Can you remember your first weeks at school?

At five years old in the early Fifties, my Mum took me to Whitemoor Infants.I remember clutching my little string bag with a flannel and soap in it,which was hung on my own hook in the cloakroom.The boys and girls toilets were half the size of adult ones,as were the desks and chairs.All the kids had to go to bed for a nap after lunch for an hour...not me..no way could they get me to sleep.So the teacher used to sit me on her knee and read to me from Peter Rabbit instead.

School was about three quarters of a mile away and Mum took me for a couple of days then I used to go on my own.Can you imagine that today? Five years old and yet went to school every day on my own...no problem...or worry.

I remember the girls from Guilford in their green uniforms walking in the opposite direction to their school..boy were they old. :biggrin:

Paul.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummm ...... just re-read the above post made by me and I don't understand what I've written, haha. What I should have said is 'If you were writing on a slate then that must have been pre WW1'. I'd l

During the war I lived with my grandparents in Cheltenham Street, Old Basford. In 1944 I went to the infants at Southwark Street School. I remember November 1945 like it was yesterday, sitting on the

That really tickled me Michael !!!!!

I do remember the sleep - on little camp beds - and the tiny toilets - and the (half?) pint of milk or orange juice - the milk was always warm and yukky so I went for the orange juice! Because of my total lack of musical talent I got to play the triangle in the school band!

I recall part of my first day at Blue Bell Hill Infants at five years of age. I made my way home at lunchtime thinking school was over for the day. I was taken back by a neighbour. Thats about all I can remember.

Also, I didn't wear specs then - so I couldn't learn to read becasue I couldn't see the words - everyone thought I was stupid till someone asked me about it. So, they tested my eyes and got me some glasses - turned out I was still stupid - but luckily - too young to care. :smile:

Also, I didn't wear specs then - so I couldn't learn to read becasue I couldn't see the words - everyone thought I was stupid till someone asked me about it. So, they tested my eyes and got me some glasses - turned out I was still stupid - but luckily - too young to care. :smile:

Those John Lennon wire frame type??

I do remember the sleep - on little camp beds - and the tiny toilets - and the (half?) pint of milk or orange juice - the milk was always warm and yukky so I went for the orange juice! Because of my total lack of musical talent I got to play the triangle in the school band!

I think the milk and orange juice were in third pints weren't they? That orange was available from your milkman(full of iron they said) and was the only time I ever used a farthing (Which was demonetarized in 1956...in other words you couldn't spend them)

Now a farthing was a quarter of an old penny,and there were 240 pennies to the pound...So,for a modern pound you could buy 960 bottles of orange juice...Not bad for a quid eh? :biggrin:

I know on frosty winter days when the free milk was left outside the classrooms it sometimes froze some bottles...we used to fight over those...Instant icy slush drink...magic!

Then there was the compulsory spoonful of cod liver oil...yuk...The spoonful of malt used to be nice though.They worried about our health in those days with the shortages just after the war..Not many fat kids in our school then.

Paul.

PS...I got stuck with the triangle too...

Ayup all,

My first day was at Collygate down the Meadows, my granny lived across the road on Wilford grove so I did a runner first chance I got and that set the tone for the remainder of my school life,

Can you remember the smell of them paper towels they used to have? We still have them now at work, so I get reminded of the old school days every day

Rog

I think the milk and orange juice were in third pints weren't they? That orange was available from your milkman(full of iron they said) and was the only time I ever used a farthing (Which was demonetarized in 1956...in other words you couldn't spend them)

Now a farthing was a quarter of an old penny,and there were 240 pennies to the pound...So,for a modern pound you could buy 960 bottles of orange juice...Not bad for a quid eh? :biggrin:

I know on frosty winter days when the free milk was left outside the classrooms it sometimes froze some bottles...we used to fight over those...Instant icy slush drink...magic!

Then there was the compulsory spoonful of cod liver oil...yuk...The spoonful of malt used to be nice though.They worried about our health in those days with the shortages just after the war..Not many fat kids in our school then.

Paul.

PS...I got stuck with the triangle too...

