I remember the row of cottages along from the Barleycorn, tiny things they were. I do believe there was a shop included in them, run by a Florrie Ingals, or some such name? Christine, you may remember a girl in our class in the juniors by the name of Carol Hassell, she lived in those cottages.

kj792, you must have lived near our doctor on Nuthall Rd. First it was Dr Rutherford, then Hargreaves took over the practice on Lime Tree Ave. Seems like whoever was in charge of the practice, lived in the big house set back from the road, behind a high wall, on Nuthall Rd. The only time I could see this house was from the top deck of the number 22 bus!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi! Jackson, I thought I would like to reply with my similar fine memories of Aspley Library. With its green rubberised flooring and immaculate shelves of books to get lost in. I started in the j

FLY2, I remember cobbled Lincoln Street, (Basford Town) as it was often referred to, as a very vibrant community with numerous shops and 'characters'. The Old English Gentleman on the origin

I was there at Ellis Guildford from 1971-73, I remember a lot of the teachers they were all a bit eccentric, Mr Barks was the Maths teacher he was a bit Of a " Paper Tiger" my dad knew him and we wen

Posted Images

It was F. Inger and I guess her father or grandfather William Inger was the shopkeeper there in 1915. Known as Two Mile Cottages...Two miles from where Lord only knows.

I once returned a cat to one of those cottages...unfortunately the dog the lady had didn't agree it was her cat so I didn't get the sixpence reward I was hoping for. Hopefully the cat found it's way home afterwards... :P

Lime tree Avenue?...that's a new one on me.

Interesting that there has been a sawmill there for many years...The sand quarry was on the opposite side of Nuthall Road 50 yards towards Nottm. Council houses now. Must've been a big one half the hill has disappeared.

Still don't know why it's called Two Mile... :huh:

From Robert Mellors History of Nottingham 1914

Two-Mile Houses. Two-Mile Houses on the Alfreton Road, more than three miles from Nottingham, had formerly a large brass and iron foundry, and in 1832 it had a large establishment for singeing lace by gas, belonging to Samuel Hall & Co. The "Starch House," a four-storey building, is now the residence of Mrs. Meadows, Nursery Gardens. Napoleon Square has the usual "T.N." initials, 1853. How fond Mr. North was of building cottages on three sides of a square, securing the children a good play ground. There is a saw mill and sand quarry.

FAIR DINKUM Jackson it appears I touched raw nervre somewhere, how you misconstrued my comments as being sexist baffles me?. If you read my comments in my next thread you would see that I apologised for a typing error re your name and signing off as KJ 792!!! As Poohbear commented where,s your sense of humour.I posted on this site because after 58 years away from the old dart I started researching my family history,and Ellis, Nottingham,Skegness, Sheffield, are areas my family resided and I hoped that maybe a conection could be made. 49 years of marriage qualifies me as a non sexist male. KJ792

Poohbear, Lime Tree Avenue is the first avenue after Broxtowe Lane, going towards Cinderhill. I Googled it and the address that was our doctor's surgery, is still a doctor's surgery, after all these years.

Hi Katyjay,

You have jogged my memory,I do recall Dr,s Hargreaves and Rutherford, I would not have remembered their names until you mentioned them, I can still picture waiting to see them,what a small world, you are in Arizona and I in Australia, hows your golf?.Where did you live?. There was a girl I had a crush on, lived on Nuthall Rd, could have been you.If you left the Doctors, crossed the road to the Barleycorn, past the small shop, turned right into a cul de sac, that's where I lived. Do you remember the Shipstones horses parked outside the Barleycorn, the little old lady from the shop would stop serving her customers and shovel up the horse poo into her bucket and march back into the shop bucket and all. Aah memories, Regards KJ792

:biggrin: Hi Katyjay, remember a girl name of: Jean Scrivens?(William Crane); she lived in the cottages a little further along from the 'John Barleycorn'. She once invited me to her home; I couldn't believe that a family could live in such a tiny place. Cottages were built into a tiny twitchell that reached into Nuthall Road; wonder if they belonged to Thomas North, re 'Napoleon Square', 'Holden Square' miner's accommodation all within the vicinity?

:biggrin: Hi KJ792, I know the cul de sac where you lived on Nuthall Road; posh those houses back in the 50's - sorry to say, not so posh now - all to do with the volume of traffic that Nuthall Road takes these days.

Thanks for reminding me of the Shippo's horses: fearsome, great white things they were with massive tails and clod hopper feet, used to wait patiently outside the 'John Barleycorn'. They seemed to be waiting for ages, why they just didn't head off by themselves I don't know!

