What was your Co-op Divi number?

Yes it was sometimes spelt as one word, but when I was young you usually saw it as two words. My parents always spelled it as two words, and one usually does what mam and dad did.

Interesting, on the map, it is placed beyond the crossroad. Strictly speaking this is Nuthall. On the opposite corner to 'TH', which used to be a toll house, there was the county boundary marker. This was removed when Holden Square was demolished during the building of the big island. However, I remember the date on the marker was 189x, so perhaps Cinder Hill did extend into what is now Nuthall.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember I was a patient at the Children's Hospital and the Doctor said I could go home and did I know my Mum's telephone number. No I said but I know her Co op number it's 92092

3009 - Varney Road, Clifton I can remember going in there with my Mum, who would look down her nose at people who asked for 'tick' (credit) or those who bought margarine instead of butter! I remembe

Do you remember that a lot of the co-op shops had a central cashier, and all the different departments were connected to her by an aerial despatch system. They put your money and check in the containe

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Thank you so much Cliff Ton. I am amazed. I was sure it would have gone years ago. The last time I was in there getting the usual butter and milk was in about 1949. Silver surfer you see.

The two lovely buildings either side I always admired.

I used to live in Dalby Square just off Farndon Green, Wollaton Park

Cheers all, from the south of France

Hi DavidL My grand parents used to live in Dalby Square. I wonder if you ever knew them ? Alice and Harry Savage. They used the co-op in Farndon Green I think but can't remember the number.

This reminds me, when the remaining Co-op Department Stores closed in Ilkeston, Long Eaton, Derby etc. I though that was the end of them everywhere.

Apparently not. On my recent travels, I've found that the Co-op still has them in Nuneaton, Coventry and Scunthorpe.

It appears it was just this area where they couldn't make a go of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Richonmc1

At last getting somewhere with trying to contact someone from all those years ago.

First can I put you right on the Co-op. There wasn't one in Farndon Green. Post office, butcher, bread shop, clothing shop and Mrs. Whettons the lovely general store and lastly a greengrocers.

The name you have given me rings a long lost bell. What number where they in Dalby Square?

Regards,

David L.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richonmc1

At last getting somewhere with trying to contact someone from all those years ago.

First can I put you right on the Co-op. There wasn't one in Farndon Green. Post office, butcher, bread shop, clothing shop and Mrs. Whettons the lovely general store and lastly a greengrocers.

The name you have given me rings a long lost bell. What number where they in Dalby Square?

Regards,

David L.

They lived at number 4, Their son, John, died last year. And their daughter, Mary Deru, my mum, died in 2004. I remember Mary and Eric who lived next door at number 3.About the same age as me....Thanks for the correction. It was a long time ago !!

I also remember Eric and Mary very well. We must both be about the same age then. I was born in1940 in Dalby Square. So how come we cannot remember each other?

Can you remember anyone else? I remember the Palmers John and Peter at I think nr 8. Their dad used to run a steam train in their front garden as a he worked at British Rail. Are they still there I ask?

Keep well

David L.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Our divi no was 13802 - funny what you remember isn't it, especially as nowadays I get half way through a sentence and forget what I was saying.....

The Co-op moved onto stamps, I bought my daughter's pram from Upper Parliament St, the assistant told me to come back next day when it was double stamps.

Can anyone remember Brooke Bond divi tea, you got a stamp on the packet and exchanged a full card at Woolworths near Broad Marsh for 5 bob?