More memory stirrers thanks.

Mention of a 'perve' reminds me of a notorious bin man at the time around the Nuthall Road area.

Anyone recall 'Johnny' who would offer pupils a bob or two to do whatever?

And no, I didn't!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi! Jackson, I thought I would like to reply with my similar fine memories of Aspley Library. With its green rubberised flooring and immaculate shelves of books to get lost in. I started in the j

FLY2, I remember cobbled Lincoln Street, (Basford Town) as it was often referred to, as a very vibrant community with numerous shops and 'characters'. The Old English Gentleman on the origin

I was there at Ellis Guildford from 1971-73, I remember a lot of the teachers they were all a bit eccentric, Mr Barks was the Maths teacher he was a bit Of a " Paper Tiger" my dad knew him and we wen

Posted Images

And another thing.

We used to go spud picking in the summer holidays. Up Bawtry way I think. Also some lads went to Pipewood ?? for a holiday if I remember rightly. Where and what it was I don't know.

Just paid my annual visit to Friends Re-united.

In the Ellis School I have found a Ken Meakin. Just messaged him to check he is the one we were talking about.

Also some football teams photos from 1948/9 with Alf Kinder in.

And another thing.

We used to go spud picking in the summer holidays. Up Bawtry way I think. Also some lads went to Pipewood ?? for a holiday if I remember rightly. Where and what it was I don't know.

I seem to remember going to Cannock Chase with the school for some reason, was that Pipewood?

I also went spud picking, can only remember how much it made my back ache.

• 4 months later...

I've been in the attic and found these Ellis School teacher autographs from May 1956. I collected these on leaving mid-term to move to Coventry. Didn't dare go and ask Hadrill for his.

scan0001.jpg

I remember just about all of the teachers who signed your autograph book - There were also a few you missed

Parker (Asst headmaster)also taught RE. Nickname Fess pronounced Fez as in Fess Parker the actor who played Davey Crockett - First teacher to give me the cane.I was unjustly accused of spitting at a prefect. It wasn't me. Though I did give him a thump when we got out of school that evening in revenge.

Fred Barks taught Geography (and sex education) No nickname but always known as Fred Barkes

Mr Kendall Science teacher. No nickname There was a also second science teacher names Mr Varley

Mr Woodward taught Transport and communications - He was the first teacher to give me the strap - Drawing a picture with my finger in the chalk dust on his blackboard

Mr Appleton Nickname Black Dan taught history and I think Technical Drawing

Mr Bowley taught PE and History (Odd combination!) Nickname Jock He was banned from teaching in the 1960s (Paedophillia)

Mr Pearson taught Music in Hut 1 No Nickname

Mr McKnight - I think he taught English

Mr Kinder taught Maths Nickname Rubberneck - He was tall and he had a long neck. Second teacher to give me the strap - Caught me riding my bike down Bar Lane.

Mr Hall taught Art Nickname Johnny One Eye

Mr Lyon taught Metalwork Nickname Ben - There was a famous comedian at the time named Ben Lyon Died at school of a heart attack in the 1960s.

Mr Basham - What a great name for a teacher! I can't remember his subject

Mr Davis PE No nickname

Mr Baker Film Studys in Room 1 No nickname He was a decorated WW2 bomber pilot He was the second teacher to give me the strap - Carving my initials in the lid of a new desk.

Mr Hadril Headmaster

Mr Green Headmaster

Mr Rothwell taught Metalwork No nickname - He was very tall, about six foot six

Mr Taylor I think he taught English No nickname

I was at Ellis from September 1955 to December 1959 Overall, I enjoyed the experience and generally rated most of the above teachers as being good at their jobs

Keith

Hi Keith,

I've a feeling I've asked you this before on Friends Reunited? apologies if repeating myself. Senility!

I was at the Ellis until 58 and joined the Army Apprentices in August 59.

I joined because my best mate had already done so. He was Keith Daws (Dawes) and lived off Nottingham Road.

We both went to Scotland Place (Heathfield Primary) pre Ellis. Although I went to the High Pavement 54 to 57!

Do you remember him and have any idea of his whereabouts?

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Ellis school also and had fun remembering all the names of the teachers but Black Dan always stood out as a hard man that kept his kids under control, but I do remember his reading the story of Shag the dog and whne he said the name of the dog no one dare laugh.

I remember names like barry haines, Tony Sharpe, tony Brookes, rodney Elston,

many thanks for the memories Rod Fisher Australia

No replies about Ellis before it merged with Guilford?...I'm surprised,anyone there in the fifties? Headmasters Hadrill and Green.Some of the teachers...Barks,Kinder(Rubberneck) Kendal,Bowler,Woodward,Hall, and 'Black Dan'... can't remember his proper name....Anybody else out there remember??

Paul.

Mr Hadrill ( Walter ) was my headmaster at The Technical School for Textiles early 40`s, would this be the same Hadril I wonder. So The Commodore has gone eh, I had a

Shop in the parade there 60`s 70`s.