PS: Keep posting, I assure you I have 'a sense of humour' in bucketloads! :biggrin:

Poohbear, Lime Tree Avenue is the first avenue after Broxtowe Lane, going towards Cinderhill. I Googled it and the address that was our doctor's surgery, is still a doctor's surgery, after all these years.

Got it now...isn't it strange that from an early age you explore your area,every nook and cranny. But that's one road I never found reason to go down.Walter Hadrill headmaster of Ellis 1950s lived down there for a while.My doctor was Ryan...up the side of the Aspley Cinema...as was.

At the age of 5/6 Mother decided I should attend Sunday School.My older brother accompanied me to that chapel just past Lime Tree.On walking in we were met by a very plain woman in a full ankle length maroon smock...she wore her hair in a tight bun and had a face like a wet weekend.

I immediately ran out crying all the way home...she frightened the crap out of me.A very clear memory and I never went back. :laugh:

kj792, I live just south of the Grand Canyon, but this winter have moved south, we are officially 'snowbirds'. Golf not too bad, for some unknown reason it has improved after 20 years of playing! Going off to play this morning, I assume you play too? I lived on Amesbury Circus, so it wasn't me you had a crush on! The only girl I ever knew to live on Nuthall Rd was Wendy Horton, she lived in the cottages set back from the road, next to Cinderhill Co-op. I remember her saying, when she first moved there and joined our class in the juniors at Crane, 'my dad is a bookie'. I thought he made books!

Christine, I was wrong with the girl's name, you are right, it was Jean Scrivens. Why I thought it was the other one, who knows? Old age plays tricks on you sometimes [or in my case, a lot!]

poobear, Lime Tree Ave, if I remember rightly, was lined with Lime Trees [that figures!] a very nice looking road. Doctor's surgery was upstairs at number 1, later on they had a receptionist who was downstairs, who then sent you up to the waiting room. In my childhood, I would go and get a repeat prescription for me mam, and you went straight upstairs, counted how many folks were in there, and waited your turn. I remember the chapel you mentioned, I had forgotten about it. Wasn't it something like Methodist/Congregationalist or somesuch? I think we were the only ones with doctors Rutherford and Hargreaves, everyone else around us had Ryan.

Dunno about the church Katyjay...I think it was just the nearest running a Sunday School.

My Mother liked Ryan, but I didn't, I only attended there as a child and the man had no bedside manner whatsoever. A bit like Doc Martin on TV (If you've seen it over there) Unsmiling,impatient, and brusque. But as I said Mother thought he was fine.

A visit to the doctor or dentist is a big thing to a kid...the last thing you need is being treated by someone that gives the impression they've got better things to do.

Did you use the library opposite the Aspley Cinema?...indeed did you go the Aspley?...Last film I saw there was 'Singing in the rain' Dads choice...not mine... ;)

Used the library all the time, the bus stop going home was right outside the bogs at the side of the library. I only ever remember going to the Aspley cinema once, and only because I was reminded of the story many a time afterwards. They were showing The Greatest Show on Earth, older brother 7 years my senior was told he had to take me with him. We queued for ages to get in. Once in and the scene came on where the circus train crashed and all hell let loose, I screamed bloody murder and he had to take me home and miss the rest of the film. I bet he could have murdered me quite cheerfully, but he did get to go again later on.

Amazing when you think...public toilets there... You're lucky to find one in a town center nowadays.I live near a shopping centre now...Poundstretcher,Pets at Home,Matalan,Lidl,and others..... not a loo in sight anywhere.

By the way...if you didn't know...Aspley Cinema/Commodore is now Sainsburys. still the old library though.

pfrf.jpg

Katyjay,

We have been to the Canyon, awesome,must be a great place to live. Wife and I travelled a bit around the Sates, hired a car, did all the tourist spots, loved the country. Yes my wife and I still play golf, we live on a Golf estate called Tallwoods on the mid north coast of NSW,moved from Sydney when retired 13 years ago now. At the moment we have had no rain for 3 months, and you may have heard we have raging bush fires all around.

Poohbear,

Aspley cinema? I used to go there once a week, cost me one shilling I think for a bar of Cadbury,s and entrance, all I had left from my paper run and paying off my Raleigh bike @ seven and sixpence a week. I remember coming out one night to the thickest smog you ever saw, the bus conductors were walking in front of the double deckers (No 22) at the kerb with torches to guide the way,freezing cold. The price you paid to see Roy Rogers in a smoke filled cinema.

Off to Sydney today 450 kilometres south to pick up my wife,s sister arriving from Halifax UK.

I think most folks first impression of the Grand Canyon is - gobsmacked! It certainly doesn't look real. If you headed south from there you went into my little town [Williams.

