Original Design of Nottingham Town Hall

Ayup Stan,

Good picture, I do notice though a distinct lack of litter, do you think litter was designed in at a later stage or is it just a Nottingham phenomena. Still your picture shows how pleasant the council house and market square could and should look

Rog

To stop litter , anywhere, they should

1. Reduce the amount of unwanted packaging ie, one bag ,one box, one cup, one straw,one serviette, for one bloody burger.

2. Make picking up litter interesting and exciting for kids. Like there used to be at "Butlins" Skeggy all those years ago, there were rubbish bins in the shape of frogs, cats , dogs etc with a vacuum motor inside that used to suck the litter from your hands (Then again health and safety would probably have a fit!!!) But there was not a bit of litter to be found any where, kids would ask adults (Strangers) for there chewing gum wrappers, fag buts , etc just to put them in the bins!!.

I agree ,Beefy.

But I do miss the beggars and their dogs,the vomiting drunks, and the `Big Issue ' sellers.

I wonder if the locals meet their future partners by the left lion?

Sod em, if they can't sort their lives out .I did so why can't they???

Well, what with all this talk about 'uncontrolable kids with knives, I like hte idea of litter bins that just hoover them right up.

To stop litter , anywhere, they should

1. Reduce the amount of unwanted packaging ie, one bag ,one box, one cup, one straw,one serviette, for one bloody burger.

2. Make picking up litter interesting and exciting for kids. Like there used to be at "Butlins" Skeggy all those years ago, there were rubbish bins in the shape of frogs, cats , dogs etc with a vacuum motor inside that used to suck the litter from your hands (Then again health and safety would probably have a fit!!!) But there was not a bit of litter to be found any where, kids would ask adults (Strangers) for there chewing gum wrappers, fag buts , etc just to put them in the bins!!.

Sod em, if they can't sort their lives out .I did so why can't they???

I didn't know you used to be a 'Big Issue' seller! I see you still have an eye for spotting them!

PS - when did the slab square toilets disappear?

• 4 years later...

around the sqare is much better for litter now with all the fines they handding out published in the papers makes some people think a bit more

Radfordred #8

When i Started courting my hubby,the first time he came to Notts from West Mids the only place to meet him was of course

By The Left Lion On The Market Square

Where Else LOL

That's the problem I always had, never knew which one was the Left one!! It was best to hang around in the middle, then if you really didn't fancy your date when you were sober at least you could slither away without being spotted, and catch the bus home, lol

I didn't know you used to be a 'Big Issue' seller! I see you still have an eye for spotting them!

PS - when did the slab square toilets disappear?

As far as I know there are now only three lots of "public" toilets in Nottingham.

1) Broad Marsh Centre

2) Victoria Centre

3) Greyhound Street(NOT FREE)

anybody know of any more in the city centre?

At one time there were loads.

I remember the public toilets on the opposite end of the square from the council houses,down some steps,they saved my day many times,and there used to be so many in my time living in Notts,i have memories of old fashioned black railings and all being underground,the ones i definitely recall were near the theatre royal some where,anyone know if they were filled in or just closed up.This has given me an idea for a new topic.

As far as I know there are now only three lots of "public" toilets in Nottingham.

1) Broad Marsh Centre

2) Victoria Centre

3) Greyhound Street(NOT FREE)

anybody know of any more in the city centre?

At one time there were loads.

Nothing like as many as there used to be. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9861&hl=toilet#entry131414