Funnily enough I heard Eamon Holmes talking about LSD (no - not that LSD) on the radio - he was trying to work out what an old-time paper round would be in 'proper' money! He thought there were 12 shillings to the pound, so it was interesting to hear him trying to work it out.

Bet some of the folks on here had paper rounds - I wanted one but being Tom-Thumb-sized they wouldn't take me on, so I had to look at the boys in the shop and dream.................. I used to be there to buy my beloved copies of the Beezer and the New Hotspur.

My first school was good old Bosworth Road Infants and Juniors School. I don't remember the infants teachers so well but some of the junior teachers that I remember were, Mr Gent the Headmaster, Mr Palmer, Miss Francis (could have been infants) Mr Garside, Mr Miller, Miss Bailey and Mr Blueman, the caretaker.

I never excelled at anything at school (my brother, Martin, was in all the sports team) apart from reading. By the time I was six there were no more books for me to read in the infants. I'd read all the "Pirate" books and the "Janet and John" so one day I was taken out of class ( I didn't know what for at the time.) and taken upstairs to the juniors.

I was taken in to a class full of juniors and they were told (and so was I, at last) that I had read all the books downstairs and I had been brought upstairs to find something to read. I can still remember the book I eventually picked to read, The Adventures of Milly Molly Mandy by Joyce Lankester Brisley.

I can remember the school nativity play just before I left to go to Mundella, mainly because I was one of the 3 kings.

nativity.jpg

That's me in the middle folks.

As we lived on Newcastle Road at the time I was always able to get home for my dinner, which also reminds me of a time in the juniors when Mr Garside had kept the whole class in at lunchtime. I think we usually finished for lunch at 12.00 but something had happened earlier and no one would own up to it. Anyway, it got later and later and kids were starting to get worried (no doubt the parents were as well)

At about 1.00 I saw my dad's face appear at the classroom door and he wasn't best pleased. After a few words with the teacher I was let home for my lunch and everyone else soon after.

I can remember having to sellotape our names to the bottom of a dish, plate and spoon for the christmas party, and being sick at one of them. Asking the teacher why, if matter contracts as it gets cool why does the milk expand out of the bottle when it freezes. Anybody remember that?

Paul

My first day at school (St Pauls C of E , Carlton Hill) consisted of me marching off into the playground telling my mum I'd see her later. (I was so looking forward to it as my best friend who was only 4 weeks older than me had started the previous year and I was suddenly "Nobby No Mates")

I had absolutely no idea where I was going!! fortunately mum caught me and took me to the large hall where we met our new teacher (Mrs Burleigh ,not far off retirement age). She then led us across the, seemingly endless ,playground to the class room. I can still remember her walk (slightly stooped) and her brown smock type overall, as we held our partners hand on the long march. (She also smelt nice)

I remember making a submarine going under a bridge out of three wooden bricks , then two other kids who had ganged up ,Anne Cantrell and Kevin Bowler, took my bricks off of me. I had never experienced this kind of treatment before so had no idea what to do about it. ( I'd like to say I kicked their heads in but I didn't)

I went home with my mum for my dinner and thought that was it for the day but my mum took me back for more in the afternoon.

And of course the milk and the tiny toilets and chairs etc. but what about the IZAL bog roll (If we had to go for a poo we were only allowed three sheets.!!!)

I also have an abiding memory of very late winter a year later when we had an unexpected and very severe blizzard in March. I had gone to school in a little thin coat and shorts (We used to go to and from school on our own even at that early age!!) and as the snow came down I can remember being upset because I would have to go home in the cold , only to walk out side and my Mum was standing there with a nice thick coat and wellies. Snowballs at dawn anyone???

!jumping!

• Upvote 1
Ayup all,

My first day was at Collygate down the Meadows, my granny lived across the road on Wilford grove so I did a runner first chance I got and that set the tone for the remainder of my school life,

Can you remember the smell of them paper towels they used to have? We still have them now at work, so I get reminded of the old school days every day

Rog

Collygate was my first school too! must have been around '59, but I just lived around the corner at Wilford Crescent East - do remember the great Christmas Meal where you had to take a plate, bowl & cutlery for your grub smile.gif

Ashwell street School in Netherfield was my introduction to school life in 1950. I remember the headmistress asking me about my dad. He'd been re-called into the navy (He was a reservist after the 2nd world war) for the Korean war.

