Yes Loppy, the major problem was the tv rental cash cow had gone by the '80s. Electricals had stabilised in price and in real terms were dropping, hence profits too. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cliff Ton # 16 Just like a lot of threads! I'm always being accused of being bleddy pedantic ........

No, no, no. You've all got it wrong. In actual fact they will be dining at the Roebuck (don't tell anyone I told you). They will be eating steak and ale pies with chips and peas, washed down with a pi

Back in the mid 60s there was a Wimpy Bar close to the 43/45 Trolley Bus terminus at Trent Bridge. Contrary to popular opinion you can't make a decent hamburger with a high meat content using rubbis

Being big and one of the first will have been their problem.

They will have got too complacent over the competition and ignored them.

Then as above probably misssed the obvious that the rental market was disappearing.

Did Wigfalls rent out other domestic appliances?

I rented my first T.V (black and white) in 1972 from Southwell T.V rentals, a young upstart in the T.V business.

Only 1 shop / depot I believe, but covered the whole of Notts.

Upgraded to a colour after a couple of years, kept that a couple of years then bought a colour T.V.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:13 AM, Cliff Ton said:

hideous, dull, sickly dark green. I'd like to meet the person who thought it was a good idea.

For a moment there a thought you were talking about the Lettuce!

Is that shade of paint known as gherkin?

There was a burger joint roughly next to what became M'donalds, Wheeler Gate side.

It was called Mavericks, pool table upstairs, this was about '83.

Pretty sure Mc predated Burger K in Nott's, which was the first one? I was thinking Clumber St?

I was a Maverick Wimpy Golden egg as a child/teen..

I do recall being disappointed when MC seemed to be everywhere, can't recall visting one before "85....& only about 6 times since....the fillet of fish was OK..

6 hours ago, TBI said:

Yes Loppy, the major problem was the tv rental cash cow had gone by the '80s. Electricals had stabilised in price and in real terms were dropping, hence profits too. 

There was a place that survived, roughly facing the St Peters church, next door but one to Either Weathermans or Flittermans, very small in comparison, could have  been possibly Radio rentals or fusion, picked up a recon' video recorder there for £35 with a 3 month guarantee about '97, clapped out after about 5 months, but served its purpose.

In the mid Sixties couldn't afford clubs and pubs so used to have a weekly coffee in the Wimpy at the bottom of Huntingdon Street, just down from the Central Tavern.

Seems as though Ian has been deplatformed, the way of the World it would seem nowadays.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:11 PM, Boris The Bear said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/GpYyF7MjyHUNsMd38

You can can see Wignalls on exchange walk that is now McD’s at the edge

does anyone remember when the big Burger King outside Vic centre used to be a Wimpy? Don’t think it was for very long...

Wignall's ?

Methinks you're a Forest or Stags fan Boris. Frank Wignall was an old fashioned centre forward much loved in Nottingham in the 60s. Even I, a staunch Notts County fan couldn't help but admire him.

25 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Frank Wignall used to have a petrol filling station on the Nottingham side of Burton Joyce. Footballers had to find a proper job after retirement back in those days!

I remember Ian Storey- Moore’s Bookies shop in Bingham. Now he was a winger.

5 hours ago, Mess said:

I remember Ian Storey- Moore’s Bookies shop in Bingham. Now he was a winger.

We went to last year’s Cheltenham Festival Ladies Day special held in the Burton Albion Conference Centre.  Everyone dressed up for the event, lovely meal and wine, all the day’s races on a big screen and a bookie in attendance.  We were on the same table and sat next to Ian Storey-Moore and his wife and although I knew Ian from around town (mostly the 99 Club) many many years ago my husband didn’t realise it was him, (he’s a southerner)  and didn’t know he’d had a bookmakers shop.  While we were studying the race cards Ian was discussing with us the form of various horses.  My husband said to him that he seemed to know a lot about horse racing!   We didn’t come out on top that day but it was good fun.   

On 6/20/2020 at 10:50 AM, Commo said:

In the mid Sixties couldn't afford clubs and pubs so used to have a weekly coffee in the Wimpy at the bottom of Huntingdon Street, just down from the Central Tavern.

That's interesting, I never knew there was a Wimpy down there. We used to go in Capoccis on Huntingdon St, near Central Market opposite the bus station.

• 1 month later...

To answer the question of how many and where were they........I had a look at the old telephone directories online and looked for Wimpy in Nottingham.  Here's a few extracts.

In 1964 there were only 2 (the top block);  in 1968 there were a few more (directories included Derbyshire); and by 1976 there were quite a lot.

sJOCtS8.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

1971 or 72 can't remember which year I started work at Miss Selfridge that was due to open in the Victoria Centre.  Unfortunately Taylor Woodrow went on strike and so the first couple of weeks we spent at the Portland Hotel near to the Midland Station being trained!  We were taken for a Wimpy which scared the life out of me as I'd never been in a burger bar or knew what a burger was!  I'm sure the Wimpy was opposite Boots the Chemist just around the corner from Friar Lane? where I used to get my bus ie the 4 or 4a to Beeston there was a shop called D&P Outfitters where my school uniform came from and I remember my mum loving Tobys opposite - she bought tons of glassware and glass ornaments!

I think Vic Centre opened around June 72.

I remember only once going in a Wimpy as a teen, somewhere near Broad Marsh? First burger ever.

3 hours ago, doodle said:

I'm sure the Wimpy was opposite Boots the Chemist just around the corner from Friar Lane? where I used to get my bus ie the 4 or 4a to Beeston there was a shop called D&P Outfitters where my school uniform came from 

The Wimpey near there was half way up St James Street, on the corner with Maid Marian Way. If you scroll back in this thread there are several photos of it.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2021 at 8:14 PM, Cliff Ton said:

The Wimpey near there was half way up St James Street, on the corner with Maid Marian Way. If you scroll back in this thread there are several photos of it.

I've looked at the photos and have obviously got my bearings wrong as that's not the one.  I would have sworn it was opposite Boots the Chemist on Wheeler Gate with Sisson & Parker a bit further down.  I will do some head scratching and try to remember.