• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not vegetarian, and have never planned to be, but reading alisoncc's post is the kind of thing that might convert me.

Tripe shop?

This is the photo which disappeared from an earlier post due to the Photobucket Blackmail Dept. Tom Sanderson's Tripe Shop on Arkwright Street.

Well I love it, especially after a pot or two. Tripe, onions and a pile of Smash in a big basin. Yummy.

• Upvote 1

The next biggest is in the Nottingham Council House!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

Tripe is disgusting. I can't see any merit in it whatsoever. My parents used to eulogise over it pre war when they went to Tom Sanderson's tripe shop after the cinema. I saw some at the butcher's one Saturday and brought it home for lunch. Nobody would touch it!

1. Boil the tripe squares in water for 15 minutes then drain. Add the onions and enough milk to cover and cook for two hours over low heat.
  2. Melt the butter and flour together and stir to create a thick paste then slowly whisk in the milk form the tripe to create a white sauce. Season well with salt and pepper.
  3. Add the tripe squares, reheat and serve.
  5. Only then do you chuck it in the bin!
  6. ----------------------------------------------------------------
  7. Tripe legends:
  8. Tripe juice is good for a hangover.

Tripe increases libido.

Wrap your head with tripe and cover with a swimming cap for a cure for hair loss.

9. Anyone want to try one  and report back to us?

• Like 1

Ok here's one that's different. Sauté a finely chopped carrot, stick of celery and 1/2 an onion , add capers ( optional) raisins, pine nuts, chopped up tripe, white wine and tomato ( tin) add a bit of sugar to counteract the acidity of the capers if using and cook for about 1/2 hr.

My daughter used to have to cook it as it's very popular here, she couldn't stand the taste and smell of it but now she loves it and always brings my husband some when she cooks it.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2008 at 12:29 AM, Dodie said:

Tom Sanderson had a tripe shop opposite the Elite, a Black and white painted building

I attended Henry Mellish grammar school in Bulwell from 1951 to 56.  Mr G E Goodall (known to everyone as GEG) was a wonderful maths teacher and if anyone offered a poor answer in class he was often told to 'Take it to Tom Sanderson. He'll have far more use for it than me.'  ie it was tripe :)

Geoff

• Like 1

I started Mellish in ‘54 so GEG had retired by that time but his memory lingered on. You we’re probably in the same year as Bill Brazier who came from Daybrook. He’s my neighbour and lives a few hundred yards down the lane from me.