Poohbear, I knew about the Commodore being pulled down and a Sainsbury's in it's place, but I didn't recognise the opposite corner, the blue and white building. Can't remember what exactly was on that corner, but remember the first shop, Pinkett's newsagents and sweet shop.

Katyjay...that bit of land was just waste land years after everywhere else was built upon. I think it was an extra car park for the Commodore for a while.No idea what the building is there now.

I remember when I was about 6 the land from the cinema towards Cinderhill was still a meadow covered in buttercups ...And Pinketts daughter showing me how to make a daisy chain.

'Britain from Above'....1946

7jei.jpg

:biggrin: Aspley Pictures?: went loads of times, the same with the beautifully designed Aspley Library.

Aspley Pictures: I was a regular cinema goer, Saturday afternoons; costing 6d, we were treated to Hopalong Cassidy and other cowboy films. We kids used to stand on our chairs and cheer when Hopalong appeared, magnificently dressed in white, riding a white horse and boo terrifically when the bad boys appeared, dressed in black and you've guessed it, riding black horses.

My dad and grandad were great cinema goers and regular Saturday nights, my sister, uncle and I were taken along; saw many of the greats: George Raft, Kenneth More, John Gregson,Tony Curtis, Diana Dors. One of my favourite films was: 'John and Julie', about two kids who were taken to the big Capital London for the day.

In my mind's eye I can still see the long foyer leading into the pictures and the Gallery of Gold Framed Film Stars lining it; Ultra Glamorous, a golf framed photograph of Tony Curtis comes to mind - I've even made a painting. The fifties are often depicted as dull and boring and so they were much of the time, stuck in the discipline and regimentation left over from World War 11 but there was lots of gorgeous glamour around: ladies with peroxide locks, vast bosoms on display wearing Bling way before now - Marilyn Monroe, Sabrina, Jayne Mansfield - I couldn't wait to grow up and participate........

And as for Aspley Library: what a great place every Saturday morning after I'd done my errands. I'd catch the 22 bus from Amesbury Circus for 1d and go and spend some precious time in their beautiful Junior Library (well stocked and well arranged).

After choosing my books, I'd take them to the lady behind the issue desk to have them stamped - I would have loved the chance to stamp my own books; my turn came later to stamp loads when I joined the staff of NPL in the 60's.

I was a voracious reader, what was called a bookworm; it was my delight to be awarded four tickets when I was 12 and allowed to transfer into the Senior library. Read 'Day Of The Triffids' and 'How Green Was My Valley' - terrific books both.......

Aspley Library had everything possible for a Library to have: Junior library, Senior library, Reading Room, Study Room,

Display Area in the foyer. Some years later in my working life it was back to Aspley Library again, as we new library staff whilst studying for our First Professional exams at the Trent Poly used the Aspley Library Study Room for our Seminars.

Aspley Pictures and Aspley Library: Remembered with Love. :biggrin:

Aspley Library- Junior section, was where I first discovered 'The Moomins', was addicted to those Moomin books;

Sniff, Snufkin, Moominpappa, Moominmamma, Moomintroll (Moomin), Mymble, Groke, Snork Maiden ( my first crush) and Hattifatteners ...

Hi Paulus, just a hunch, I notice you live in Romney Marsh, in recent research of my family I came across a marriage certificate of my Great Grandfathers second marriage (John Jessiman) to Louisa Ellen Bransby,in 1910, giving their address as Bristol Cottage, Lydd. Do you know of this Cottage?

I used Aspley library 1954 to 56 it was great place to stop on my way home from school.

I guess the cottage is long gone, the mystery I am trying to unfold is his first marriage and a possible half brother to my father.

I note nostalgia as an interest so if this "tweeks" anything I would be happy to upload the certificate.

regards KJ792

• 1 month later...

A lot of us on here are perhaps of a different generation but today’s children will have no less a capacity to learn than we had. What they are lacking, unfortunately, is an instilled enthusiasm and desire to learn. This should be promoted by their teachers at an early age. I suspect there is little encouragement from staff in regard to the fascination of mathematics, the wonderment of science or the flexibility of the English language. I don't entirely blame this generation of younger teachers either; they too were probably denied the enlightenment by their radical 'new age' teachers of 20 or 30 years ago.

At that time I well recall my three daughters being taught how to count with coloured squares on paper and coloured blocks on the desk; what the f......ractions was all that about? A few nights at home singing two two's are four; two three's are seven, soon got them understanding arithmetic, but they and I were discouraged by teachers and still had difficulty in grasping the building block business.

Yes, if Kinder's authority and Woodward's enthusiasm was part of the 'Teacher Training' curriculum; I don't think Ellis Guilford's weaknesses would be quite so serious.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Ellis School, Bar Lane