[Moved from another topic]

Wonder if the boatclubs still exist?

The boatclubs at one time were the in place for music and live bands, regular catawailing could be heard coming from the clubs at the weekends, and apparently Led Zeppelin once played there so I've been told.

what year did it end?

Yes indeed Al

There were some Famous people who appeared on the Stage at those clubs.

"The Union" which was more progressive had groups like Cream.

"The Boat Club' Which was more Rock, I saw a Afro Rock Group called DANTA

"The Brit" was more soul Mod stuff. I saw Ben E King sing Stand by me here.

There was also a club in the basement of the Bridgeford Hotel, (now the Rushcliffe Borough Council Civic Centre). I can't remember the name, but it was where Zak + Kirt started. They later moved on the Babel Club on Huntingdon Street.

The boat clubs folded as more Night Clubs opened in the city, but what year I do not know. Early-mid 70's?

In the late 80's I had to visit The Brit as part of my current job. The (young) manager stood back in amazement as I immediately upon arrival jumped on to the stage to the exact position I used to dance to Osibisa, Music for Gong Gong,

and Mimic Led Zep playing 'Black Dog'

He was even more amazed when I explained about 'Other' famouse people who had stood on that Stage. :rolleyes:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before the World Famous City Ground rose up on the banks of the River Trent  

By reputation he'd give you something, not sure if it was tickets...

Posted Images

Guest a5h4w

Well I take my hat off to you Mick!.. you've certainly served your apprenticeship on the music scene!

I have been wondering why we never actually got to go to these clubs, and if I think very hard and if I remember right, it seemed at the time that these were exclusive to the 'mod' type fraternity, and the young up and coming sports car type with money! .. in those days I was into the Triumph Thunderbird, and AJS motorcycle., and I don't think they would have appreciated my parking next to the lambretta / Vespa / frogeye sprite etc.

AND with the emergence of Hawkwind, Vanilla fudge, Zeppelin, Sabbath etc. in the early 70s, you didn't actually need to go out to these places to get the 'live' experience so to speak, all that was needed was the lights down low, stack the autochanger, and, 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' indispersed with 'you know your only dreaming' with a smattering of 'we took the wrong step years ago' with a little 'you shouldn't do that' in between, and when you'd done - it was off to the Flying Horse to sober up! :blink:

AL.

Shame you couldnt bring your bike down to the Union Rowing club on a Sunday night. You would have heard such classics as...

Watching the river flow - Bob Dylan

Layla - Derrick & the Dominoes (Eric Clapton)

Roll away the stone - Leon Russell

Jingo - Santana

Yeh Yeh the Smell - Ginger Baker/Fella Ransome Kute

Music for Gong Gong - Osibisa

Gimme Some Lovin - Traffic

Fire & Rain - James Taylor

I am sure we can think of many more.

DJ Petal was a master in finding future classic tracks.

Certainly in the late 60's, early 70's, the boat clubs were the place to go.

Incidentally the Nearby 'Outlaws Bar' was a bikers pub. You could

have parked there and walked down.

Guest a5h4w

well I definitely missed out on those!

probably my moving to st.anns (Bangor St.) around that time, with new areas of exploration, was the reason I never made it down there, also I've never been a true devotee of the 'live' music scene to be quite honest, so that might have been another reason.. the Outlaws bar I didn't know about ..

I can remember visiting a nightclub at the nearby Hotel though, which you previously mentioned, but can't remember it being in a cellar, it seemed like we climbed steps to get in, but, it was all a bit hectic in those days, and was all a bit of a haze! ..

favourite haunts around that time were ad lib, Flying horse, the Cavendish at Carlton, Grey Goose Gedling, and various other nightclubs, was it the Hippo?

and there was one at the side of the old Woolworths..

Redbone - witch queen of new orleans would be playing wherever you'd visit, followed by Hot love, Bridget the Midget, He's gonna step on you again, and in the summertime, by Mungo Jerry.. and was it - 'you wear it well' - Rod stewart?

AL.

The one at the side of Woolies was the 8-till-Late.

You were give a light meal to then comply with licencing laws, which required you to eat to be able to drink late :o

• 4 months later...

Yes there was a club that you climbed steps up to outside at the Bridgford Hotel called the 99 club and you could get free tickets in town if you saw the right people. The club at the side of woolworths was the Dungeon Club (saw the Who at all nighter there) which closed about 1966 and became the Big Apple before going through a whole host of names later on which included the 8 till late. Hippo was on Bridlesmith Gate and is still there but under another name of course. Fond memories of Flying Horse, round the corner to the Dog & Bear and then Fountain before finishing off at the QE up Bottle Lane before heading for Ad Lib or similar.

Guest scooterboy

i'm only a whipper snapper, but i do remember the boat club at the side of city ground in the late 80s early 90s. only for the calverton hornets scooter club do's. if i remember right they also had one there last year some time with live music. :ph34r:

Cala

The 99 Club was where Zak & Kurt Started. They then opened The Babel Club,

just above the Huntingdon Street bus station. In the late 70's early 80's, Babel

was one of (if not the) most prestigious clubs in Nottingham. I had a Babel Gold Card

(Everyone OOOOOoooooooo!!) :rolleyes:

Your route pretty much followed mine, perhaps I might even know you from town.

However my final stop was often The Arriba Club on Bottle Lane.

