From that chippy opposite the bus depot on Bunbury street

Rog

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The smell of cigars at Christmas............The men in my family only ever smoked cigars then......still reminds me of christmas when I smell one........Also the smell of boiled cabbage in carbonated

The smell in the air on November 6th every year of last night's fireworks. Loved it, very evocative.

DAVE48 - My dad always carved the meat, (can smell it now).....He was the head of the house, what he said was law............

Hi 68fb, I had a friend lived at 119 Wilford Cres East in the late 50's early 60's. She was on the corner of I think. Bathley St. Anywhere near you?

Hi Katyjay, I lived at number 27 which was around the junction with Mundella Road, Bathley street was about half-way to school for me so right in the middle of my "play" area, what was your friends name? I was born there in '54 & moved away around '66 to Gedling.

Jeyes fluid!

Nobody mentioned the smell from the sewage works at Stoke Bardolph yet. Always seemed to be worse in the evening after a hot day. Powerful pong! really cleared your sinuses

Dave

Later on we moved to Emerys Road, quit close to Stoke Bardulph (where I was to work for awhile at the Ferry Boat Inn) - I remember that olfactory smell real good, remember those settling ponds at the back always bore a good crop of self-seeding tomatoes, late summer lol.

68fb - her name was Frances Watts.

I remember the smell of the Trent, especially at Gunthorpe weir. That was often a Sunday outing for us.

One of mine is the smell of Buddleia bushes. There were many of these where I grew up laden with butterflies and bees and the scent always takes me back.

Talking of Buddlea, mine are absolutely snided in moths at night, very few butterflies in the day though. Any Lepidopterists out there can tell me what kind off moth it is?? I'm pretty good with butterflies but not moths

aa001.jpg

aa004.jpg

aa008.jpg

I always remember the smell from the old wash tub that my grandmother would use with the ponch and mangle every Monday morning and then the smell of the stew that would be put on the stove after the washing was done. Grandma, or Doll Brown, as most folks knew her lived in a terraced house on Midland Cresent. No kitchens in those days, 1950s and 60s, how did they cope without all the technology we have today.

Mondays dinner was nearly always stew from Sundays leftovers. Sunday joint roasting, somehow doesn't smell the same nowdays.

The smell of old folks wardrobes and cupboards, and did anyone have a sideboard. The front room always seemed to have a smell of it's own as well, perhaps because it wasn't used very often. The smell of the ground when it rained after a sunny day and what about the tar on the roads when it was that hot that it melted.

Pau

The Tar smell has been mentioned before but the other odours were very thought provoking took me back fifty decades

Bip.

50 decade makes you very very old Den!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !clapping!

That icy creamy cold ice-cream fridge smell....I can smell it now if I try. Best remembered in Jones's shop at the top of Donkey Hill, or in Joe's on the corner of Dowson Street and Gordon Road.

Wafers were the best. You can buy a little machine now to make the ice cream shape to fit the wafers.

Ayup Beefsteak,

Checkout that "lincs bird club" website, look for latest uploaded pictures,click on that and pick "moths and butterflies" you should be able to identify it from there

Rog

68fb - her name was Frances Watts.

I remember the smell of the Trent, especially at Gunthorpe weir. That was often a Sunday outing for us.

Katyjay - thanks, I don't re-call the name - but maybe there will be a link in the future, good to get all the info' in the forum for future association.

My Mum used to say that there was a girl who followed me aroung constantly & always seemed to have a runny nose, Teresa was her name - God, I hope she's not on here embarrassed.gif

You have taken me back to the 1950s,we used to play on the cricket field between Gedling and Netherfield and when we heard a train coming ,we would run up the steps onto the top of the bridge and let all the steam and smoke come up and see who could bare it the longest,no doubt we all went home abit grubby at the end of the day great fun.In the sixties i used to work at the soap factory down colwick,and at the end of the day we would catch the bus to Gedling ,the bus would be overpowered with the perfume of the soap,not very popular with the other passengers,was it called Robert Winsors, i have forgotton.

Whilst on our day out I caught the whiff of aviation fuel exhaust and it reminded me of the smell round the back of the old "Mr Whippy" ice cream van

Ayup Radfordred

The smell you got a wiff of at the speedway would be Castrol R40 or similar, a castor based oil,

What about the smell of them there swimmin baffs (bl@@dy awful)

Rog

The whiff of my cut off wellington boots , Karvol capsules , Vicks & whatever fuel they used to run those motorbikes around long Eaton speedway track.

I LOVE that smell! It is indeed Castrol R - added to the fuel as an upper-cylider lubricant (remember RedX?) - we went to the vintage bike races in Ohio last weekend, lots of that smell, and memories!

• 4 years later...

School dinners! They had a very distinctive smell, some Cafe's smell like them as you walk past. I do love the smell and it takes me back to the good old days.

Fresh cut grass, i used to sit and make 'birds nests' out of the clippings.