• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi! Jackson, I thought I would like to reply with my similar fine memories of Aspley Library. With its green rubberised flooring and immaculate shelves of books to get lost in. I started in the j

FLY2, I remember cobbled Lincoln Street, (Basford Town) as it was often referred to, as a very vibrant community with numerous shops and 'characters'. The Old English Gentleman on the origin

I was there at Ellis Guildford from 1971-73, I remember a lot of the teachers they were all a bit eccentric, Mr Barks was the Maths teacher he was a bit Of a " Paper Tiger" my dad knew him and we wen

Posted Images

Hi Jackson,

Good of you to make such nice comments and thankyou for your welcome. The little guy smack in the middle of the cricket photo is yours truly. Please remember all of these pictures are from approx. 58 years ago but in my mind they as clear as if they were taken only yesterday (so to speak). My two older brothers attended Ellis before me and my sister was at Guildford after me. May 1956 saw parents and us two young ones leave Basford for a new life in Coventry; at that age and at that time it was a million miles away and 2 more years at school to go. Yes, it was inevitably a sharp cut off and that's why my memory of that time in my life is so clear. I go down the streets on Google and so much has changed but I know just about every doorstep and kerbstone.

I haven't been in contact with any of these old friends over the years but no shame in that, I just hope one or two will see the postings. Michael with the dog won't have any recollection of me, never mind the dog. What a nice guy; same guy pulling faces at me in the dunes. Ha ha.

There's a couple more photo's in a fishing forum as well.

Regards,

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Hi Beduth, good of you to write back.

I recall well the Ellis and Guildford schools on Bar Lane - highly respected schools both.

I was an Infant / Junior pupil at the William Crane School, Aspley; some of my friends moved up to Guildford.

I do believe both Ellis and Guildford incorporated the colour green into their uniforms: green berets / caps, blazers, ties, overcoats............ very smart; almost like brother/ sister schools.

I've taken a look at you in the cricket photo: 'tiny but Mighty', is that you?

I may make a drawing of Michael with the dog - such a happy, photo; I can already envision a watercolour of sepia tones - in keeping with nostalgic times.

Hope you keep posting; lovely photos and interesting writing................... :biggrin:

The two schools were both good respectable schools back in the day. As was the early days of Ellis Guildford.

However. My eldest grand daughter went there and it was the unhappiest days of her life. None of her property was safe and bullying was rife. Nothing ever done about it.

Now her sister and brother are there. Caprice says disruption of classes is the norm. She is determined to do well but she says it is an up hill battle. Dylan had his hair set on fire and the head teacher did not give a s--t.

Hi Beduth, Thanks for the photo,s I can only recognise sports master Oglesby and Woodward. My name is Keith Jessiman, I left Ellis !956 when my family emigrated to Australia. I was either in class 2 or 3 A when aged 13. Played for the cricket and football teams representing Ellis. I can recall classmates "Tilley", Ted Breffitt who,s family owned Breffitts Garage on Nuthall Rd ,Bingley, Tomlinson, Briggs, memory fades. I lived at 523 Nuthall Rd Cinderhill, used to walk home at times with geography teacher Bank,s I think his name was?. The education I gained at Ellis from the technical aspect was a great help to me when doing my engineering trade here in OZ, the stuff Woodward instilled in me was invaluable, they took no nonsense in those day,s if you played up you copped it. If anyone recognise any of the above I would appreciate communication. Regards Keith

Can't remember those houses being built KJ...dunno why,I lived just up the road and didn't miss a lot. I moved in '59.

This is a shot from the late 20s before LLanberis Grove was built...in those days it was just a meadow with a mansion house at the top.

All I can remember of your place was allotments...and that was 20 odd years after this picture.The council houses the other side of Nuthall Road from you were built in an old sand quarry dug out of the hill,which is why they were at a much lower level than Llanberis and Stockhill.

yi8l.jpg

:biggrin: Hi Pooh Bear, studying your photograph @ #60; I'm assuming a prospective 'LLanberis Grove' is the road running down at the back of the huge house in the foreground.

Is it possible that the buildings at the top right hand corner are Thomas North's cottages: 'Napoleon Square'?

PS: I recall a set of cottages further on from this photograph - at right - before 'The John Barleycorn', remember?

PPS: Where the arrow is, must have been Mr Claxton's land.

PPPS: Your family must have been quite well-to-do to have lived on LLanberis Grove - lovely place to live, just up the road from Aspley Library! :biggrin:

Llanberis Grove was built on the meadow alongside the manor Jackson...and yes that's Napoleon Square in the background.As for Llanberis...they were all of £650 when new in '35/'36 The gatehouse still stands at the bottom but the manor is long gone.

Hi Poohbear, Remarkable photo, can,t say I can figure the exact location, whats the building bottom right John Barleycorn? 523 Nuthall Rd was in a culd e sac, probably built 1954/5 the road in was about as I recall about 300 metres up from the Barleycorn,on the same side, in all about 8 houses, 4 on Nuthall Rd and 4 set back. I used to deliver papers from the old shed newsagents next to the park in Stockhill RD. Regards KJ792

:biggrin: Hi KJ and welcome to 'Nottstalgia'.