This was famous for the carpet, which used to stick to your feet! :huh:

YO Scoots.. what I'd like to know is..

What kind of music does the modern day scooterist listen to, ♪♪

do they have any modern idols, Shania, Brittany, Janet, Kylie maybe ? :huh:

Or do they still scratch on down to Itchycoo park, or ride the Magic bus with Happy Jack ? B)

oh.. and.. do the laces in your desert boots still work loose and wrap around the brake pedal? :blink:

ilko..

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Cala

The 99 Club was where Zak & Kurt Started. They then opened The Babel Club,

just above the Huntingdon Street bus station. In the late 70's early 80's, Babel

was one of (if not the) most prestigious clubs in Nottingham. I had a Babel Gold Card

(Everyone OOOOOoooooooo!!) :rolleyes:

Your route pretty much followed mine, perhaps I might even know you from town.

However my final stop was often The Arriba Club on Bottle Lane.

This was famous for the carpet, which used to stick to your feet! :huh:

Flippin eck!! so many coincidences on here! I worked at The Babel for Zak and Kurt in 1979 and 1980!! I had recently joind NJD, hoping to do their mobile work, but they insisted i was better at being a club jock, and ,i guess as im still doing it, as well as having 25 years in radio under my pseudonym, i reckon they were right. I also did the club at the Bridgford, wasnt it called Toffs? i remember being told not to play punk music there, but was asked for it so many times i did,and had the whole place pogoing and gobbing allover the place!

Speaking of clubs, dont forget me, and another former Radio Trent jock, Franklin Hughes, now do Club 25 at Oceana every wednesday night , if you were into what i was playing at The Babel back then, come and hear me play it again!!! smile2

Is that the former Palais/Ritzy.

Wednesday Night GRAB A GRANNY!

Not been for about 10 years.

Might take you up on that one. Is Mick still there?

Mick Knight do you mean? no, hes been retired a few years now, and yep, the old Palais as was, but with a few million quid thrown at it. As for the ages of the ladies, there seem to be far more younger ones than the last time there was an over 25 night held there, Honest!

If you do come down, make sure you say hello too!

Grannies looking younger?

Mick Knight. He started as the Electrician at the Palais.

The DJ was Tony Rainbow.

That was at the time I saw 'The Herd', also Steve Ellis & 'Love Affair' there.

About 1968-9

Hi Craig

I was just thinking about Radio Trent & how I missed it sooo much when I came to live in Australia. After a while I got sort of used to the Perth radio stations,though they weren't nearly as good as Radio Trent,but when I came to live in woop woop [back of beyond in pommy language] Gordon Bennett !!the radio is abysmal ,absolutely shocking,the best we get is a few aussie songs............... yawn & what price the calves & sheep are on a market day,you think i'm joking nah mite !tony!

I have tried to listen to Trent via the internet & loved it but unfortunately I only get to listen to the evening shows.

When did you go to Oz? i ask that as it might have been before the dreaded GWR (now combined with the Capital group to become GCap,) got their grips on it.

Many people, myself included believe they have totally messed up the Trent so many loved, and furthermore, if you only get the night time shows, none of them come from Nottingham anyway. In fact you could listen to any station in the group, and heaven knows there are so many of them , and you would still hear the same show as its networked from bristol!

How local is that??????

I left Nottm in 1989,so i imagine before the time you are refering to. I remember a jockey called i think Steve Merrick? who also went to live in Oz,Brisbane from memory?

You went during "the good old days" pre GWR takeover, when it was a truly local station. Steve Merike came back from Oz, took a job as a car salesman, then returned back into radio, ultimately changing from Trent to Gem, and currently onto Saga 106.6 fm, where most of our old colleagues from the Trent days reside, in fact, a lot of people say its like Trent was in the good old days! You should check it out, its on the web.

much prefer Radio Nottingham no BLOODY ADVERTS!!!!!!and Terry Wogan from 7-30 to 9-30 88 to 91 FM radio 2 .& DAB.

much prefer Radio Nottingham no BLOODY ADVERTS!!!!!!and Terry Wogan from 7-30 to 9-30 88 to 91 FM radio 2 .& DAB.

I'll second that Den. The adverts, repeating every few minutes or records really does me 'ed in. Can't stand local radio now for that very reason.

Give me Terry's Togs anyday.

Saga's not too bad - if only they would drop the boring adverts. Do these people really believe that we get brainwashed into going out an buying the products just because we heard them over and over on the trannie?

Oh, and while i'm on the soap box - can't stand female jocks - the high pitched voices, innane dribble and false laughs just go through me girlvboy

I'll second that Den. The adverts, repeating every few minutes or records really does me 'ed in. Can't stand local radio now for that very reason.

Give me Terry's Togs anyday.

Saga's not too bad - if only they would drop the boring adverts. Do these people really believe that we get brainwashed into going out an buying the products just because we heard them over and over on the trannie?

Oh, and while i'm on the soap box - can't stand female jocks - the high pitched voices, innane dribble and false laughs just go through me girlvboy

Frank, youre missing the point of the ads, they actually finance the station, no ads, no commercial radio station. They dont get licence money like beeb stations do.

I agree about most female presenters, but there are exceptions to the squeeking voice variety, Amanda Bowman ( who used to be my careline reader on Trent Derby) on Saga.

And yes, Terry is the boss.