• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi! Jackson, I thought I would like to reply with my similar fine memories of Aspley Library. With its green rubberised flooring and immaculate shelves of books to get lost in. I started in the j

FLY2, I remember cobbled Lincoln Street, (Basford Town) as it was often referred to, as a very vibrant community with numerous shops and 'characters'. The Old English Gentleman on the origin

I was there at Ellis Guildford from 1971-73, I remember a lot of the teachers they were all a bit eccentric, Mr Barks was the Maths teacher he was a bit Of a " Paper Tiger" my dad knew him and we wen

Posted Images

Listen 'ere yuff. I was a Chard Street Kerbstone Bumper and I knows a lot abart inflation. Blowin fings up wiv loads of puffs aint the only sort of inflation. Oh and by the way; why aint them funny dolls got no teeff in um? Too much chewing gums my mate says. Still, when I've got mine in passinger seat people finks I got me a very surprised girlfriend.

• 4 months later...

I went to Ellis from 1952 to 1956 I to remember the teachers in fact old Bowler once propositioned me dirty bastard!!!! .I also remember some of my classmates in particular Dave Ackroyd where is he now anyone know also Neil Telling Mick Barnett Aubry Bryan.Iwas known as Brearsy anyone remember?

Yes I did go to Whitemoor and sorry don't recognise any of the boys it is 65 years ago!!!!!.I do remember Mick Barnett at the Ellis though he was very good at woodwork I was hopeless, still am he used to bring sweets to school from his dads factory.

Yes I did go to Whitemoor and sorry don't recognise any of the boys it is 65 years ago!!!!!.I do remember Mick Barnett at the Ellis though he was very good at woodwork I was hopeless, still am he used to bring sweets to school from his dads factory.

Do you remember Tony Pigeon,Arthur Lomas from Ellis?...two of his mates.

Bit battered,but this is Arthur and Mick as you'd remember them...or not. :biggrin:

He's still making sweets...every day, (PS...I'm a relative)

fu2j43.jpg

Yes thanks Mick is more recognisable my memory may need to kick in to remember Arthur.I lived in Newlyn Drive just off Western Boulevard and my parents then built a house at Wollaton (snobby bastard)but still cycled to the Ellis every day calling in to Trentham Drive near Aspley Lane to collect Dave Ackroyd and we'd both cycle on to school.Before and After school I did a paper round which kept me in Park Drive smokes (wished I'd never started as I now have emphysema.Billy Bacons was always a must at lunch time a chance for a smoke and a perv on the Guildford girls.Dave and I invited 2 of these girls to my house one saturday and just as things were warming up my parents drove in to the driveway so it was a quick exit for the girls thanks to Dave.Ah memories as I sit here in my very small retirement unit in St Helens Tasmania Australia memories of good times and bad nothing will ever replace those days,now I'm getting depressed!!!!.Nottingham and its people will always be in my heart,my extended family (of Pendred Hairdressing fame) still live in and around Nottingham I was last there in 2008 to attend my brothers funeral (Bryan Brears) Talk soon Barry

If you lived on Newlyn Bazza, I'd be surprised if you didn't know Tony Pigeon..he was in a council house just at the start of Wilkinson Street a few hundred yards from you and must have been in your class.

Just seen Mick and gave him a printout of your post...he remembers you and your mates and says hi...As he put it "I wonder how many of them at our age are working on a Saturday morning?"....he always was a workaholic.

I say printout because he's never had a computer...or mobile phone...still got the same haircut too... :biggrin:

1okm4l.jpg

The name Tony Pigeon might mean something to me. My uncle was Derek Pidgeon - (mothers sisters husband). Pidgeon is spelled with a P not as in bird. He must have gone to Ellis school as they would have lived on Brown's Croft in his schooldays. Brown's Croft was off Percy Street going down to Lincoln Street. I don't know whether or not Tony would have been related to him or not. Can't have been that many Pidgeons (Pigeons) around? (Except on Slab Square) Guess he would be 86ish by now?

Hello Melissa sorry I don't believe I read your profile sounds like you're a good christian girl.Whats your'e affiliation with Ellis school?. I lost faith in god when my marriage broke up we just grew apart because my health issues so what happened to marriage vows such as in sickness and in health if you don't abide by them then don't swear by them before God.

• Upvote 2

Poohbear,Thanks for passing my post on,I actually sent an email to Barnetts sweets saying hi to Michael.For gods sake tell him to retire and join a mens shed and produce some nice woodwork. Barry

Email wouldn't reach him Bazza...he's had his own outfit for 25 years now...hence grafting all hours...he won't ever retire,they'll find him pegged out over the bullseyes... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I was at Ellis Guilford Bilateral School from 1969 to 1974. Mr Green was the headmaster, nicknamed Nobby or Denbo Green. Mr Stewart was English Teacher, Johnny 'one eye' Hall taught Art and called out to misbehaving boys using the term 'Laddie'. Mr Kendal was the Physics teacher who sadly died of a heart attack whilst we were there, his son was in our year. Mr R M Clarke was our Chemistry teacher whils Mr Humpherson taught music. Fred Rex Barks taught Maths, Geography and when deputising for other teachers read the facts of life lol. I remember that FredRex Barks lived on Bar Lane and sold conference pears from his back garden at lunch times. The attached picture is of the 'New Block' taken from Bar Lane Entrance in 1973

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Ellis School, Bar Lane