Does anyone remember when whimpy was more of a resteraunt than it is today? Hope I'M remembering the right place, but every Saturday lunchtime when I was about 5 [1972] on Clumber Street was a whimpy and then I'm sure you were served by a properly uniformed waitress and good quality china. I always had for dessert a chocolate nut sundae..Am I remembering the right place or am I getting mixed up with Swiss Cottage [ please remind me where abouts this place was?}

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cliff Ton # 16 Just like a lot of threads! I'm always being accused of being bleddy pedantic ........

No, no, no. You've all got it wrong. In actual fact they will be dining at the Roebuck (don't tell anyone I told you). They will be eating steak and ale pies with chips and peas, washed down with a pi

Back in the mid 60s there was a Wimpy Bar close to the 43/45 Trolley Bus terminus at Trent Bridge. Contrary to popular opinion you can't make a decent hamburger with a high meat content using rubbis

I remember *Wimpey's when I lived in Birmingham, 1950s.

There was no Mcdonalds then AFAIK?

*Not to be confused with WIMPEYS (We Employ More Paddys Every Year)!

Mick

No longer falling off a Honda Superdream (250)

The achronym WIMPEY was

W e

I mport

M ore

P addys

E very

Y ear

Swiss Cottage was up Chapel Bar opposite the ABC. My first ever funny moment was in there, when my mate Alan announced (in a rather loud stage whisper) "My coffee tastes like mud" I (quick as a flash) said "No wonder , it was only 'ground' this morning " geddit?? well we were rolling on the floor. Alan did go on to marry the girl he was with , mine dumped me the next day..!!!

I don't remember a Wimpey on Clumber Street (It doesn't mean there wasn't one. The only one I remember was in the Broad Marsh Centre ,on the top floor , where you came down from 'The Bench and Bar' ;what was Drury Hill ; and I remember the sausages cut so that as they were cooked they went into a circle shape.

The first Mc Donalds in Nott'm opened on Clumber Street circa 1980

I remember a Wimpey at the junction of St james Street and Mount Street.

And yes you did get proper crockery and sheffield plate knife and folks......

Bip.

I haven't been in it for many years, but when I was over there in March I noticed the Wimpey at The Green in Long Eaton is still in business!

I haven't been in it for many years, but when I was over there in March I noticed the Wimpey at The Green in Long Eaton is still in business!

That's right Eric, I had forgotten there is one on me door step..

Bip.

I remember a Wimpey at the junction of St james Street and Mount Street.

And yes you did get proper crockery and sheffield plate knife and folks......

Bip.

I think you mean St James Street / Maid Marian Way; anyway, I used to go in that one sometimes after work - pretty ordinary fare at a reasonable price if I remember correctly.

I remember a cafe at the junction of Maid Marion Way and Friar Lane, on the roundabout ( thats no longer there) . That could have been a Wimpey.

I remember a cafe at the junction of Maid Marion Way and Friar Lane, on the roundabout ( thats no longer there) . That could have been a Wimpey.

Correct...Friar Lane Island junction with Maid Marian Way.

Paul.

For some reason we said we were going to the Wimpey Bar, not just Wimpey's. Wasn't there one at the bottom of Exchange Walk as it turns onto Wheeler Gate? I think it's now a Macdonalds? First hamburger I ever had was at a Wimpey Bar. Not a thing your mam cooked for your tea in the 50's and 60's.

• Upvote 1
First hamburger I ever had was at a Wimpey Bar. Not a thing your mam cooked for your tea in the 50's and 60's.

The reason being???

They didn't have the machinery that scrapes the crap off of the bones to help mass produce cheap burgers like they do now

• 6 years later...

For some reason we said we were going to the Wimpey Bar, not just Wimpey's. Wasn't there one at the bottom of Exchange Walk as it turns onto Wheeler Gate? I think it's now a Macdonalds? First hamburger I ever had was at a Wimpey Bar. Not a thing your mam cooked for your tea in the 50's and 60's.

yes i remember Wimpey at bottom of exchange walk where mcdonalds is now...worked as a junior at hallam brackett high pavement...got paid every friday..so every friday me and a colleague treated ourselves to a wimpey meal....brings back memories...the food was delicious ...unfortunately it was so popular ...very busy...service took ages...as we only had an hour lunchbreak were often back late !!!

• Upvote 2

The only Wimpey that I know in existence in this area is the one in Broad Marsh. It's been there since the very beginning of the Centre and has survived, despite almost everything else around it closing down.

marsh2-1.jpg

And I've just noticed their spelling - they no longer have an E in the name.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And over a period of years, I worked on just about every floor of that building (Walton House)

Apart from the canteen which was on the top floor, or the "big bosses" sanctuary which was on the sixth floor.

Even opened my first adult bank account at the Nat West next door to the Wimpy (sort code 54-21-49) in 1974.