Reading early posts on the 'Pub Closing Down' thread there were one or two posts on the Cinderhill area including Llanberis Grove off Nuthall Rd.

I was amused that some folks living locally looked on LLanberis Grove as a posh secretive area...Not really I was born there. It consisted of 28- 3 bedroom semi's built in the thirties,and bought for £350.

This is the rear of my home about a year after it was built,not posh by any means.Many houses built on Aspley and Broxtowe estates had much bigger gardens.

img055.jpg

The land however was originally the gardens of a large manor house which was owned in the fifties by Stansby's the chemist on Nuthall Rd.The old gatehouse bungalow on the corner of Nuthall Rd.was owned by Halfpenny the decorator who's son ran the Paul Haywood Autos in later years.On the opposite side No.1 which is now a dentist was owned by Bamford the funeral director.This was bigger than all the other houses.The manor house is long gone now and a private housing estate is built on it's gardens.

This map from 1924 (bit fuzzy,sorry) Shows Stansby's manor house in it's land (X) later to become Llanberis Grove....Stockhill Circus was built with some housing (Z) Cinderhill Park (Y) was yet to be built,but the Red Lion can be seen.(Just)

(W) marks more or less where the Ellis school was built in later years on the smallholdings and allotments.The plantations on the left of Nuthall Rd.were still to be turned into Broxtowe and Aspley.

Paul

OOIUY.jpg

Interesting to see that old map.

We bought a house on the Wimpey estate off Stockhill lane in 1966. Price then was 3,100 pounds. Wonder what it is today.

Wonder how that estate is doing in these days. It was very pleasant when we lived there. We sold it when we emigrated in 1970.

Never realized we were living in the grounds of Basford Hall.

Thanks for an interesting post

Dave

Used to play on there as a kid...fields with cows then and a pond in the middle. The whole Wimpey site was sold including the site for the fire station for £120,000...rich farmer in those days.It belonged to a farm on Bagall Lane over the back.

Another memory...25 yards up from the Barleycorn on Nuthall Rd going towards the city.There was a little sweet shop...I always remember the name F.Inger. :biggrin:

Paul.

• Like 1
A friend of mine still lives on Llanberis Grove.

Small world eh?

Very...

I'm blessed with a very good memory and can still remember every detail of the road and the people that lived on it.I had a very carefree childhood up there with a few of the neighbours kids.

In the 80s I happened to be nearby and parked up to have a walk and see how the old place looked.In my day everybody knew everybody else and passed the time of day.

A guy pulled into my old house driveway and as I passed I said "Evening,I was born in this house in the forties...have you lived here long?" His answer..."What the f**** it got to do with you..just F*** off."....Nice bloke...made my day.

Paul.

I loved your post poohbear, you lived in my old stomping grounds. You jogged my memory regarding F Inger's sweet shop, {I think her name was Florrie Inger] I'd completely forgotten about that. Wasn't it in a little strip of low cottages? I think they may have been pit houses many moons ago. A girl I went to school with lived in one of them, Carol Hassell. I think we all thought Llanberis Grove as posh, because non of us knew anyone who lived in a private house, only council houses. Plus they were the first private houses we passed coming from our bus terminus {#22}going towards town.

I see your map is old enough that Bar Lane wasn't even there yet. My grandad worked on building Saxby's factory on there. I remember Stansby's chemist nr the Co-op.

Kath

Me and my mate aged about ten found a black kitten and took it into Ingers shop because we had heard she had lost one...She wasn't sure it was hers even though me and my mate tried to convince her it was...smelling a possible reward or some free sweets...She said "I'll fetch my dog he will know ,they play together." She brought the dog in...and the cat immediately did a circuit of the room without touching the floor once....that was that...no reward.....Oh well. :rolleyes:

I couldn't get the map clearer unfortunately...Bar Lane is there but indistinct.If you look closely you will see 'bleach works' just below the red W ...That's Saxbys.Those two big chimneys could be seen for miles.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...
I loved your post poohbear, you lived in my old stomping grounds. You jogged my memory regarding F Inger's sweet shop, {I think her name was Florrie Inger] I'd completely forgotten about that. Wasn't it in a little strip of low cottages? I think they may have been pit houses many moons ago. A girl I went to school with lived in one of them, Carol Hassell. I think we all thought Llanberis Grove as posh, because non of us knew anyone who lived in a private house, only council houses. Plus they were the first private houses we passed coming from our bus terminus {#22}going towards town.

