• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cliff Ton # 16 Just like a lot of threads! I'm always being accused of being bleddy pedantic ........

No, no, no. You've all got it wrong. In actual fact they will be dining at the Roebuck (don't tell anyone I told you). They will be eating steak and ale pies with chips and peas, washed down with a pi

Back in the mid 60s there was a Wimpy Bar close to the 43/45 Trolley Bus terminus at Trent Bridge. Contrary to popular opinion you can't make a decent hamburger with a high meat content using rubbis

2 hours ago, doodle said:

I would have sworn it was opposite Boots the Chemist on Wheeler Gate with Sisson & Parker a bit further down.  I will do some head scratching and try to remember. 

What years are you referring to ?  I walked up that stretch of Wheeler Gate many times over the years (to and from Broad Marsh bus station) and don't remember a Wimpey there. Could it have been another brand of burger ?

Those addresses above:  Granby Street would have been there in 1964.  It became the top end of Maid Marian Way.  Walton House was on the corner with St James's Street.  The Post Office occupied some if not all of Walton House.  Now the site of Park Plaza hotel.

18 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

What years are you referring to ?  I walked up that stretch of Wheeler Gate many times over the years (to and from Broad Marsh bus station) and don't remember a Wimpey there. Could it have been another brand of burger ?

1972/1973 but you could be correct in that it might have been a burger bar but not a Wimpy - I really can't remember.

18 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I can remember Boots when they were on Wheeler Gate. Quite a small shop.  Also Henry's, Richard Shops, etc, but I can't recall an eaterie at street level other than The Pizza Place below Sissons.

I remember Boots cos as daft as it sounds I remember the big brass buttons all over the glass doors!  Whilst I'm at it what was the large store a bit further down from Boots it had household linens etc on the ground floor and downstairs was ladies clothing possibly other things down there.  Don't know if there was a first floor.  It may have been alongside Chelsea Girl?

Are you thinking of Henry's?  It wasn't there for very long. Built more or less on the site of my mum's favourite coffee shop which was a glorious building that should never have been destroyed. THE ORIENTAL.

Henry's later became Smith's, I believe, before they moved further down.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:11 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Are you thinking of Henry's?  It wasn't there for very long. Built more or less on the site of my mum's favourite coffee shop which was a glorious building that should never have been destroyed. THE ORIENTAL.

Henry's later became Smith's, I believe, before they moved further down.

Yes, that's the one - thanks.

I remember Chelsea Girl with great fondness. The clothes weren't top quality but they were ok for work and they did very small sizes. I was a size 6 to 8 in those days and it was very difficult to get skirts or trousers for an 18 inch waist!  Sadly, I don't have that problem any more, nor the 18 inch waist!