It's a great shame that the "so called planners" removed almost everything that they thought grubby and old fashioned. I'll bet they would be kicking themselves now. Drury Hill and the Bath Street wash-house would have been a great tourist attraction if kept and "refurbed" in some way. The council said it was too expensive to do..but they just wanted it gone. I know we have to have progress but there is a limit to what should be pulled down and destroyed without proper consideration.

My mum used the wash house..and trundled the damp washing home to hang on the line, or in front of the fire. and used the Vic baths for bathing as we had no running hot water, had an outside toilet, no bathroom and a coal fire in the back room. We kids swam nearly every day at the Vic Baths..so were able to be clean most if the time.

We were overjoyed when dad had a gas fire installed in the front room.Magic!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent some time on Victoria Park with my granddaughter yesterday, those 30 old terraced houses over looking the park “The Promenade’ look fantastic painted in the different colours & doors & n

It's a great shame that the "so called planners" removed almost everything that they thought grubby and old fashioned. I'll bet they would be kicking themselves now. Drury Hill and the Bath Street was

I was born in Dennet St. Moved to Wilford after the war 1945. Became very ill with TB. Spent many yrs in City hospital. Left there in 1952 .Went to a special school in Sussex. Summer holidays were s

Does anyone know where exactly was Ford Street St. Mary? Running between st. Ann's well road and Plantagenet street?

It was actually between St Ann's Well Road and Turner Street, crossing Plantagenet Street.

ford-2.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I was born in Dennet St. Moved to Wilford after the war 1945. Became very ill with TB. Spent many yrs in City hospital. Left there in 1952 .Went to a special school in Sussex. Summer holidays were spent with my Gran ( Florrie Morris ) in Ford St Mary. Left there in 1956. Never went back to live there. In the holidays I spent most of my time walking around Nottm, I still remember the names of lots of streets. Even though I am 74 yrs old, I'm still a Nottingham lad at heart !!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Unfortunately the Bath Street Flats were used for people after spending time in Mapperley and they had very little support after things like intensive ECT treatment - so it wasnt the best place for them. Sometimes it meant people were there who were in a very bad place both mentally and physically hopefully that's not the case anymore - I like to think we have moved on....

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Victoria Baths,i often visited of an evening with Bob who drove for Dennis & Roberts to the wrestling bouts: Bad Boy Bobby Barnes,Kendo,Adrian Streets,Pat Roach,Mick McManus were great entertainment.. the brolly and handbag ladies got very involved,World of Sport filmed once,Les Kellet was a favourite.. as his bouts looked less orchestrated.

Bob would take me for saveloy's and chips afterwards at Greyfriars- different times then.

• 11 months later...

Back in the Seventies, I was a visiting officer for what was then the DHSS.  I dealt with benefit claims and National Insurance.

On occasion, I had to visit claimants in Victoria Buildings.  At that time, they housed a lot of less fortunate people, including people who had lived on the streets, prior to being put in there.
The flats were tiny and there were no lifts, just lots of stairs.  It was quite scary visiting there, both the building and a lot of the tenants, many of whom had drug and alcohol problems.

A few years later, they were 'done up' and marketed as bijou city residences.

Wish I had been such a keen photographer back then as I am now.  I also covered the Meadows, as it was being demolished and the ugly 'new' houses being built.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

As a lad that lived in st Anne's, I even went to the nursery at the top of bath st park ( not by my self ) and growing up used to play on the park. As I remember, park view flats, as it is now, was the old workhouses. If it was an asylum, it would have been a long time before my time.

• 4 years later...

Spent some time on Victoria Park with my granddaughter yesterday, those 30 old terraced houses over looking the park “The Promenade’ look fantastic painted in the different colours & doors & now G2 listed, some historical history here:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1270437

EnkiCeFXYAYbCT-?format=jpg&name=medium

EnkjIEVWEAMcZkZ.jpg

• Like 5

There is a curious arrangement of bricked up windows, all appear to be on the dividing wall between two properties. Many houses of that period had them to avoid the  window tax but somehow I doubt that was the case, a design feature?

Most are student flats now

When doing family genealogy, about 2007, struck me this might be where the Jobsworth's resided? 1890-1910

Police Officers, Lace factory supervisors etc made 'good'..

Never got round to researching the occupation's of the resident's..

23 hours ago, HSR said:

Never got round to researching the occupation's of the resident

I will look into this, Grandads first prosection, was 1892 aged seven for pitch & toss.

Lived in the area of the bus station off Manvers St, a world away from.the Promenade!

As well as the three swiming baths and tthe washouse there was also about 6 public baths. 

Just as a point of interest.. a lad I was at HP with in the 1960s was the son of the manager of Vic Baths at that time.  Name of Fearn.  Rather unsurprisingly, the lad was a very good swimmer.