I see your map is old enough that Bar Lane wasn't even there yet. My grandad worked on building Saxby's factory on there. I remember Stansby's chemist nr the Co-op.

Kath

Along fron Stansbys there was an electrical shop called 'Lee and Goodjohns' They sold Dinky toys and always had a big display in the window which each toy sitting on top of its yellow box. My dad used to go there to get replacement valves for the old bush tv. Further still there was a garage which was , I think, Breffitts. Then there was the coal loading hoppers where the line which crossed melbourne road terminated.

Cheers, Johnl.

I used to get Meccano bits from Lee & Goodjohns trying to build up to the next set bit by bit.And just before that the bike shop where I got my first Carlton bike £21...my pride and joy.Then the Post Office...Cookes sweet shop...Watkins the grocer..A motor repair shop..Jack Norris the butcher...and of course Stansby's.Probably one or two shops in between that I forget.

My brother got his first Lambretta from Breffits...practised on the waste land at the back...drove it home and promptly rammed the concrete gate post.He was nearly in tears...saved ages for that scooter.

Opposite Stansby's was Pinketts Newsagents...A dry cleaners (I think) then an off licence...And in the corner George (Jones?) the barber and his missus with the ladies hairdresser side.George moved shops from the block in front of the Aspley cinema (Later Commodore)...on this row in the early fifties was also Emmings the greengrocer McCarthy's sweet shop and Barclays bank.Georges old shop was on the corner of the slip road that went up the side of the cinema, to Doctor Ryans Surgery, and was a cafe for a few years.

Those Dinky toy cars and lorries in their boxes...Ahhhhh! Wish I had a load now they'd be worth a bomb.

Paul.

• 8 years later...

Decades ago I got some Xerox images of old Cinder Hill from the Local Studies Library when it was in the Shakespeare Street college building. Before they fade away completely I am putting them on this thread.

The first two were taken after the Nuthall Road/Cinder Hill Road junction was widened. The top picture shows the pit houses, Holden Square. On the opposite side of the road is the wall behind which was Fowlers pond - how many times have I clambered up that wall! Behind those trees now is a large hotel.The photo is dated 15 May 1925.

Cinder%20Hill%201_zpsgtgwizvw.jpg

A little further down the road, date unknown, shows how narrow the road was as it headed towards Broxtowe Lane. 

Cinder%20Hill%202_zps3fzqhxrx.jpg

Cinder%20Hill%203_zpslzdffbb9.jpg

• Upvote 4

CP. All four pictures show the Ripley 'Rattlers' tram lines. The lower picture shows the passing loop.The line went down Dark Lane, shown in the above map. The original prints will be in the Local Studies Library on Angel Row, if anyone is interested in seeing them. The road off to the left on the lower picture is the road up to Basford Hall, 'Creepers' as it became known.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

the farmer was old man Hackett. I used to play on the farm with his grandson John. We lived opposite the farmhouse (old white cottage. long gone)

While I'm at it. anyone remember Christ Church Youth club in the mid to late 60s? Remember a camping trip to Charmouth that they organised.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/07/2008 at 6:44 PM, poohbear said:

I was amused that some folks living locally looked on LLanberis Grove as a posh secretive area...Not really I was born there. It consisted of 28- 3 bedroom semi's built in the thirties,and bought for £350.

Do you remember the Day family who lived there? I went to school with Carol Day.

• 1 year later...