When we moved to Bulwell my eldest Sister Olive went to Ellis but had a better education at Chesterfield and was so advanced above the School that she was allowed to leave to go to work. Same with my brother who went to High Pavement, and my other Sister to Mundella. Poor old me failed my 11 plus

• 1 year later...

Crikey this has brought back some memories. I was at Ellis till christmas 1961 and can remember most of those teachers.

Yes Danny it was the same Walter Hadrill.

What not a lot of people know is just how influential Walter was as to how the school was run. All the craft based learning was down to Walter and his ideas of secondary education.

If you want to learn more google 'Headmaster, The Ellis Secondary School For Boys Nottingham'. This will bring up a paper written by Walter where he explains his thoughts and ideas.

Colin

• 1 month later...

Do you know, I've been trying for days to understand this Photobucket transfer business and I suspect I might have got it.

What I wanted to do was to display an image of a newspaper cutting from 1955 and here it is. I think the only way I shall know if I have been successful is if I post it. Hopefully, by magic, the image should appear. I'll bet it dosen't. Here goes. Well yes it worked. Hoorah !!

The little fella in the middle at the back is me. The teacher is Mr. Pearson. Second from the right is I believe Malcolm Holmes. Is that Johnny Burrows in there and John Laffar?

Come on guys put names to the faces please.

img191_zpsc54ae4d1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi mick2me,

Do you know , I'm so proud. Ha ha.

You ask what else am I going to post. Well I've got maybe half a dozen other Ellis photo's but most are of individuals that I have lost track off. They might have even gone to the big school in the sky!! Do you see any harm in posting these ? I suppose it could create a reaction; besides I want to try that 'Picturepail' trick again. I'm away for a short while soon so I'll await your response before I post them.

Beduth.

I say, you have a very quaint turn of phrase old bean. :tongue:

Thanks Mick; will do.

I dont know if other Schools taught the kids the Siamese National Anthem. I remember we had to sing it to our National Anthem tune. It went something like this.

AWAR TARNAR SIAM

AWAR TARNAR SIAM

AWAR TARNARS

Cheers,

Beduth

• 2 months later...

I was there at Ellis Guildford from 1971-73, I remember a lot of the teachers they were all a bit eccentric, Mr Barks was the Maths teacher he was a bit Of a " Paper Tiger" my dad knew him and we went to his house once and he was charming! they used to call him "Fred Boots" cos he had squeaky shoes!!! he was my form teacher and my maths teacher, I was & still am dyslexic when it comes to numbers, He couldn't understand why I was bottom of the class in maths and 1st or second in all other subjects!!then there was Miss Bryan, who was very nice, but very 1940's in her dress sense she was relatively young but wore tweeds and twinset and pearls, Mr Stuart/Stewart was the English teacher, he was very camp, bit could fly into ( i suspect) act of rage, if the kids played up, there was "Dotty" miss Rudd who was like something out of ST Trinnians, I think she was the Cooking teacher she was in her 60's and had long white hair in two plaits i remember two teachers died whilst I was there, there was an elderly metalwork teacher, who got into a heated argument with a skinhead pupil, and had a heart attack at lunch time! and there was another teacher very scary I think his name was Mr Kendall, and a bit of a bully, although i suspect they had to be like that to control the kids, who even back in 1973 were way out of control, he died of a heart attack he would have only been in his early 40's

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

Don't get on to me, I'm still just learning! Posting 45 was an experiment to see if I could still remember how to unbucket my Photobucket, and it worked.

I've had to re-post this because for some reason the original postings No. 13 & 33 have been deleted. What it shows is Ellis School teachers autographs from 1956.

Now let's see if I can download the picture of cricket team from posting 16.

f1358a67-3472-4c87-9cb1-baaede36c0da_zps

• Upvote 2

Here are some more photo's and hopefully more to follow :-

scan0010_zpsb4eaf7ec.jpg

At the back is Peter Jones and Patrick Johnson (Jimbo); at the front Kenny Meakin and Michael Snowden. We were in the sand dunes at Blakeney Point when on a School trip in 1955/56.

scan0009_zps8f53c037.jpg

Two best teachers; Oglesby & Woodward on the same trip.

• Upvote 1

And some more:-

scan0005-1_zps9dbf3498.jpg

Jimbo and myself (Scruffy git) on the same trip.

scan0002-1_zps074f9844.jpg

Lads up Matlock way; A few names; Dave Wiley on top shelf, then below him I think Terry Guildford; front row, second from right Neil Telling. Respect to those I can't name.

scan0006-1_zpsfed57b8a.jpg

Neil Telling on Black Rocks.

:biggrin:Congratulations Beduth, a beautiful set of photographs; s'pecially like the ones of the boys in their Cricket Whites #46, boys in the sand dunes #47, and boy with a dog found in the sand dunes #49.

PS: Aren't you clever? :biggrin:

PPS: I remember those autograph books circa: 1956 - the girls in my class at junior school were crazy on 'em. :Kiss:

PPPS: (s'pecially for Carni) I keep having to take a look at the last photo: Boy with the 'dog found', it's so beautiful in its simplicity...............and the boy's smile....................

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Ellis School, Bar Lane