What was your Co-op Divi number?

Tomlinson, my good friend from school lived on Tunstall, Sandra Greenhalgh, she was born in 1947 but had older brothers and sisters.

Yes, I knew Sandra. She lived round what we called,'The Circle', a fenced off grassed area about opposite where we lived. I once hit her with a brick! Unintentional of course, and I think it was she who once stripped and ate all the fruit from a neighbour's cherry tree. I saw her shortly afterwards, covered in red juice looking like a bad accident. I only vaguely remember her brothers and sisters. I was born 1943. The people I knew on Harwill were, Carol Gibbs; Pauline Bentley; Glennis Cartmail(?)and a family of Wakefield lads. (Dougie deceased. I don't know about the rest). I'll contact my elder sister for more info'. She has a better memory than I for these things.

Talk again soon.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember I was a patient at the Children's Hospital and the Doctor said I could go home and did I know my Mum's telephone number. No I said but I know her Co op number it's 92092

3009 - Varney Road, Clifton I can remember going in there with my Mum, who would look down her nose at people who asked for 'tick' (credit) or those who bought margarine instead of butter! I remembe

Do you remember that a lot of the co-op shops had a central cashier, and all the different departments were connected to her by an aerial despatch system. They put your money and check in the containe

Posted Images

I am still in contact with Sandra, will ask about the cherry incident! I remembered she lived in the circle and her dad bred budgies at the bottom of their back garden.

Right! I've worked the oracle and consulted my sister. She of course remembers Sandra and tells me that at the time Sandra worked at the shops on Broxtowe Lane, she became quite friendly with my mother, who died some years ago. She reminded me that Sandra's sister, Betty, lived just over the back from our house. She remembers there was also a brother whose name she can't recall. Going back to the cherry tree incident, I'm not 100% certain Sandra was involved and no doubt she would deny it; but then, she would, wouldn't she!

• 8 months later...

and I can remember when the co-op on Wilford Road, the medders, went 'self service' in the early 50s when I was about 9.

I couldn`t understand how you could serve yourself without people nicking stuff.

When you went in you handed your shopping bag/basket over a counter. This was put into a sort of cage and you were given a wire basket to get your shopping.

Then you brought your stuff back to the counter, paid, and swapped back to your own bag.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for the reminder.

I will bank my Coop Divi vouchers today.

Yes you still get it.

I seldom now shop at the Coop, its too expensive, but got nearly 30 quid for nowt, for banking with them.

Not to be sniffed at nowadays :)

79962 Clifton, Southchurch Drive and one on Varney Road. I was fascinated by the Divi till, the extra bit stuck on the top with the levers that selected the numbers. I remember at least once my mum having to tell them they'd put the wrong number on, either by mistake or deliberately using a mates number. I used to remember my grandmas number, though all that I can recall about that one now was that it began with '3'

I remember the Long Eaton Coop being taken over by Nottingham 60s or early 70s? (Year?)

But an surprised they had a branch in Chilwell? or was it Beeston as well?

Yes mick, there was a Co-op in Beeston.

I cannot remember my mum's Co-op number, so I feel really cheated in life; especially as I used to go and collect her divi for her from the uppermost floor of the Co-op, Parliament Street; I remember catching the lift up there and the huge, lift attendant in his splendid uniform calling out the different floor levels as we made our way to the top.

So yes, I feel really cheated that I cannot for the life of me remember my mum's Co-op number.

The Coops have lost the plot as far as retailing goes.

They lost it years ago due to bad management.

They should still be up there with the Tescos and Morrisons.

But can no longer compete, prices always much higher.

In 1974 when the opened the new Broad Marsh Coop, in the

window we sa a coffee table with glass top containing twinkling lights.

300 quid! We knew then that Coop had lost the plot.

Perhaps a new thread, Coops closing down?

Maybe so but try comparing the food under reduction with that of some of the others. Fantastic bargains to be had in the Co-op by comparison. I popped into the Southwell store yesterday and bought a load of good quality food with a few days remaining on it for around twenty pounds.

In 1974 when the opened the new Broad Marsh Coop, in the

window we sa a coffee table with glass top containing twinkling lights.

300 quid! We knew then that Coop had lost the plot.

Perhaps a new thread, Coops closing down?

The one on Southchurch Drive, Clifton had a quite magnificent mirrored staircase, something you wouldn't expect to see in a 'food shop' on a council estate. It was a wonder to see as kid. I think the one on Parliament Street had some quite interesting features too, you could look all the way the down the middle of the staircase there, from the top floor it was a scary sight, the only place I can remember that you could do that. I think that one also had the first escalator I went on.