What was your Co-op Divi number?

OMG a Chrysler LeBaron! The last incarnation of the dreaded K-car! Widely regarded as not exactly the finest car ever to come out of Chrysler.

However, it is now a FIAT - but I hear good things are happening and we should be seeing new stuff next year based on FIAT and Nissan platforms. Also new engines - which Chrysler need very badly as they are way behind in the fuel economy standings.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember I was a patient at the Children's Hospital and the Doctor said I could go home and did I know my Mum's telephone number. No I said but I know her Co op number it's 92092

3009 - Varney Road, Clifton I can remember going in there with my Mum, who would look down her nose at people who asked for 'tick' (credit) or those who bought margarine instead of butter! I remembe

Do you remember that a lot of the co-op shops had a central cashier, and all the different departments were connected to her by an aerial despatch system. They put your money and check in the containe

Posted Images

Found On Reservation Dump,as they say over here. When Ford reintroduced (again) the 'Mustang',it was a poor imitation of its original.There were so many on the road,it seemed as if you got one free with a full tank of petrol.

They are just stating to advertise the new 2013 model,it looks big,beefy,and fast.But it is still a Ford.

Fix Or Repair Daily

Effing old rusty dung

Re the LeBaron, it turned a few heads (And a few corners (Just) I never got to 'play' with it though ! I'd have loved to have opened it up to see what it could have done !

By the way , somebody in the ' posh' village of Whitegate (About two miles away) has a red one on a 'W' plate (early 200) Where they still making them then or is that 'cause it's an import ?

I did say that I do not rate USA cars. Most have the style of a breeze block.

The Mustang though in its many incarnations has been an exception from most.

I will have to change my avatar for something more 'European' :)

We seem to have drifted from the Co-op.

Co-op stamps that replaced the 'Divi'. As with Green Shield etc, the glue tasted dreadful. Also, quite unhygenic bearing in mind some of the establishments that issued them.

coop.jpg

I know a bloke who bought a Porche with his "Amex" card. Nothing unusual about that i hear you say (Cause I've bought both my last two with 'Switch' ) but this was '77 !!

• 2 weeks later...

84743 redeemed for cash at coop house parlt.st. top floor

ps round the corner from where Santa was every Xmas

• 4 weeks later...

82646 [pronounced EIGHT two six FOUR six] until we moved to Long Eaton, which was a different Co-op society, when it became 13951. My grandmother's was 45664 (which incidentally, was also the number of a Jubilee class loco "Nelson".)

carnt remember my mums divi number either bur the co op at netherfield had four indervidual shops too . and when the new one was built it was never the same food only and the quality was never as good ,you had to go up the long flight of stairs to the dance hall concert rooms to get your divi set up with four or five tables for you to go and get it from. always knew when it was divi day not sure if it was once or twice a year, but there would be people queweing all the way up the stairs and down dennis st the co op coal mans yard was through the arch at the side of that door big double gates onto the yard and all the goods for the shops whent in that way too. mum would always treat us to tea at corner house cafe on divi day too and she would go and get herself a perm about this time too.

just been thinking there maaay have been five shops .

the butchers the hardwear the green grocer the grocers and the furniture but i am having difficulty remembering if grocery and green crocery were seperate shops or just one on one side of shop and one on the other. any of you old nevoites rememberits the old age creeping in you know.

babs

3009 - Varney Road, Clifton

I can remember going in there with my Mum, who would look down her nose at people who asked for 'tick' (credit) or those who bought margarine instead of butter!

I remember being sent to that Co-op and the other shops on Varney Road as a child, with a shopping list and the right money! Occasionally something would have gone up by a halfpenny and Mr Greenwood in Marsdens would say "Tell your Mum she owes me a halfpenny, but it will do nex time." I hated that, as when I got home and told my Mum, she always made me go back again with the halfpenny!

Also remember one school holiday, me and my sister were paid three pence each by a neighbour to collect all the caterpillars off his cabbages in his huge garden. We were so thrilled at having earned this small fortune that we went immediately afterwards down to Varney Road to buy sweets, still with dozens of caterpillars in the shoebox. Brian, the manager in BPS, the fruit shop, asked us what was in the box, and when we showed him, he promised an apple and an orange if we would lend him the caterpillars. So we did, he took it into the back of the shop where his lady assistant was, and then we heard the most terrible screams as he showed them to her! Bargain for us, though - threepence and an orange, in addition to our weekly sixpence pocket money. We were rich!

• Upvote 1

Do you remember that a lot of the co-op shops had a central cashier, and all the different departments were connected to her by an aerial despatch system. They put your money and check in the container, clipped it onto the carriage and pulled a handle which sent it whizzing off along the wire to the cashier's desk. She would then put your change into the container and send it back. The New Sawley co-op consisted of about 4 shops in a row, with the fishmongers at the extreme end. If you were waiting in the butcher's you got fish "expresses" hurtling out of a hole in the wall on one side of the shop and disappearing through a hole on the other side. Fascinating stuff about age 6 !

