2 smells do it for me.

Fresh bread baking - brings back memories of mum bringing the loaf out of the oven at the side of the open fire in the front room. Couldn't wait for it to cool so that we could have a slice - and fight over who got the crust!!

Paraffin burning - used to have to fetch it from Prestons the Ironmongers (I think that's what it was called) at the top of Aspley Lane in a gallon tin (blue one that tapered in to a twist stopper at the top. mum used to fill a small stove in the kitchen for heating as this was way before the cenral heating was installed.

What does it for you??

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The smell of cigars at Christmas............The men in my family only ever smoked cigars then......still reminds me of christmas when I smell one........Also the smell of boiled cabbage in carbonated

The smell in the air on November 6th every year of last night's fireworks. Loved it, very evocative.

DAVE48 - My dad always carved the meat, (can smell it now).....He was the head of the house, what he said was law............

That musty cellar smell, reminds me of my grans old house / cellar (Where they used to sit during air raids in the war.)

The forestry commission had cut up a fallen beech tree some weeks back.

The smell took me back to the early fifties.I spent many months in the country where I had to earn my pocket money chopping logs in the woodshed for the fires.

Paul.

The smell of the sugar beet factory in Colwick Industrial park. Often very strong in September/October as they processed the beet harvest I suppose. When we could smell it in Netherfield it always seemed like rain would come soon after.

Also a reminder that Goose Fair and bonfire night were just around the corner.

Dave

Two things for me, first the smell of baking bread - we lived fairly close to the Sunblest Bakery on Hucknall Road so it was a common smell. The second would be coal fires, a bit of a rarity these days but you know as soon as you walk into an area with one burning.

Also that smell of steam trains at the station.

An oily kind of smell.

And the sulphury smoke smell, that tickled your nose?

The stench that drifted toward the west of Nottingham when Stanton iron works were damping down the ashes.

The smell of a Sunday roast from almost every house while we played, sadly lacking in most homes these days.

Also that smell of steam trains at the station.

An oily kind of smell.

And the sulphury smoke smell, that tickled your nose?

Oh yes, you reminded me Mick, running to the bridge on Old Coach Road to catch the steam in our faces when the trains passed.

These are the smells of my childhood, sadly no more. Parafin in the heater in the outside toilet. Bread wafting from Blanchard's at Watnall if the wind was in the right direction. Tar on a hot summer's day when it melted on the edge of the road. Granny's cellar smelled musty. Goose Fair had that sweet smell of the candy floss machine, toffee apples, and the oily smell of the machinery driving the rides. Mussels cooking on Sunday morning, tripe and onions on the stove top [yuk to both of them] Lights cooking for the dog's dinner. The smell of the Co-op with bacon or cheese on the slicer, hams hanging up. Dad making bonfire toffee and peanut brittle on bonfire night. Smog in winter, that sooty smell that came with it. Toast done on a toasting fork over the open fire. Mothballs in the wardrobe.

These are the smells of my childhood, sadly no more. Parafin in the heater in the outside toilet. Bread wafting from Blanchard's at Watnall if the wind was in the right direction. Tar on a hot summer's day when it melted on the edge of the road. Granny's cellar smelled musty. Goose Fair had that sweet smell of the candy floss machine, toffee apples, and the oily smell of the machinery driving the rides. Mussels cooking on Sunday morning, tripe and onions on the stove top [yuk to both of them] Lights cooking for the dog's dinner. The smell of the Co-op with bacon or cheese on the slicer, hams hanging up. Dad making bonfire toffee and peanut brittle on bonfire night. Smog in winter, that sooty smell that came with it. Toast done on a toasting fork over the open fire. Mothballs in the wardrobe.

Hey Katyjay! those smells are so evocative of my youth in the Meadows too, my Dad made the most amazing Pea & Ham soup, he loved cooking & although I became a chef - mostly because of his & my Aunts love of good local home-made food, I have never in my proffesional capacity been able to re-create that special taste/smell/association of My dad's Pea & ham soup in the kitchen of a 2 up & 2 down in Nottingham Meadows in the '60's :( for all my long years catering, it is a flavour that will elude me forever I think - possibly because it is so much steeped in youth & nostalgia, there was always too, in the autumn. roasting of chestnuts & at bonfire night, that great tradition of bonfire toffee, it's quite amusing when you Google this stuff, most of the links you find are quite poor in re-creating these lost smells & flavours

Hi 68fb, I had a friend lived at 119 Wilford Cres East in the late 50's early 60's. She was on the corner of I think. Bathley St. Anywhere near you?

Brought up Norton Street/Hartley Rd Radford.

How could I forget the smell of John Players?

I think you can still smell that smell down near the Clifton Bridge factory?

Brought up Norton Street/Hartley Rd Radford.

How could I forget the smell of John Players?

I think you can still smell that smell down near the Clifton Bridge factory?

Not forgetting "The Raleigh" a smell of oil and sweat as we used to say

Turpentine. It takes me right back to the days of my dad bringing work home. He was a signwriter and the majority of his work was at coachbuilders, doing lorries, vans, Shippo's drays, buses. Or going out to shops to do their signage. But most evenings saw him painting his smaller pieces of work, ie signs, in the living room. The smell of gloss paint, followed by turps to clean the brushes, sticks with me.

My mums baking.....She always seemed to be baking!! Apple pie or a Victoria sponge or the like

Nobody mentioned the smell from the sewage works at Stoke Bardolph yet. Always seemed to be worse in the evening after a hot day. Powerful pong! really cleared your sinuses

Dave

Someone is bound to have said this - the smell from the chip shop when we were allowed a 'six of chips' in a proper grease-proof bag - half full of vinegar.............and a sheet of newspaper underneath