Before infants I was sent to a little private school on Radford Blvd. It was at the junction of either Dunlop Ave or Johnson Rd. Today it would be called a pre school Playgroup. However it did me some good as I could read well before four. I can't remember the name of the place though. When I had to go to proper school, I attended Blue Bell Hill Infants, then Berridge Road Juniors due to my parents moving house.

Me too, I was at Berridge Road infants then up to the "big school" of the juniors. Its still there, and I suspect that not much has changed.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummm ...... just re-read the above post made by me and I don't understand what I've written, haha. What I should have said is 'If you were writing on a slate then that must have been pre WW1'. I'd l

During the war I lived with my grandparents in Cheltenham Street, Old Basford. In 1944 I went to the infants at Southwark Street School. I remember November 1945 like it was yesterday, sitting on the

That really tickled me Michael !!!!!

Interesting Katyjay - I wonder if your Miss Maltby at William Crane was the same as my Miss Maltby at Whitemoor a bit later? Or might they have been two (or more) elderly maiden sisters?

I went to Whitemoor and I can remember Miss Maltby and also Miss Widdowson, Mrs Barber, Miss/Mrs Healy/Ely and also the headmistress was Miss Bloom but if I recall she then retired and then we had a headmaster. Male teachers I remember are Mr Anderson, Mr Saunders and Mr Gregson

Another one for the Westdale wooden huts here , though I'm not sure why but I actually went to Plains Rd at the very beginning for a just a short while , until a place came up at Westdale .

I reckon my Mum must have forgotten to put my name down in time for Westdale.

Stupidly we had to walk by Westdale infants to get to Plains Rd and as a 5 year old , walking all the way up and down Westdale Lane (and Hazel Grove ?) plus the length of Marshall Hill Drive was quite a trek for my little skinny legs !

Infants school which was in Carlton shopping centre....now long defunked. Head master was 'Nobby'Green. wore glasses as thick as milk bottle bottoms, His eyes looked no larger than peas.

My first school was Carlton Central Primary School 1952-1958

I think Mr Lockwood was the headmaster. My first teacher was Miss Marshall a great young woman. I don't remember names of the other teachers. But a Mr Pugh springs to mind.

1958 to 1962 Chandos Street Boys school.

I HAVE FOND MEMORIES,of all my old teachers,even the ones that shouted and raved,funny that init.

most of my teachers i did like and respect but there were a few i hated and i mean hated i dont forgive easily if someone realy upsets me and that still gose i have got a very stuburn streak and if i felt i have been done wrong by that person will always know it i tell them to there face what i think and why not call them to others and be nice to there face and if i dont like someone there is always a good reason and 9 times out of 10 i have been proved right.. and i am sure most of us in our school lives know a really nasty teacher who had a vicious streak even if they were ok to you because you were reasobly behaved they always managed to find someone they disliked for what ever reason

david w is that you in tonights post in the bit on acmilan fouder

Beardall Street Infants in Hucknall. My first teacher was Mrs Clay and the head mistress was Mrs Hoyden. (Or something very similar)

My main memories are having a little nap in the afternoon with my head on folded arms on the desk, playing in the Wendy house, which was four sides and no roof, and dancing round the maypole on the mayday celebration. We never ever managed to unplait the maypole ribbons!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

#34 katyjay. This is remarkable. I too was in the school play The Pied Piper Of Hamlin - in the infant boys at Crane. And I too wore a brown paper rats head, scurrying on to the stage at the appropriate moment. Brother and sister taking the same role some years apart, talk about co-incidence! Needless to say I never trod the boards again.

• Upvote 1

During the war I lived with my grandparents in Cheltenham Street, Old Basford. In 1944 I went to the infants at Southwark Street School. I remember November 1945 like it was yesterday, sitting on the floor with the other kids, playing with toys, when the headmistress walked and told me that my dad had come to collect me. He was just back from India and I hadn't seen him for three years. I walked up the street holding the hand of what seemed a stranger. How's that for a memory.

• Upvote 5

I used to play the triangle in our school reggae band I just stood @ the back and ting

I was watching the Bermuda Philharmonic Orchestra,

and half way through the bloke on the triangle disappeared.

• Upvote 3

Yes he did, but he re-appeared in the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

• Upvote 2

Chanting the "Times table" was a daily task in my first school.

• Upvote 2

I recall my first day of writing in ink. I had been saving my pennies and had bought a small fountain pen. I filled it for the first time from the ink well in the desk and the bladdy thing leaked all over my hands. :/

• Upvote 1

I recall my first day of writing in ink. I had been saving my pennies and had bought a small fountain pen. I filled it for the first time from the ink well in the desk and the bladdy thing leaked all over my hands. :/

Bet it was an Osmeroid fountain pen! I'd never thought of that name since I was at school, your comment brought it straight back to the front of my memory bank!