• Upvote 1

I remember being sent to that Co-op and the other shops on Varney Road as a child,

Brian, the manager in BPS, the fruit shop,

I remember the fruit shop there, but I could never remember the name - BPS.........I seem to recall they were a (local?) chain because I'm sure there was more than one of them in the area.

In another earlier thread about Farrands grocers, I'd mentioned Varney Road shops but I'd missed BPS

Varney Road still has shops on it, but they've all changed hands many times since the 60s.

When I were a lad it had..... a Co-op; Sketchley cleaners; Marsden groceries; Rediffusion TV; Dewhurst butchers; Freeman Hardy Willis shoes; Boots chemist; Fourbuoys newsagents.

I think there was a BPS stall on the Central Market, too.

There was also a shop called The Maypole (Dairy?) that sold the same sort of things as Marsdens. They had boxes of biscuits that you could buy loose by weight.

I drove along Varney Road this week, to recce a photo studio I'm going to next week and I notice the Co-op is now Mace. There used to be a chemist inside, but seperate from, the main store and round on Greencroft there was a beer-off.

I drove along Varney Road this week, to recce a photo studio I'm going to next week and I notice the Co-op is now Mace. There used to be a chemist inside, but seperate from, the main store and round on Greencroft there was a beer-off.

Can I suggest a slight variation on that........I think the beer-off was inside but separate - you went in the main glass doors on Varney Road, turned left into the main store or straight ahead to the beer-off. Up on the corner on Greencroft was the paint/wallpaper department.

VW Golf......in another thread you referred to the shops on Sandham Walk/Orford Avenue. Where did you live, because you were obviously in the same area at the same time as me?

New Sawley Co-op was on the left of Tamworth Road, about 150 yards after going under the railway bridge at what was then called Sawley Junction station. I think its still a co-op shop now, but of course it was all knocked together into one many years ago.

I think it had a completely new frontage, early 60s I guess, but it wasn't a total rebuild (and indeed, as my mum did her weekly grocery shopping there, I'm pretty sure it stayed open during the major operations). We lived on Roosevelt Avenue from 1954 until I got married in 1981, and my mum lived there until she died in 2000. The station was Sawley Junction until, I think, 1968 - I worked on the railway at Derby works, and my first year's residential free pass was between "Sawley Junction and Derby" - the following year it became "Long Eaton and Derby". The Trent north curve branched off to the left of the Nottingham line just after the bridge over Tamworth Road, and followed the course of what is now Fields Farm Road. It then turned a very sharp right hand curve to reach Trent station from the Nottingham end. Station Master was George Manning, who lived on Wilsthorpe Road; Porters Arthur Slatcher and Bill Brighouse; Booking clerk Les Marriott - a cheerful and helpful bunch. Local trains were steam until 1958, and expresses a bit longer. Until the 70s (I think) the booking office down at road level was the other way round from now - the public side was where the staff now are and vice versa (assuming it is still staffed at all these days). In winter there was a coal fire in there, and bench seating for waiting passengers. There was a bell mounted outside, sounded by the signalman to warn them it was time to quit the warmth and walk up the long slope to the platform.

• Upvote 1

Can I suggest a slight variation on that........I think the beer-off was inside but separate - you went in the main glass doors on Varney Road, turned left into the main store or straight ahead to the beer-off. Up on the corner on Greencroft was the paint/wallpaper department.

VW Golf......in another thread you referred to the shops on Sandham Walk/Orford Avenue. Where did you live, because you were obviously in the same area at the same time as me?

Bulcote Road, off Greencroft from about 1953 to 1967-ish. Where were you?

Yes, now you mention it, I think the beer-off was inside the glass doors originally and wall paper shop round the corner, but either before or after, it was chemist behind the glass doors and beer-off round the corner. It's quite a long time ago.

On the subject of the original thread my mums Co-op number was 9253 and she used to shop at the Ranmere Road branch on the Beechdale Estate. It had a chemists next door where I used to buy Spanish root and chew it on the way to Beechdale Primary School. The Co-op used to sell biscuits from glass lidded tins before being weighed into paper bags.I always pestered my mum to buy the fig rolls but she never did. Guess what my favourite biscuits are and have been for nearly 60 years?

The school and the Co-op have long since gone but I see on Google Maps the green in front of Ambergate Rd shops is still there. I used to play football and cricket on there in the 50's.

The newsagents used to have a wonderful smell I recall as did the hardware shop.

Someone on Friends Reunited posted about the abandoned car and fallen tree that was on what was waste ground behind the green. It's all built on now but back in the 50's we used to play on the rough ground on our way back home from school.

Happy days.