I think that in the 70s there were some little 'hippy' shops here - I remember that one was called paraphernalia. On the other hand, my memory is so faulty that this could just be my imagination at work. Does anyone else remember anything?

greyhound street had keith halls (hairdressers) at the top, and a couple of little shops...think it also had some disgusting public loos...its a street i never go down now...in fact charlie bridlesmith gate ( where the hippo was ) is one of the nicest streets in town....

yes you got the right street......so much of town has changed, some for the better but some for the worse....i love hockley for its quirky shops and great bars, but bridlesmith gate will always have a special nostalgic feel to it.........anyone got old photos of the area?

I seem to recall a shop called Jeanette's on the top corner of Greyhound St. She sold lingerie. This would be in the 60's.

Kath

• Upvote 1

This place sold stuff - I remember they had patchouli oil, incense, Giant cigarette rollers, Cigarette papers like $1,000 bills, candles - Paraphernalia for a certain hobby that was very popular back then.

The shop [Jeanette's] of my memory was strickly bras and panties and girdles etc. Pretty stuff, not just the plain undies of M&S.

IMMSC it had a yellow cellophane ( internal) blind .Not that I ever looked at such things (Ladies underware I mean)

• Upvote 1
  • 7 years later...

Greyhound Street taken from the steps of the loo last year. The opposite way round to the previous picture. I took this while photographing all that remains of the little alleys running up from Long Row to Parliament Street.

2qjabyh.jpg

• Upvote 3

When one looks at how Greyhound Street has 'developed' since CT's Drury Hill-esque shot in post number 16 it draws the question, would the original Drury Hill, if it still existed, be 'Nottingham's Shambles' as we fondly like to think.

• Upvote 1

When one looks at how Greyhound Street has 'developed' since CT's Drury Hill-esque shot in post number 16 it draws the question, would the original Drury Hill, if it still existed, be 'Nottingham's Shambles' as we fondly like to think.

I've wondered that a few times. It might be sacrilege, but it might be true.

And back on the subject of alleys, I'd forgotten about this thread from last year. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12763

• Upvote 1