Nottingham - The "Murder Capital"

Newbie on here trundling through older threads....

The last film I saw at the Roxy Ribblesdale Rd. was the original 'The Fly' shortly before it closed.

I remember reading some years ago of a guy that chatted up a girl in there and took her afterwards to Woodthorpe Park where he killed her.Over the next few days he continually phoned the police asking if he could help??? Surprise surprise, they picked him up and he eventually admitted the murder.Can't remember what year I'll have to run a few checks out of curiosity.

Paul.

Just out of interest, what kind of time period was that paul?

80's 90's?

Thought I might make this into a thread?

Theres bin a few murders in Notts over the years, can you remember any?

Just out of interest, what kind of time period was that paul?

80's 90's?

Thought I might make this into a thread?

Theres bin a few murders in Notts over the years, can you remember any?

That murder from the Roxy was in the fifties.

I guess one of the most famous murders was the landlord of the 'Pretty Windows' pub Sneinton market.He was taking his poodle for a walk in the sixties...still unsolved although some cops say they knew who did it but no proof.They reckon the knife used was found by accident alongside the Radcliffe on Trent By-pass...Shortly afterwards another murder at a caravan site in Radcliffe?????????

Paul.

I remember the Fox & Grapes murder - actually, what I really remember is all the news there was about it at the time. You can read a bit more about it HERE.

There was a girl murdered off Mansfield road , Harlow wood......many years ago though

There was a girl murdered off Mansfield road , Harlow wood......many years ago though

Dunno if this is the one you mean.....In 1817 Elizabeth Sheppard 17 walked from Papplewick to Mansfield looking for work.Her mother went to meet her on her way back and saw her in the distance.The mother turned and walked home expecting her to be behind her but the girl never arrived.Her body was found at the bottom of Harlow Wood hill.

An itinerant Charles Rotherham was spotted shortly afterwards in an Arnold pub trying to sell her umbrella and shoes.He was arrested,tried, and executed.

A memorial stone is still at the murder spot and can be seen at the bottom of the hill on the right hand side going towards Mansfield.

murderstone.jpg

Paul.

Walked past there on many occasion as a kid when we used to go for walks in the woods round there

The reason it is memorable to me is that she has the same unusual spelling of her surname as me

Dunno if this is the one you mean.....In 1817 Elizabeth Sheppard 17 walked from Papplewick to Mansfield looking for work.Her mother went to meet her on her way back and saw her in the distance.The mother turned and walked home expecting her to be behind her but the girl never arrived.Her body was found at the bottom of Harlow Wood hill.

An itinerant Charles Rotherham was spotted shortly afterwards in an Arnold pub trying to sell her umbrella and shoes.He was arrested,tried, and executed.

A memorial stone is still at the murder spot and can be seen at the bottom of the hill on the right hand side going towards Mansfield.

murderstone.jpg

Paul.

Bessie Sheppard's stone is situated just before the woodland begins where Portland College is. It's partly covered in the undergrowth these days and not easy to spot from the road. The pub that Rotherham her murderer was arrested in was called The Three Crowns and actually at Redhill on Mansfield Road. It sat more or less opposite where the Ram Inn is and became a private home before being demolished.

I only found out the other day that the turnpike road from Bestwood to Mansfield ran through Papplewick and Newstead Abbey joining the modern road at the Hutt.The main road back to Nottingham, as it is today, from there was just a track.

Paul.

Another murder with a pub connection

A lad (Colin Somebody) slashed another lads throat ( Simon somebody) in the toilet of the Elwes Arms in Carlton/Bakersfield in the early 90's in an argument over a packet of crisps

I do know their names as I knew them both!!! Colin calmly walked down to Carlton police station and gave himself up (Alledgedly even before the police new a crime had been commited, and they didn't believe him!!!!)

I only found out the other day that the turnpike road from Bestwood to Mansfield ran through Papplewick and Newstead Abbey joining the modern road at the Hutt.The main road back to Nottingham, as it is today, from there was just a track.

Paul.

Think that may have been partly due to the fact that main routes such as the Mansfield Road were seen as quite dangerous with robbers and suchlike and people would find alternative ways from point to point.

The route you talk about is still walkable. Passing straight on at the Papplewick crossroads from Bestwood, travel up Blidworth Waye and at the second right-hand turn in the road take the unmade road to the left at Papplewick Hall. About a hundred yards on the right is a bridleway which leads straight to the bottom of the main drive into Newstead Abbey. Right turn leads to The Hutt. (Being refurbed right now incidentally.)

• 1 month later...

Though not exactly a 'regular', one of the last pubs I used to frequent before moving from Nottingham, was the Smiths Arms {I gather its nickname was The Red Light House - tho' being newly married, I don't know to what that reffered} It seemed strange but nearly always when we went in there, someone would be recalling some murder or other, and i'm sure there were about 10 landlord murders in the first 3/4 of the 20th century - & a few of them unsolved.

• 3 years later...

remember the one on mansfield rd daybrook young girl found in a garden killed by her boyfriend, he was the son of an old friend of ours her only child he must have served his time by now dont know as i have not seen his mum for about 5 years now but she was absolutely devistated not just for her son but for the girl hand her family too think they came from the gedling area.

the other murder i remember well was the murder of lyne goldingay by radio trent dj knew both er brothers and used to take lyne iceskating when she was small with her brother steve ,devistated the whole family her father died shortly after lyne never recovered from it steve who i still see sometimes always says he died of a broken heart, lyne was his little girl being quite a few years younger than her brothers and the only girl in the family, her mum died about 2 years ago but steve used to say she was never the same person after lyne died.

think late 80s early ninties sue his mum almost had a breakdown over it but i know she still continued to visit her son i know that many people thought was wrong but she always said he is still my son whatever he had done , being her only child it must have been realy hard for her . they lived in arnold stu and were on there way to her house after a night outand had some kind of an argument they were both only in her teens.

Thanks for the reply Babs. I'm a bit surprised I have no memory of this as it's not far from where I live. I agree with you about the mother by the way. It's a dilemma that the father of the young boy in Redhill who has just been sentenced for the murder of his mother will now have to face.

My mate Peer Occleshaw from Redhill met a grisly end - drowned at Skeggy at age ten.

Names ending in ...shaw are usually Yorkshire origin. It was a long time ago but I seem to remember that he was not the only child, so could well be related. I can't remember the name of the road on which he lived but it was a road on the left as you go from the White Hart up towards Arch Bridge. After the crescent but before Redhill Road. I shall have to look it up.

Just looked and I think it must have been Thornton Avenue. You could walk up the road and onto a footpath that led to the woods around Bestwood Lodge and Bestwood village.

Thornton Ave is the one that leads through to Colliers Pad to Bestwood Village, yes. About two mins from my home. The Occleshaw I went to school with was from Arnold though, either Coppice Road or Killisick, so maybe not the same people.