• 7 years later...

Go It Alone...... Jason Isbell. ...... Give it a listen..... Number 11 of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone else got bit by the Link Wray bug?

Rumble Fish/ Pulp Fiction and many other films contain his sexual and mesmerising riffs.

A Shawnee native guy loses a lung in Korea and is told he can't sing again- Archie Blayer..the Hideaway chap... took him on and Rumble was one of thee first banned records!

He found his voice/along with Doug- his Brother.

Gutsy real Rock n Roll!!

The Rumble Ian. Brilliant. Rumble Fish was the group formed by Bruce Springsteens wife, Patti Scialfa.

• 2 weeks later...

I recorded the prog from Friday night on BBC4. Also Guitar Heroes for the umpteenth time. Rarely have Rory on, although he was Bob Harris's favourite on Whistle Test .

What about 'Diddle diddle diddle de'....... The intro to Layla played by the late great Duane Allman.

The greatest 7 notes in the history of rock music! 

I suppose I have many favourites but my "favourite" favourite is "Hotel California" by the Eagles.

Second to that would be "Paperback Writer" by the Beatles.

• 1 year later...

Always an enlightening subject. When I was a lot younger the raw guitar riffs inspiring my emotions were Tobacco Road by Nashville Teens, Stones Satisfaction and All Over Town and, later, any of the guitar bits in Ramjams Black Betty. 

And The Kinks You Really Got Me.

Hmm ...1964...Skegness..Butlins.....

Anyway, Earnie Shears' intro to Cliff's Move it we also considered brilliant because we could easily copy it and annoy the parents, along with The Pirates Shaking all Over.

Alvin Lee got a mention earlier and quite rightly too, most of his work was impressive imo. So, moving off riffs, consider the guitar in his The Bluest Blues 2nd improv, it hints at a bit Gilmor-ish in places.

Knopfler was always good for a riff too.

So much to choose from it's difficult for me to make a definitive choice, it depends a lot on the weather.

• Upvote 1

Eye of the Tiger...... Survivor,

Can't Explain...... The Who. 

The Warning....... Black Sabbath.

All Along The Watchtower........ Billy Valentine