I used to have a coffee at the Maid Marion café on the corner of Friar Lane and Maid Marion Way on the way home from work sometimes in the 60s. I also used to have a coffee at Caplin's Café on Parliament St. at the top of Hurt's yard around the same time. I only went there because I fancied one of the waitresses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cliff Ton # 16 Just like a lot of threads! I'm always being accused of being bleddy pedantic ........

No, no, no. You've all got it wrong. In actual fact they will be dining at the Roebuck (don't tell anyone I told you). They will be eating steak and ale pies with chips and peas, washed down with a pi

Back in the mid 60s there was a Wimpy Bar close to the 43/45 Trolley Bus terminus at Trent Bridge. Contrary to popular opinion you can't make a decent hamburger with a high meat content using rubbis

• 2 months later...

I used to use the one on the corner of St James St. / Maid Marian Way, back in the early seventies. I remember they had a minimum price you had to pay at lunch times / peak periods. I 'fancied' one of the waitresses named Shirley, but being only 14 / 15 I never had the nerve to ask her out.

Went in the Broad marsh one couple of weeks ago,good food,great service,and i don't care what you say you can't 'Wack a big bender'

• Upvote 1

You can, and I'm sure he'd be pleased. LOL

• Upvote 2

I do recall a Wimpy on Parliament Street not far from the Co Op. My parents liked the place and took me to it when I was very young. I hated it because of cigarettes. A tray full of cigarette ends on the table would put me off food. i just woudn't eat. As a matter of fact It does to this day. I will not sit at any table where there are fag ends still there. Worst of all was the amount of smoke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There also was a Wimpy upstairs in Vic centre. Is my brain mashed? Was there a 'hut' type cafe on maid marion way ( circa 68?)

Yeah you're right there was. It was somewhere around where birds is upstairs. And also the big one that is now Burger King outside VC. Looking back they were everywhere.

The 'Benders' no less !

Who can forget the 'Bender Brunch'.

Wimpy's popularity went into decline with the McDonalds invasion.

You still see them occasionally, but they're no longer on every high street.

I believe they had more than 500 restaurants at one time in the UK.

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Anyway the burger joint in Broadmarsh shuts up shop tomorrow, the word on the street it will be getting a Royal visit. 

No, no, no. You've all got it wrong. In actual fact they will be dining at the Roebuck (don't tell anyone I told you). They will be eating steak and ale pies with chips and peas, washed down with a pint of John Smiths. Apparently they could not make next Wednesday evening.

• Like 3

Like Loppy, our first house was a Wimpey on Churchill Drive in Ruddington, moved in on our wedding day. It was one of their chalet type semis and talk about posh, we had partial central heating installed for an extra £200 making the total price an eye watering £3400, mind you that was in 1968.

We were told that the pair of semis next to us was "the apprentice`s house" and we assumed that this meant built by them to finish their time. Can anyone confirm that this was the procedure?

Went past when in Ruddington in October and still looking OK.

We paid 3100.00 in 1966.  No option for partial central heating though.  I installed night store heaters eventually.  Never heard of the apprentice house though. Maybe ours wasn't posh enough.  ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

There was the one in Broadmarsh, the one upstairs in Vic centre, the one at the top of St James street, there was one on Angel Row that became Burger King and now Nando’s. Was the one on Exchange Walk what is now McDonald’s? Was that in between it being Wigfalls then McDonalds? Does anyone remember there’s being one where the big Burger King outside Vic centre is now? Am I imagining it? 

Any others people can remember?