollerton Aerodrome and bought me a posh, slinky black frock from the birdcage........ He lived in a mock tudor house out there...........Wonder what happened to him ?......

#71 - Angie - I can remember shopping at those shops too, they had some class gear back then......

I knew Paul Smith too......he was a regukar gent back then, is he still around ?......

:biggrin: 'Richards' sold quality clothes at quality prices. I remember I had a grey costume - matching skirt and jacket - from here and kept it as my best; always looked good with black, suede, winkle picker stilletos.

My first costume from 'C&A Modes' was cut from black and white tweed material with black, mock leather decorating the collar of the jacket. Adored wearing this suit, lasted me for ages, up 'til today even - although I now see it in my mind's eye! :biggrin:

'Chelsea Girl' when it landed during the 70's, was like a breathe of fresh air on the high street: lots and lots of up-to-date fashions to choose from at incredibly reasonable prices.

My late friend Jane worked in Chelsea girl when if it first opened in 1969..........I shopped all over the place and bought the latest fashions, I have always loved dressing up in the latest gear....at 70 years old now, I still dress up......

When birdcage was closing down my husband went crazy and bought 20 suits all greatly reduced. At that time we had La Buca and he'd change twice a day.

Hi Basfordred, don't get me started on the halcyon days of the 60s because they were the best times, and was privileged to be part of them !!!?

Me too, nobody can ever replsce the 60'd era, just fun, fun, fun for me..........I may have known you as I was everywhere and new everybody.......

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

When I would come home from the sea I would, relatively speaking, have pots of money and only a month or so to spend both it and to succeed in my real single objective. So the first thing was to go round to the Birdcage and John Smith’s to get clothes and then on to Stanley Dennis to get a haircut. One time in addition to stuff from the Birdcage, I bought  2 suits from John Smiths, one white with an additional black pair of trousers and one aubergine (this is probably 5 or 6 years before Saturday Night Fever). That aubergine suite was the most successful piece of gear ever created. 

• Like 1

Exactly, they even worked, I’m ashamed to say, when I would go on my own to the Palais for “grab a Granny night”. I think that was a Tuesday night when everyone else was at work. 

• Like 2

A huge deal was to graduate to diving off the top board. Sometimes I would hit the water so hard with my head that i am sure it permanently damaged me. Other than catch the bus out, what do you do in the summer in Bulwell now the lido’s gone? (only joking)

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Martyn said:

A huge deal was to graduate to diving off the top board. Sometimes I would hit the water so hard with my head that i am sure it permanently damaged me. Other than catch the bus out, what do you do in the summer in Bulwell now the lido’s gone? (only joking)

Go to Spoons !

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...