Here's some more nostalgia for you! www.annesleyfireman.com

Tell ya wot? Turn yer sound up, theres some great stereo sound effects on there!

Welcome BigKris

The picture below brought back some memories for me....see the lads on the downward ramp top right of picture.......I remember standing on that ramp myself when i was little with me dad.

The picture was taken at Victoria station.

And IMMSC isn't one of the two turn tables behind the train..

Thanks bigkris for the memory jog..

Bip.

44717.jpg

I took the liberty of changing Kri's link to a live link to make it easier for folks to get there.

John

I took the liberty of changing Kri's link to a live link to make it easier for folks to get there.

John

Nice one John....now it's idiot proof.

Bip.

I do me best old chum!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Taking a closer look at this picture I have deduced I am actually in the picture. I'm the lad with the short trouses on wearing the skool cap seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee me?

Bip.

44717.jpg

Nice picture, I was born quite a bit after this station closed & that but I love seeing pictures of it. It's a pity really it was.

Hi and WELCOME to SmithGem !englandflag!

It's currently the 50th anniversary of the closure of the former M&GN railway.

If you're not sure what significance that had to Nottingham, well it was basically a holiday line that branched off the Nottingham/ Melton/ Corby line just east of Melton at Saxby Junction, that ran across to Norfolk and served the coastal holiday resorts, particularly Great Yarmouth, I remember well going to Yarmouth for my holidays in the mid 50's and Yarmouth Beach Station being stuffed full of holiday trains from the East Midlands.

I'm sure that many Nottingham folk used this service to go on holiday in the heyday of the railways.

One of the few bits of the line still in operation is run by the North Norfolk Railway from Sheringham to Holt and this weekend and the next, they are running a special service, packed with trains run by different, guest steam locos.

If you Google NNR and go on their website, you'll see what they are up to, but you may be impressed by the live web cams that are on offer from each station, check them out, it really is like a scene from the 50's that changes every few minutes.