Standhill Road Infants. Miss Clarke-Goddard ( didn't she have a dog that she used to take to school with her?) Miss Freestone (sp) was my first teacher .. I liked her that much that I refused to move up a class and kept going back to hers! Miss Moon was the second year teacher. I've got a vague recollection of writing on a slate in the first year ..... I could be wrong!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummm ...... just re-read the above post made by me and I don't understand what I've written, haha. What I should have said is 'If you were writing on a slate then that must have been pre WW1'. I'd l

During the war I lived with my grandparents in Cheltenham Street, Old Basford. In 1944 I went to the infants at Southwark Street School. I remember November 1945 like it was yesterday, sitting on the

That really tickled me Michael !!!!!

Ummm ...... just re-read the above post made by me and I don't understand what I've written, haha. What I should have said is 'If you were writing on a slate then that must have been pre WW1'. I'd like to blame predictive text on my iPad and maybe too much wine last night!

• Upvote 6

I have always said that my first school was Douglas on Ilkeston road in old Radford but it was not, I remember that all five year olds went to an infant school that was accessed from Ronald street then up by the side of the old Pearsons ice cream factory and YMCA before going on to Douglas, can't remember it's name for the life of me. My only memory of it now is being in the playground and looking through the window seeing the teacher doing something behind the blackboard (no not that) when we went back in after playtime she had hidden coloured pegs with numbers on in various places in the classroom, you guessed it ! I knew where some of them were. My first recollection of putting two and two together

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Just enjoyed reading this thread again from start to finish. So many good memories even if they weren't funny at the time. I'm glad the computer came along NS would not be possible without it.

• 3 months later...

I also went to st Paul's, Carlton Hill. I remember we had to form lines then march in to our class,had to hang your coat in the cloakroom,and it always felt damp when you put it on again,we had p.e on a lawn near to a cemetery (its still there they have made it into a sort of park)

St. Augustines catholic Carlton hill 1945 Mr burns head teacher Miss Hayes, Miss Trivett Miss Harbison. Mr pooler caretaker who sometimes with his wife cooked school dinners. I didn't have them me mam couldn't afford it. I wasn't a catholic, it was common practice in those days to go to the nearest school. the teachers were very strict indeed.

Gedling Priory Road 1953 they still had gaslamps on Priory Road,we lived on First Avenue.

My first school was Beardall Infants in Hucknall Notts in 1951............

I think a few Nottstalgians went to school at Beardall Street, Hucknall. Well now they can buy it............http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-49065484.html?premiumA=true

I went to Beardall Infants from 1951 - 1953........

1961 Greenwood Infants, top of Sneinton Boulevard, do not remember any teachers. 1963 Greenwood Juniors, bottom of the hill on the Boulevard. I lived on Baden Powell Road so it was about 25 yards walk to the main gate. Headmaster Mr Wells, Deputy Head Mr Tate. Miss Coulson teacher in 1st year and Mr Bentley in the 4th year. 1967 Mundella Grammar school, caught the number 8 to Trent Bridge on the Boulevard, free bus pass as well.

1948 - 1954 I went to Arno Vale. Still got my school reports from there, and some books which were made by the infant teacher for us to draw pictures and write in. When I first started we had to write on little slates...

My first school was Portland Infants. Miss Burlinson was the head teacher, or headmistress as they said in those days! I remember thinking how old she seemed but she alwaysseemed quite pleasant. My first teacher was Miss Moseley and she had wonderful dark brown wavy hair. She was so nice. I wanted to grow my hair longer like hers but my mum would not let me. I had to go and have it cut at a hairdressers on the left hand side as you went up Trowell Road. It was in the front room of a house. I hated going and hated having my hair cut. The dentist was much nicer! When I first voted at the age of 18 the polling station was at Portland Infant school. When I went in with my parents to vote I commented how small the school seemed!

My first school was St.Mary's on Derby Rd. What a terrible place, a citadel of cruelty,frustrated nuns,spinster teachers and claustrophobic Catholic claptrap.. And "touchers". Read some Hilaire Belloc and won fiver!! Only lasted til' 1969. Then rocked up to Bowers Avenue and Herr Shullman..an ex sobibor bullwhip jockey.. Evil in moccasins!! Lost myself in Nillson and Meadow Lark Lemon.