Does anyone remember 'Space City'.I think that's what it was called.It was a video game arcade on Parliament St,close to where Ritzys nightclub was.Spent many a 10p peice in there!

There was also a 'virtual reality' shop in Hockley for a while.You donned a headset,stood inside a fibreglass tree stump and paid good money to get an instant headache and land based seasickness!!!Quality 80's fun!

I vaguely recall 'Space City'

But the virtual reality place I do remember well. I never went in ,but you could see the serious ones walking in there dressed in "Crusader "style armour etc

I used to go in the "Lazer Quest " in the old Woolies building at the bottom of Hockley. I think it's a pub now. It was great after a hard day at work , to go in and blast hell out of total strangers.Tuesday night was great £10 and play as many times as you wanted

Been to Laser Quest in D*rby.

Great fun till you shoot yerself in the mirrors!

Are you thinking of "Sun Valley Amusements" Parliament Street, near the Bus depot?

No - Laser Quest was at the bottom of Hockley/Goose gate. Right on the corner. As beefy says, the old Wollies Building. (I'd forgotten about that)

Goose gate is Hockley continuation? That is the virtual reality centre we are talking of. Sun Valley (Owned by Barry Noble of the Astoria fame) is on Lower Parliament st opposite the Ice Centre next door to where Craigs dad had his shop (It's nowhere near as big as it used to be, can't be as much disposable income going round)

Goose gate is Hockley continuation? That is the virtual reality centre we are talking of. Sun Valley (Owned by Barry Noble of the Astoria fame) is on Lower Parliament st opposite the Ice Centre next door to where Craigs dad had his shop (It's nowhere near as big as it used to be, can't be as much disposable income going round)

No the virtual reality place wasn't Laser Quest. It was about half way up Goose Gate on the left hand side.

Sorry if I was not clear , I know they were different places as I said in my first post on this subject. I was asking where the virtual reality centre was that you were talking about ,?was it the one up on the left hand side (Heading up towards the George ) or was there another (earlier) incarnation

Beefsteak's got the right spot for the virtual reality(on the left going up the hill in Hockley)As for Space City,it was roughly opposite(I think)the Gas showroom on Parliament St.It definately wasn't a Sun Valley.It had 'proper' video games,Star Wars,Dig Dug,Galaxians etc.Always full of spotty youths and a bit of a dump if I remember rightly :)

I know this is off topic completely,but did I read somewhere that the Aviary is CLOSED????What's the world coming to?You'll be telling me that my beloved Notts County are not a quality footie team next!

Sorry if I was not clear , I know they were different places as I said in my first post on this subject. I was asking where the virtual reality centre was that you were talking about ,?was it the one up on the left hand side (Heading up towards the George ) or was there another (earlier) incarnation

I mis-read your first post. Yes, that's the place. !englandflag!

Virtuality plc was a spin off from Loughborough University and was the first company to develop low-cost virtual reality headsets for the gaming market. They used Amiga technology and The Goose Gate center was a demonstrator for their products.

It was always going to be a tough call for them given their relative lack of financial and manufacturing muscle compared with the Japanese and American competition. The company was wound up in the late 90s.

Beefsteak's got the right spot for the virtual reality(on the left going up the hill in Hockley)As for Space City,it was roughly opposite(I think)the Gas showroom on Parliament St.It definately wasn't a Sun Valley.It had 'proper' video games,Star Wars,Dig Dug,Galaxians etc.Always full of spotty youths and a bit of a dump if I remember rightly :)

I know this is off topic completely,but did I read somewhere that the Aviary is CLOSED????What's the world coming to?You'll be telling me that my beloved Notts County are not a quality footie team next!

IMMSC Space city is now a Taxi office as for the last comment MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM (A Notts County fan here too)

• 13 years later...

This thread is old - but what the heck. I was a regular at Space City 1982-85. Yes it was on Parliament Street opposite where Argos now is. As others have said - it became a taxi firm. It was my favourite arcade in Nottingham having some of the best video games - missile command - defender - pole position and track and field. It also had a lot of the popular fruit machines from those days  - Line Up was a great one. I think there were three areas - the room on the corner had all the fruit machines and there were 2 more full of video games. Up the street to Goose Gate there was a Cascade that was also very good but it was more for fruit machine gamblers. The Sun Valley arcades were fruit machines only and typically played by old women. Yes mis spent youth indeed but had some great times in there and made some good friends.

• 10 months later...