It's actually a fascinating place to stroll around in - apart from the caves and rock catacombs, there's an area called St Ann's Valley which is best described as an amphitheatre. Circular and very much lower than the rest of the cemetery - a lot of the paupers are buried here.

1478646910_a77f1a29ee.jpg

I think the cemetery, which is known as Church Cemetary, is now full.

I can tell you a story about a couple of guys who lived up at the top of Sherwood Street - in a flat over a garage that used to be there. One night after tripping the light fandango, they decided a few bones would be a perfect addition to the interior design of their flat, so they walked across Forest road and into the cemetary - at the top end of the amphitheatre.

Stumbling about in the dark, looking for a way to acquire some of the aforementioned bones they came across what appeared to be a crocodile - which freaked them out more than just a little. Scared witless they legged it back to their flat. They decided that, upon reflection, this had been an hallucinatory crocodile brought on by the mushroom soup they'd had for tea and the stress of stumbling about in the dark.

They believed that until the read the next day's evening post which ran a story about an escaped crocodile that had been caught in the cemetary............

Bit of a close encounter of the wrong kind!

It's actually a fascinating place to stroll around in - apart from the caves and rock catacombs, there's an area called St Ann's Valley which is best described as an amphitheatre. Circular and very much lower than the rest of the cemetery - a lot of the paupers are buried here.

1478646910_a77f1a29ee.jpg

I think the cemetery, which is known as Church Cemetary, is now full.

I am shocked as to how it looks from the above photograph. I have never been through the gates, only across Forest road at the top.Mind you there are a few skeletons on the opposite side of the cemetry [only these are the living variety and on the street corners and are a pain in the butt when o the school run]

It's at the junction of Forest Road and Mansfield Road. As for the opening times I'll let some one who lives near there to tell you

As someone who is tracing my family tree cemetries are very important.....can you tell me where this one is actually located and is it possible to wonder round or is it all locked up ?

You're free to wander around - I'm assuming it's the usual opening times of 9:00am - 5:00pm

I have some ancestors in the pauper's graves. I went to find them one time with my brother. Each of those flat stones has the names and ages of the occupants. There are a lot of folks under each of the slabs. Must have been very deep holes.

It's at the junction of Forest Road and Mansfield Road. As for the opening times I'll let some one who lives near there to tell you

When we were there - but it was the 70s - the place was never locked. Well spooky adfter dark though!

If you're passing there on the Mansfield Rd. Spare a thought when you reach the top of the hill...that's where the public gallows were situated for hundreds of years.

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're passing there on the Mansfield Rd. Spare a thought when you reach the top of the hill...that's where the public gallows were situated for hundreds of years.

Paul.

The gallows were where St Andrews church now stands......and as kids we all knew the sunken part of Rock Cemerty as the "Witches Hole"....was told its where they used to burn the witches.....urban myth....who knows.....

• 2 weeks later...
Theres also a project been started logging paupers graves in the cemetary

Contains some interesting information...

http://www.geocities.com/whittakergen/notts/valley/index.htm

I emailed the site owner, and got the following reply...

Hello Mike,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

Unfortunately, we had to give up the quest some time ago.

I'm afraid my web pages have been rather neglected, but I have now added a note to say so.

It would be nice to find someone who is willing to carry on with it, and I would gladly help them in any way I can.

By the way, I have had a quick browse around your Nottstalgia site and bookmarked it for later. Being of a 'certain age' myself, some of the messages brought back happy memories.

Best wishes,

Ann

As someone who is tracing my family tree cemetries are very important.....can you tell me where this one is actually located and is it possible to wonder round or is it all locked up ?

As you are tracing your family history, The Nottinghamshire Family History Society are in the process of recording the inscriptions of the Rock Cemetery.

As a member of the society, I have just finished checking some of the inscriptions, but I am not sure how many they have actually recorded.

If you want more information it may be an idea to contact them. They do have a web sit with details of who need to contact.

Byeee

mrsb

I remember a few years ago there was a satanist cult holding sacrifices there when my dads church held a huge tent on the forest,there was a police raid and they found poor dead sacrificed animals,appar the cult did it to freak out the church goers :closedeyes:

• 2 years later...

I have just found this again and would like to let you know that the above link to my web pages of the Rock Cemetery is no longer valid.

An easy way to find them is to go to:

http://whittakergen.com

and follow the links from 'Nottinghamshire Research' then go to 'Cemeteries and Burial Grounds'

We never did finish the project of preserving the inscriptions in the St. Ann's Valley section, but a lot of what we have done already is on the web pages.

If you are researching your family history in the Nottinghamshire area you may find something interesting on my other pages.

Ann

• 1 month later...

Many years ago I went with a couple of mates over the gate that guarded the cave system in the sunken ‘amphitheatre’ part. It split into two and neither went very far and ended in dead ends. We came across some sort of alter at the end of one tunnel. Table candles the works. Assume that it was or had been used for black magic, and a tramp who was kipping under the alter chased us off. Frightened the life out of us. I was led to believe (but I can’t recall who by) that the flat graves with lots of names on were child plague victims. We also used to walk through the tunnel that went from near Clarendon College at the end of Gregory Boulevard/Mansfield Road to the big hole next to the Victoria Centre now occupied by the car park. In fact we used to do it quite often. Don’t know why as it wasn’t very exciting. Still there I suppose but don’t know what access there is now. When we did it, it was quite open or at least not hard to get to although you could not get out of the big hole at the Vic Centre end and had to walk back.

The flat graves with a huge slab over them contain the remains of about 20 folks in each. Too poor for a proper grave, I know, I have a couple of relatives in there. Just a name and age is all you get, but a year carved at the top above the names .