The scrap place nearest to the Meadows was Tricketts. I remember Mam putting me a bundle of rags together when I was little. I queued up with a line of housewives to weigh in my bundle. There were respectful murmurs of 'Look, all wools!' and I got 1/6d.

A bloomin` fortune to me around 1950 or so!

My cousin worked there and used to say that half the bundles were full of fleas.

Mine wasn`t.

I remember the name but thought they were on Meadow Lane? that said the one I was thinking of was later so maybe moved? near the Robert Peel pub as I recall? I know there was a scrap yard on Meadow Lane 1970's, near the railway bridges and houses sneinton end, not sure if true but when such cleared for redevelopment rumour was a WW2 bomb found in the scrap/waste?

The scrap place nearest to the Meadows was Tricketts. I remember Mam putting me a bundle of rags together when I was little. I queued up with a line of housewives to weigh in my bundle. There were respectful murmurs of 'Look, all wools!' and I got 1/6d.

I remember as a kid in the early fifties a rag man offering £1 for a full carrier bag of woollens...LOT of money in those days,but there was just no wool being processed at the time.

Garments were undone and re knitted over and over.

There used to be a place in the Meadows where you could get money for old clothes. It was off Kirkwhite st, possibly Bruce Grove. Meadow Lane scrapyard was opposite the road that takes you over Lady Bay bridge. Trickets was on Trent lane back of the Earl Manvers Pub.

Just a bit of useless information re: post 24 If I remember right Mr Spurgeon was the first person in Nottingham to have the all new Ford Capri, a 1600L in powder blue, bought it to our garage for us to give it the once over, must have been 1969

Rog

Anyone got stories about the rag and bone men?

The Grandad always called the rag & bone that came around Radford when i was a kid punch green ? Could have been his name ?

There was also a bloke that turned up on a bike with a grind stone attached to the back wheel which he would sharpen your knifes .

can remember a knife grinder thus in new basford, my capri must have been similar? (H reg) think XL but by time I got it much modifed, alloy wider wheels (rare then) and 3ltr "bulge" bonnet, all bright yellow, really looked the part, till you drove it! only a 1300

thumbsdown

the bear was owned by jackie poundall and kept on his land in bakersfield .

in the 50s we kids from netherfield used to get an old pram from one of the neibours fill it with old rags and ofcourse the woolens would be kept seperate as these were worth more.we would then walk up the old colwick rd to manverse st to trickets and wiegh them in pram as well. tricketts was were the manverse community centre now is then off down trent lane to pleasure park stopping at monkey park on the way this was were virgin medea offices now is.once we got to pleasure park we would spend the money we had got from trickets on food and drink and rides on the swing boats, chairaplanes slot machines and roundabouts play in the big sand pits and swim in the fenced of part of the river it always seemed to be hot on these days. they also played all the latest records over the loud speeker system oh happy days.

we would always save 3d for each of us to come back to netherfield on the bus it seemed to be such a long way there and back in them days even on the bus ,so we would all get home exausted after our day out. but we had had a great day out and it had not cost our parents a penny and they and the folk around us got rid of some of the clutter from there homes so its not a new thing to recycle old clothing.

babs

Great Story Babs.

Can you remember records of the day?

Yep Mick

Cathys Clown by the Everlies was one I remember well

She wears red feathers

At the hop and all the latest records of the day as well as war time songs that would be played in between for all the older people that were there with kids or grand kids .

I think the last time I was down there was about 1964.

It was Denshaw, right next door to the railway Station at Bulwell Market....You have just reminded me, I had my first wedding reception in the Horse Shoe after marrying in St.Mary's (The big church on the hill towards Highbury Vale)..As the marriage was a disaster I am now off to forget it again.... !inthebin!

I remember the Elwiss pub was'nt it named after the landlords wife or something ? we didnt live far from it and he did have a caged bear

I don't know if Karls mum ran The Elwes Arms Den, but she certainly ran the Engine house (Steam Engine) down in Thorneywood gardens, for some years.