Never liked school, never saw the point. Anyway I suppose I must have learned something. Remember the "nit nurse" coming around every so often never could figure out what she was looking for.

We had one teacher, Miss, Mrs? Grey who went to America. Wasn't sure where America was then, I wonder how she did? Now I'm here myself.

Dave

Ayup 68fb,

I would be there in about 57/58, I can remember having to take a spoon,plate and cup for the christmas food, sticking plaster on them all with you name on, everybody took different food with them and it was shared out to all, funny how everyone else's grub was better than the stuff you had took

Rog

• 5 years later...

my 1st school was a wooden hut,where they later built "highpavement" on gainsford crescent,now a housing estate.mam took me 1st day and that was it,knew most of the other kids so not a trauma. was there at least 2 years i remember having a "minutes silence"when the King died and i remember the teachers names,mrs taylor,mrs garvis,miss blackbourne , headteacher was mrs Townsend,must have been happy days cos they are what you remember

Calverton Road Infants, Arnold!

Whitemoor infants - January 1954 when I turned 5. Teacher was Miss Maltby who retired at the end of the Summer term (nothing to do with me, honest!) Any names of kids? John Frearson (I think), Stephen Sheffield, Robert Starkey, Janice Gough, Janice Glasgow, Gail Brownlow...erm...

Then we moved to Long Eaton (Summer 1954) and I went to New Sawley, Mikado Road infants. Head teacher Miss Cowgill. Other teachers Miss Haynes, Miss Hayes (confusing eh?), Miss Dobbs (later Mrs Birch), Miss Woods and Mrs Sewter. Kids? I can remember most of them Nick Doughty, my best mate, John Anderson, Paul Forbes, Robert Lacy, Michael Rock, Philip Pounder, Barry Hutchinson, Robert Pechey, Elizabeth Adamson, Lynda Peel, Linda Swift (first kiss behind the outside toilets!), Marilyn Dilkes, Sandra Fogg, Mary Dee, Sandra Turner, Janet Hepworth...

Ashwell Street Infants, Netherfield ........ September 1954 til March 1958 when we moved to Arnold. Very few memories of early school days apart from when the Queen drove past, the nit nurse visits, having to stand up individually in class to recite the times tables, Janet and John books and running home at 3.30 to catch Watch with Mother on the telly. Oh just remembered, I was Angel Gabriel in the school Nativity, Christmas 1957 at St George's Church.

This maybe doesn't count as NOTTStalgia as my first school was the village school at Caythorpe in Lincolnshire (not the 'other' Caythorpe in Notts).

But I remember my first day as they made me take a bunch of flowers for the teacher - a Miss Picker, who had taught my mother at the same school over 35 years before.

The school was at the other end of the village street - about 5 - 10 minutes walk, and as someone else has said, there was nothing thought of a 5-year-old going there and back on his own.

Re the third of a pint bottle of milk freezing in cold weather, at the village school in Leadenham where I went when I was a little older, we had an old-fashioned iron stove in the classroom to provide heat, and the bottles used to be placed on that to thaw out the milk.

By the way, we did of course always have a straw to drink the milk with - poked through the top.

In the infants, aged 5, we weren't allowed ink - writing was done in pencil. Punishment was being made to stand in the corner. Another thing I remember is learning numbers/counting - the whole class in unison would count from one to one hundred.

Lizzie,

I forgot all those little pleasures. You did well to be Angel Gabriel, I'm afraid I never made it past being a Cloud or a Sheep; but they both looked the same from a distance, a Cloud with eyes!! That's me. Oh the dreaded "Nit Nurse", I'm afraid the way they spread through school, we were very rarely free of them! except for about two weeks with the "special" shampoo!. And I never got over being forced to drink the warm milk in the summer, I still can't bare the smell now, and Semolina with jam stirred in, gone cold, being forced to eat it Yuk. But some lovely memories as well, being a "Church School" we had the little walk round to Gedling Church for every celebration from Christmas; Harvest Festival, Mothers Day etc. When I come home visiting family if I have time, I always walk down the twitchel by the School and spend a few moments, being that little girl again. Aaaah if only!

• Upvote 2