My Dad swears blind that there was a shop, still there opposite the Theatre Royal - was a stamp shop last time I saw it, that sold nothing but tripe in the 50's. Can anyone verify this, or is it a load of old tripe?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not vegetarian, and have never planned to be, but reading alisoncc's post is the kind of thing that might convert me.

Tripe shop?

This is the photo which disappeared from an earlier post due to the Photobucket Blackmail Dept. Tom Sanderson's Tripe Shop on Arkwright Street.

The stamp shop on the bottom of Wollaton Street was certainly in being during the 50's, as I was a regular punter.

"...20 mixed Commonwealth 6p, 40 USA 8p etc, Magyar,Svierge.Polkski,Belgique,Andorra,Tonga,Haitii et al..."

IIRC, the rather wierd owner/dealer at that time was considered to be one of the country's leading philatelists.

Another mecca for juvenile collectors was Woolworths on Bridlesmith Gate...

Can't recall a tripe shop adjacent to the Theatre Royal.

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

As a stamp shop they certainly spoke a load of "TRIPE" .They valued my 'First day covers set' (Every one from Prince Charles investiture as the "Prince of Wales' in 69 to the modern day (90)) at about £200, even though they were worth on average £5 each (And I had about 100 of them !!)

There were also several "Flown covers" in there including Apollo missions and early space shuttle flights.

there was a tripe shop on wollaton street , opposite the gibbons stamp shop . used to sell tripe and onions, think it was where the royal hotel is now

So it is true!! I think I owe my old Dad a pint!! Doubting his integrity!

One of my favourite dishes, tripe, either cooked with onions and mashed spuds or raw with lots of pepper and vinegar. You can't seem to get it now.

Having worked as an electrician for the Nottingham Coop.

I worked at the Coop Slaughter house and saw what Cow Tripe contained.

I would not touch it if you gave me a months holiday with wages.!

Thanks for that Mick, just what I wanted to know! I'll still partake though.

Isn't tripe bleached to make it look more palletable.....

Dog tripe isn't bleached and that looks and smells disgusting, wouldn't want that with onions, I'll stick with liver thank you very much.

Bip.

Dog tripe isn't bleached and that looks and smells disgusting, wouldn't want that with onions, I'll stick with liver thank you very much.

Bip.

Ever tried Sweatmeats Den??

Nah they're a load of bo**ocks......... smile2

Praire oysters you mean!

I thought sweetmeats covered brains, testicles, heart and kidneys.

Ever tried Sweatmeats Den??

Seen this as something of a 'rite of passage' for the young lads to eat working on the ranches in Alberta, Canada. Yikes!

I did have a go at some tripe once when young on the advice of my mum. Didn't seem to taste of anything to me, apart from the vinegar on it. That's after I'd caught it.

Bip.

I don`t think its bleached ,Den. At aged 5,I would ride pillion on my mate Johny Hardy`s bike (he was also 5!) down to a shed at the rear of a shop on Handel st. off Bath st.,where a group of old codgers had this huge foul smelling vat of animal entrails boiling away.No bleach was used in the process! I think they supplied most of the tripe in Nottingham. John`s uncle was the boss there. Opposite there used to be a pub,(think it was called the `Tripe to Jerusalem`!!!).

One of my favourite dishes, tripe, either cooked with onions and mashed spuds or raw with lots of pepper and vinegar. You can't seem to get it now.

Disgusting stuff - my gran used to cook it.... Gordon Ramsey tried bringing it back into fashion

Nowt wrong we tripe n onions, had it all me life, mashed spuds and a lovely creamy sauce doused in lashings of brown sauce, cow eel aint bad too. if yer want brought up on that stuff you aint a true Nottingham lad.

• 3 weeks later...
My Dad swears blind that there was a shop, still there opposite the Theatre Royal - was a stamp shop last time I saw it, that sold nothing but tripe in the 50's. Can anyone verify this, or is it a load of old tripe?

When we used to drink in the Turf Tavern in the late 50s early 60s, some of the blokes used to nip out to Tom Sandersons tripe shop, just down the street and bring it back in and eat it out of the paper, some of them dipped it into their pint of mild! I was often offered some to try, but never did.

The landlady, Beatie West used to love it.

Regards.

• 5 weeks later...
As a stamp shop they certainly spoke a load of "TRIPE" .They valued my 'First day covers set' (Every one from Prince Charles investiture as the "Prince of Wales' in 69 to the modern day (90)) at about £200, even though they were worth on average £5 each (And I had about 100 of them !!)

There were also several "Flown covers" in there including Apollo missions and early space shuttle flights.

Regarding the stamp shop, what was the chinese restaurant called that was next door or next but one to it?

Cheers, Johnl.

Hi John

Think you mean The Canton Chinese restaurant, used it a lot in the 60's. Mrs Chung the owner used to sit in the corner and count the takings at the end of the night. Also think its been mentioned before on a another thread.

Val

• 7 years later...