• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The smell of cigars at Christmas............The men in my family only ever smoked cigars then......still reminds me of christmas when I smell one........Also the smell of boiled cabbage in carbonated

The smell in the air on November 6th every year of last night's fireworks. Loved it, very evocative.

DAVE48 - My dad always carved the meat, (can smell it now).....He was the head of the house, what he said was law............

Remember them all, folks, from the creosote that I painted fences with at the Kennels to the bus smells as you walked through Huntingdon Street Bus Station to get to the RoT bus up in the top corner. The smell of the onions and hotdogs at the stall outside Victoria Station late at night, to the smell of the trains and the inside of the carriages.

The smell of Central Market, firstly the fish and meat area and then the general stalls. The smell from inside a tobacconists, especially Astills on the corner of Shelford and Main Roads, RoT. The smell of coffee and the concoction of other food items inside Mansells, the general store on Radcliffe Road, WB during the early 50s (rationing still in effect).

The smell of tea or coffee drank outdoors from the plastic cup of a Thermos flask.

The sharp smell of an icy cold morning when everywhere is deep in snow and ice. The smell of a summers morning; the early warmth of the sun giving rise to aromas from the plants around you, the tarmac, the footpath.

The smell of sawdust at the timber mills off London Road. The smell of iron, steel and oil in Danks, the ironmongers on London Road.

All the smells remembered fondly, many gone but not forgotten. Thanks people.

• Upvote 2

All this talk of fires reminds me about my walk to the shop the other evening when we had our first dusting of snow. As i live in netherfield, its all old terrace houses... And on my way back i noticed a single chimney puffing out smoke. Was quite humbling to see that one single chimney doing its job! I remember having a coal fire as a child, One memory that sticks out is i used to love my dummies as a toddler, and to make me stop having one my mum threw one onto the fire and as it melted it looked like little worms.. She told me worms lived in my dummies. I now have a phobia of worms, maggots and anything wiggly haha!

Also someone mentioned freshly laid tarmac, One thing i love about the really hot days of summer is when you can smell the hot tarmac, as well as the stuff layed fresh. Reminds me of playing out when i was younger on the front (you know, when it was 'safe' to play out)

A couple of weeks ago I paid a rare visit into Nottingham city centre and the first smell that really hit me was the stink from the bus and taxis. They'd park up with the engines running and I'd hold my breath until I'd passed. I've always hated it right from my childhood.

I'd forgotten about that smell Stu, I know exactly what you mean. As well as the smell, we'd look for dead fireworks in the streets the next day. I guess we were hoping to find one we could still let off.

• Upvote 1

The smell in the air on November 6th every year of last night's fireworks. Loved it, very evocative.

Love that smell too. Not so keen on the smell of my clothes and hair if iv been to somewhere were theyv had a bonfire though. Used to play out when i was a kid the next day, i remember we used to get the fireworks we'd find off the street and pretend to have our own bonfire night. Those where the days.

• Upvote 1

Paulus, going OT but as a nipper, I remember the ferry at SB, just a rowboat back in the early 50s and the ferryman used to be in the pub most of the time.

Used it a couple of times with my parents, including crossing back to the RoT side after dark one night and then walking home to Cliff Drive.

Chips frying in dripping

Railway Station in the steam age

Railway carriages in the steam age

Railway engines in the steam age

Getting the smoke on top of Bridges as a steam locomotive passed beneath.

The smell of a Colliery winding engine house.

The acrid smell of coal dust as the coal man emptied the sack into the cellar or coal house.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Granddad stoking up his pipe and his smile of satisfaction when it was puffing nicely. If any of us grandchildren had a cold or stuffiness he would walk us down Radford Rd to Basford gas works and spend a bit of time in the yard inhaling the coal tar fumes.

Chips frying in dripping

Railway Station in the steam age

Railway carriages in the steam age

Railway engines in the steam age

Getting the smoke on top of Bridges as a steam locomotive passed beneath.

The smell of a Colliery winding engine house.

The acrid smell of coal dust as the coal man emptied the sack into the cellar or coal house.

Ditto

The smell of chalk used to write on slate boards and then the smell of wax crayons in my primary school.

The smell of the interiors of very old cars which was a mixture of old oil, damp carpet and leather.

• Upvote 1

Smell of tripe cooking ........yucchhhh !

Never ever tasted it but guess my mum and dad liked it now and then .