• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi! Jackson, I thought I would like to reply with my similar fine memories of Aspley Library. With its green rubberised flooring and immaculate shelves of books to get lost in. I started in the j

FLY2, I remember cobbled Lincoln Street, (Basford Town) as it was often referred to, as a very vibrant community with numerous shops and 'characters'. The Old English Gentleman on the origin

I was there at Ellis Guildford from 1971-73, I remember a lot of the teachers they were all a bit eccentric, Mr Barks was the Maths teacher he was a bit Of a " Paper Tiger" my dad knew him and we wen

Posted Images

Ellis in the 1950s? Surely, both sides of Bar Lane was lined with houses by then?

Yeah, but he was sneaking out because it was double maths !

I went to Ellis '55 and the allotments were there then...in fact my Dad had one.Those to the right of the school disappeared shortly after to houses.

I think the rear of the school on photo was actually Guilford girls school.......?.......before they combined.

Correct...and one rule was that girls could walk through Ellis to their school...boys couldn't be trusted to behave so no short cut for them...they had to walk round by road.

Thanks for confirmation 'pooh'..........we were a mixed school at Padstow,the only time we were seperated was play-time,the girls were kept away from us in the Tennis courts',.....which was nice......there were some right rough girls at Padstow.........lol.

• Upvote 1

I left Ellis in 1961 and it and it surrounding were as per the pic. Some cracking apple trees in the allotments but it was bloody painful if you were caught scrumping Green made sure of that.

The only bit I am not sure about is that I think there were long jump and high jump sand pits somewhere between the two schools.

Yes the girls took the left hand shortest route...used to keep us amused watching the crumpet passing by...there were just two that were well endowed and gained a fan club :wub: ...Blimey nowadays they are all well built. :rolleyes:

There were indeed sand pits between the schools,and a small greenhouse that I never saw the inside of...shame really, gardening lessons would have helped me more in life than ruddy logarithms.

Do Ellis cyclists remember that we were not allowed to ride a bike down Bar Lane? we had to walk bikes down...you were only allowed to ride up the hill...rumour had it that some kid got run over by belting down the hill onto the main road...so from then on it was walking only,then mount the bike at the bottom.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

I left in 1953 and Saxbys was across the road from Ellis, when i left there was a rotary engine in the big hall wich i had taken apart and i was off school ill and had to go in as they did not know how to put it back together again lol, Some names i can remember are Ronny Gun, Mick Baxter,John Hickling, Malcombe Smith, We used to stand at the double gates so we could try to get the girls to come in the air raid shelter for a bit of kiss and tickle , When i left my brother Alan Hambleton went to Ellis, But can not ask him any thing as he Died last year in his 70s so now i am the only one left and 82 next feb . Now my gran children are at Ellis. under the name of Hambleton.

• Upvote 2

If I remember right Pooh the cyclist lost control (well we didn't have much in the way of brakes then) and when straight across Nuthall Road, didn't make it all the way across though. But the restriction applied in both directions I know for sure because I got the strap for cycling the last 20 yards down to Alpine Street.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi  Simon , in answer to your post [quoted but not certain where it went ] ..yes I was there with you at the same time and class !   As my dad was Mr kendall  you will remember me !  a few slight adjustments  though, as memory is a funny thing .....my father died of cancer in feb 73. The heart attack and death was of the Metal work teacher [who's name currently escapes me] . Other Teachers names included Madam Masafie [?] spelt phonetically  french , Mr Witham, Mr stapleton tech drawing, Geography teacher who was another Mr Clarke, John.    If others pop into my head I will add them ......Do any of you remember a Miss Webster ?

On 01/06/2016 at 2:21 PM, Marriotts said:

Hi,

I was at Ellis Guilford Bilateral School from 1969 to 1974. Mr Green was the headmaster, nicknamed Nobby or Denbo Green. Mr Stewart was English Teacher, Johnny 'one eye' Hall taught Art and called out to misbehaving boys using the term 'Laddie'. Mr Kendal was the Physics teacher who sadly died of a heart attack whilst we were there, his son was in our year. Mr R M Clarke was our Chemistry teacher whils Mr Humpherson taught music. Fred Rex Barks taught Maths, Geography and when deputising for other teachers read the facts of life lol. I remember that FredRex Barks lived on Bar Lane and sold conference pears from his back garden at lunch times. The attached picture is of the 'New Block' taken from Bar Lane Entrance in 1973

Mr Kendall died feb  2nd '73  and it was a metal work teacher who had the heart attack .

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember black dan he used to keep a baseball bat at the side of the desk. When the bell rang he would abandon the class,run straight across the grass to be first in the teachers canteen room.

i also remember Mr Guiliver.he should have taught  religion but if you got him in not the war he would reside all his waretime memories.

• 2 months later...

Think the metalwork staff in my era 55-59 were "Ben" Lion and Wrathall who owned  an MG TC at one point. There was one teacher who owned a 3 wheel Morgan special? It was made of thin planks of wood gracefully sculptured into curves from front to back. It looked like an upside down rowing boat with a hole cut out for the driver. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2011 at 5:02 PM, Beduth said:

I was 15 when I left Ellis in May 1956 to move to Coventry with family.

I believe I was in Faraday House but I can’t remember the forth. Hopefully I will be able to contribute a lot more to this topic with names, photo’s etc. Once I become familiar with the workings of this website.

It was Faraday House. Head Master, Walter P. Hadrill who lived on Lime Tree  Avenue opposite Stockhill park.

I also remember the teaching staff, most notoriously 'Rubber Neck'. Mr Kinder. If caught with a minor misdemeanour you were the recipient of three hard thumps in the back with the flat of his hand.  His teaching idiosyncrasies included, nibbed pen and ink only, ink wells clean and = signs all in line down the page. He appeared more interested in maths figure formatting than getting the math lesson through to the pupils.

Also the 'Jock' Bowley, well known, and why, for his visits to the changing room following PT.

'Johnny one-eye', Mr. Hall, gave a good thrashing to a boy, Ray Wallis, caught leering through the class window during art class.

Mrs Sheldon was the school secretary next to Mr McKnight's English class in the huts.

Guilford Girls School ran separately to Ellis with the young short-haired Art Mistress providing the glamor causing a following of eyes from the boys side as she walked down Bar lane towards Nuthall Road. Pat Atkinson also caused some eye turning when leaving school at Stockhill Circus.

Names remembered; Barry Feetham, Ray Wallis, Alan Glen, Pete Cope, Elvin ???, Keith Dawes, Pete Orme et al.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Ellis School, Bar Lane