Aspire the UK’s tallest freestanding sculpture

Nottingham's skyline has been transformed with the installation of the final section of Aspire, Britain's tallest free standing public work of art.

The Aspire tower at The University of Nottingham stands 60 metres tall — higher than the Angel of the North and taller than Nelson's Column and the Statue of Liberty. But what you actually see is just 16 per cent of the entire 850 tonne structure. Another 84 per cent is buried under ground to give Aspire its strength and support.

At the launch the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sir Colin Campbell, said: "This is a unique addition to the city's skyline and it's intended not just to celebrate the university but to capture the aspirations of Nottingham city itself. The design is very strong, elegant and graceful, and it gives an indication of where this university is going in the future.

"Aspire is a gift to the university from a benefactor who believes in the university, believes in education and has a long-standing interest in art.

"It represents the most important statement we make as a university — to aspire."

The cost of design, manufacture and installation of Aspire which amounts to £800,000 has been funded through the great generosity of a philanthropist who prefers to remain anonymous - but who wished to create an emblem which will make people think about their ambitions and where they aim to go in life.

The sculpture was named following a competition amongst The University of Nottingham's 6,500 staff and 36,000 students.

Aspire was designed by Ken Shuttleworth's world-renowned Make Architects Aspire. It is now the centrepiece of The University of Nottingham's Jubilee Campus which is breathing new life into a former industrial site in inner Nottingham.

Ken Shuttleworth said: "Aspire is symbolic of innovation and ambition - a fusion of art, architecture and engineering.

"It's a phenomenal feat of engineering, and it's an incredibly proud moment for us at Make to see this coming to fruition."

The delicate structure has been engineered for maximum strength and resilience, and is formed from hollow section steel tubes measuring 140mm in diameter. The lattice design efficiently transfers the considerable loads down to the ground while the aperture at the top is angled at 60 degrees to the north in order to minimise wind loads.

To harmonise with the terracotta-tiled cladding of the newly constructed Amenities Building and International House on Jubilee Campus Aspire has been painted red, subtly changing and lightening in tone as the structure rises.

The Aspire website has already attracted well over a thousand visitors.

For more information go to http://aspire.nottingham.ac.uk/

27-07-08007.jpg

The only thing missing is the crane on the top....It's certainly 'making me think of my ambitions and where I aim to go in life'............Oh yes.

You've got to be kidding?Tell me it isn't finished yet?What am I missing?I must be a philistine.

"Ken Shuttleworth said: "Aspire is symbolic of innovation and ambition - a fusion of art, architecture and engineering."

Hoohoo hoohoo.ooh my aching sides!

It's no wonder the generous benefactor wishes to remain anonymous,it's so he doesn't have to face the public ridicule and humiliation that will surely follow!

800k well spent there mate! LOL

84 per cent is buried under ground !!!

Wimpeys put it up, and they buried the wrong bit?

Or perhaps they should just have buried the lot?

Also found this picture of a new super piece of modern sculpture recently opened to rapturous acclamation from art connoisseurs all over Bestwood and Top Valley.

It is entitled 'Two Be Fours And A Bit Of String'

The structure stands an impressive five feet tall,with a whopping three thousand feet buried below ground.

It's architect Ken Shuttlecock said,"It is designed to inspire a natural element to the surrounding area,the string bit we haven't yet made our minds up about,but it does add to the overall effect of the structure don't you think?"

The total cost of the project has been One million pounds.The structural elements encompassing a total of thirty six pounds sourced from local resoursces (the allotments behind Aldi)The rest of the funds were consumed at public houses in the nearby areas during the planning stages of the project.

The official website has now attracted in excess of four visitors.

post-1269-1217341551_thumb.jpg