The big house that you mention is the Manor House and was demolished to make way for Llanberis Grove.

Llanberis Grove was across the way and a little further up from the cul de sac where you lived. Of course the cul de sac is still there but long gone are Mr Claxton's Nurseries - fruit orchards; can you remember? Mr Claxton sold fruit and many times he would place signs on Nuthall Road of the produce he had for sale. :biggrin:

PS: Where the arrow is on Pooh Bear's photograph would be Mr Claxton's land.

A higher shot for you here KJ..from the 1920s (Courtesy of Britain from Above.)

0ata.jpg

A.. is roughly where your house is/was

B The John Barleycorn

C..Broxtowe Lane

D..Llanberis

This shot shows Llanberis Grove after '35 when the houses were built...Including the one where I was born.The manor remained for many years,and was I believe demolished for further housing in the 70s

Your place was built on those allotments top left KJ.

csr3.jpg

I've just discovered that the site of the Aspley Cinema/Commodore was the house of Benjamin Hall called Hollyholm...Mr Hall was MD of the Halls Glue and Boneworks Co. On the Trentside....He certainly picked a spot away from the stench of his business. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Fascinating photos Pooh Bear; what is most fascinating: Thomas North's 'Napoleon Square' at the top / centre of first photograph with the freight train from Babbington Colliery running through up to the Duke of Newcastle's land. As a child I'd stand at the entrance to 'Napoleon Square' completely in awe of the Victorian structure.

PS: Fascinating to view 'Broxtowe Lane' land pre Council House blemish; I don't mean this, I grew up around here and it was a beautiful place.......... :biggrin:

Duke of Newcastles land!...That lot,the Portlands and one or two others owned half the flippin' county.

The only time I saw a train on that line was one day when I saw one crossing Melbourne Road.

My dad used to take me on his 'croggy' when he cycled into Bulwell to his mates or shopping which was regular. We always seemed to get stopped by a train going across Bells Lane at 0.1 miles per hour. Later, as a teenager, me and my mates used to walk from Strelley tip where the old Broxtowe pit was all the way along that railway to where the new(ish) houses are on the corner of Western Boulevard and Nuthall Road. It was a land sale wharf then. I have done a lot of research into that railway and it is still on going. Very interesting railway.

Poohbear,Jeezs mate you are unbelievable!!! You hit the nail on the head, yes that is exactly where I lived, in fact the train line was almost in our backyard,the drivers would wave as they passed, as I recall they were very small Loco,s and travelled at a snails pace,on the other side of the rail line were market gardens.Giga I remember Broxtowe Lane very well, before school I would take my 3 year old brother up the hill and catch the bus to Wollaton and deliver him to my Aunt to look after him whilst my mother worked. The lady conductress, if we were late would wait until we arrived. can you see that happening today?.Tough days then , no money,that,s why we emigrated to OZ I think.I knew every inch of Melbourne Park, spent hours there playing football and cricket. Saturdays would be full on with all the local teams playing there.Moving back towards Bobbers Mill my mother had a hairdressers shop on the corner of Nuthall Rd and I think Cyril Ave,I think it was No 10, just across from the truckie café, Dad had a fish and Chip shop at No 30 Nuthall Rde next to the Post Office.I recall the "Nags Head" pub, where my parents would go for a drink.It,s great to reminiss of so long ago, I often wonder where I would be if we had not emigrated. No regrets though,we have a great lifestyle here, as I am sure the same would be in Notts. Regards Kj792

PS: Fascinating to view 'Broxtowe Lane' land pre Council House blemish; I don't mean this, I grew up around here and it was a beautiful place.......... :biggrin:

That's got to be the first time Broxtowe Estate has been referred to as a 'beautiful place' :biggrin:

Bilbraborn...re the railway,one thing I'd love to know. To the rear of a sweet shop on Nuthall Road where a mate lived.There was a goods wagon at the top of the garden used for storage....how the heck did they get it off the rails? ;)

KJ....I too spent a lot of time on Melbourne Park...but while you were busy chasing balls about,I seemed to spend half my time round the back of the pavilion with some local crumpet trying to work out how a bra 'works'

And Jackson!...this name of yours we've just discovered...does it go back to the days of your exotic dancing? :rolleyes:

:angry2: Excuse me Fellas (fell hers): KJ792 and Pooh Bear, could we please have less sexism on this thread?

KJ92: in the future, if you expect any literary conversation with me could you please refer to me as Jackson (my maiden name, of which I am proud); I haven't an earthly as to why you should be calling me Your Name. Respect at all times for fellow contributors on 'Nottstalgia', be they male or female.

Pooh Bear: I was raised on the Bell's Lane Estate, Cinderhill and attended William Crane School; I look back on the area only with affection. Also, what is this 'exotic dancing' that you mention? I certainly have never participated in such. I'm not a bore, I love to laugh but I will not be the subject of ridicule on the Internet, merely because I am a Woman. :mellow:

• Upvote 1

:biggrin:Pooh Bear, I consider that I am Blessed with a Wonderful Sense of Humour; it was just that in this case I needed to stand up for myself.

I always respect the Vital info. maps, humorous images that you contribute to 'Nottstalgia'.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Ellis School, Bar Lane