On 11/25/2014 at 8:57 PM, Compo said:

Funny how a smell can evoke strong memories.

Just sitting here having a new seasons Mandarin for lunch and as soon as I started to peel it the smell took me back to Christmas morning in the 1950's.

The roaring coal fire, the frost on the windows and finding that Mandarin in the stocking along with the chocolate coins and the selection box.

Pomegranates were always a part of our Christmas too, eating the ruby red seeds with a safety pin. Nowadays they appear on almost every salad

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The smell of cigars at Christmas............The men in my family only ever smoked cigars then......still reminds me of christmas when I smell one........Also the smell of boiled cabbage in carbonated

The smell in the air on November 6th every year of last night's fireworks. Loved it, very evocative.

DAVE48 - My dad always carved the meat, (can smell it now).....He was the head of the house, what he said was law............

No coal fires on Xmas Day in Adelaide - far too warm!  I think Xmas Day and Boxing Day must have been the only two days of the year when we wee allowed a fire in the morning. at all other times it was four in the afternoon before it was lit. I suppose that was to warm the room up for when dad came home from work.

As a kid we nearly always had a fire as it heated the hot water in the "back boiler". As my dad worked shifts either he or mum would "bank the fire up" such that the house was warm and the fire stayed lit all night. At the time it was the only form of heating in the house and all the other rooms were  freezing in winter.

We have just started the winter season here, its a cool 15 deg with light showers today.