old stanton ironworks development

I've made my protest next I should imagine I will have to sort out me green wellies.

Bip.

I have many happy memories of walking, riding my bicycle, motorcycle and driving in the area - the hill into Dale Abbey with the corner at the bottom was always huge excitement on a bicycle! There used to be an "old fashioned" pub in Stanton-by-Dale that sold Bass from a jug - wonderful!

As kids we used to go to "Stoney Clouds" in Sandiacre - but the M1 put a stop to that. I guess I have no problem with the old Ironworks site being turned into housing, but why the heck would they want to build a new road - M1 access seems the perfect solution!

I used to know the "back way" to Ilkeston that went right through the ironworks - at one point there was a long, narrow bridge you went under, almost like a tunnel - made for great sounds on my Triumph 500! Then there was that unique "Ironworks" smell - I guess I don't miss that!

I had my share of "romantic encounters" in the area too ;) - and no, they had nothing to do with sheep!

The email I sent to that chap last night [barrie walford] bounced back this morning.....could be he's been inundated with emails and shot himself....

Bip.

Hi Bip

My e-mail went ok, perhaps you are right and he has closed it down, next it will be off U-tube. We haven't got much open land round here, Beeston, Chilwell, Toton and Long Eaton have all merged into one.

Val

• 2 weeks later...