SAVED: VICTORIA LEISURE CENTRE'S HISTORIC TOWER

Not many of you will remember the brilliant band leader,Cyril Stapleton(from the 40`s and 50`s) who attended there. As I have said before Nottingham has produced some pretty brilliant folk, counterbalanced I suppose by the likes of our present clown, Jon Collins!

That's a name from the past = Cyril Stapleton. I recall my mum saying that she went to school with him - and how he had become famous through his music.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent some time on Victoria Park with my granddaughter yesterday, those 30 old terraced houses over looking the park “The Promenade’ look fantastic painted in the different colours & doors & n

It's a great shame that the "so called planners" removed almost everything that they thought grubby and old fashioned. I'll bet they would be kicking themselves now. Drury Hill and the Bath Street was

I was born in Dennet St. Moved to Wilford after the war 1945. Became very ill with TB. Spent many yrs in City hospital. Left there in 1952 .Went to a special school in Sussex. Summer holidays were s

Hello everyone, wow! some great info on park view court and victoria park rest gardens, across the road, as they are now called. (on Bath street in nottingham)

me and my boyfriend live in Park View Court!,lol ^_^

I thought i'd come on here and check to see if anyone knew the history of this place and the rest gardens across the road, lol

our friend said, she thought that this place was an old asylum? but wasnt sure? this building is gothicy to say the least, but its nice and bright in this place now, as i asked my dad about this place, and he said.. years ago when he did furniture removals.. he came to park view court, and it was a dark and dismall place with no lift.. but now its got a lift and is alot better..

but i still dont know what this place was? i'd like to find out though.

so it's a possible asylum? oooh spooky.

Does anyone have links to that site you were on about, picture the past :) thanks. would love to see more on this place.

I'm not insane honest! lol :)

we visited Bendigo yesterday, he was a 1800's bare-knuckle fighter, named William 'Bendigo' Thompson, the lion is called Bendigo. :)

i looked him up on google and found out more about him.. one of nottingham's greats. :D

I knew someone would have posted about bath street on here, as this is a great site. thanks everyone.

still would like to know more though, if anyones got anymore info, thanks. :)

In 1903 an ancestor of mine died at 61 Victoria Buildings, Bath St. She was pretty poor, so don't know if this building was a workhouse? Is this the same building as Park View Court?

In 1903 an ancestor of mine died at 61 Victoria Buildings, Bath St. She was pretty poor, so don't know if this building was a workhouse? Is this the same building as Park View Court?

Its all on page 1 KTJ.

Found it H.G. They were council flats!

Nottinghamshire Heritage Gateway | Research Pathways | Places ...A few examples of nineteenth century municipal housing survive, including Park View Flats, Bath Street, and Minitts Folly.

I assume that this is the Victorian block opposite the Park.

Have they done it up again?

Incidentaly on the Park on Bath street wasnt there a child murder in the 60's?

After that Bath Street 'Nick' was built.

I believe its now Lymms?

Lymns have been there (their show rooms and car pool,that is)at the cornerof RobinHood St.and Handl St for a lot longer than my life. Their Coffin making workshop was opposite the old Salvation army Hostel on Aberdeen St. I remember the place because the doors were always open,and the smell of the various types of timber being sawn and worked always filled the air. The Noddy shop you are thinking of,Mick was on the opposite corner at the point end of Victoria park. I seem to remember one of the chemistry teachers at my old school had a flat above Lymns Showroom(but I may be going out on a lymn on this)(put in especially for Limey)

Its no longer a Nick, I thought Lymms were using it now?

Regarding the flats I could tell you a chillig tale about one flat but I wont, it could be yours?

Its no longer a Nick, I thought Lymms were using it now?

Regarding the flats I could tell you a chillig tale about one flat but I wont, it could be yours?

Its many a year since I visited the area,but when I did,Lymns were on one corner of Robin Hood st. and the Noddy shop on the other,adjacent to the park. Lymns had a fleet of Rolls Cannardlies displayed in their showroom windows. (the one and only time the likes of most Nottingham people ever got to travel in one!

For which Stan is awarded the obligatory GROAN! rotfl.gif

yes, these flats are now called Park View Court. all nice & bright. :)

Yesterday i did a search on picture the past.org, and found some great old photos of this place from 1976... and the modenisation of the place, also done at the time.

some of these flats even had ranges in the living rooms, dated 1976 again.

I dont mind if there are spirits/ghosts in these flats, as banishing them would be no problem, lol :)

please tell us your chilling tale, i dont mind at all.

I know these flats are old, pre 1970s.

as the company's website shows you a picture of the date, Park View Court's website

this place was built in 1876, so i've no idea what it was back then? maybe someones gothic mansion? :Vampire: lol

But on a more serious note, please do tell us about the chilling tales, thanks.

we're on the second floor over looking the park's pathway between the park & rest garden.

About this chilling tale.. do you mean the chilly toilet? thats like being outside? lol

now that is a chilling tale, rofl

do go on, :)

I've no idea when the place was brightened up?, as I don't know much about this place, just what it said on picture the past's website, comments next to the photos that were taken in 1976.

And what people have put on here.

Would be interesting to find more out about this place, as I like finding out the history of places.

so I'm thinking of emailing the care-taker for here. :)

BF said he might know? so I'll do that tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to know more about the history of park view court, if anyone knows anything :)

as i like finding out about old buildings. cheers.

• 1 month later...

The final day for Victoria Baths today then. Sad to see it go. Back in the 1960s' I was sent there as a kid by the NHS (The old Children's Hospital) every Thursday morning to swim and build the strength up in two previously broken legs. I remember many a happy hour swimming in the Exhibition Pool with the poolside changing cubicles. Afterwards it was always on to the old Victoria Market for a treat of a comic or two and to occasionally choose a Matchbox model car. I can still smell the fresh fish on the market. Nottingham was lovely in those days!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8598359.stm

Victorian baths in Nottingham open for last day

A Victorian baths in Nottingham is to close its doors later despite a campaign to keep it open.

Victoria Leisure Centre in Sneinton, which dates to 1896, opened for the last time on Thursday. It is being replaced with a £9m sports complex.

Protesters had urged the city council to refurbish the original building and gathered a 600-signature petition to oppose the closure.

The council said a new centre would regenerate the area.

The clock tower will remain, with a six-lane pool, new café and fitness facilities due to be completed by 2012.

So Nottingham will eventually become a super modern shiny town with lots of old clocktowers sticking up out of it to show that it used to have a history.....seems thats how its heading.

• 2 years later...

hurray the vicci baths were saved with alot of help from public support,nice and new now,as kids we did go there with school,the smaller pool was the ladies,next the oval,and the biggest the exhibition,also used public bath tubs for once a week scrub,and ma used to go to the wash house that joined the buildings,always loads of boiling water and the whites really were whites with all that scrubbing and boiling

• 2 months later...

HI hum

The wash house only went a couple of times with my mum but was amazed how many women used to be there washing. I always think its a shame when places like this are removed in the name of progress its our history just like Dury Hill was but who are we to tell the planners what to do? Soon there will be nothing left of the Nottingham we all know and love. Don't get me wrong I know sometimes things can't be saved. It's amazing how other places can save their old buildings though.

Mary1947

Hi,The Victoria Baths were our regular swimming destination,unless it was summer and warm,then it was all Saturday at Carrington Lido,I lived out of town as we got older ,but still had relations living at Vicarage St ,Magor St ,Leicester St, and the one that ran up Robin Hood Walk?My Aunt always took her washing to the wash house,i remember all the steam and heat in there,After swimming we would spend the rest of the day visiting all of these aunts and mamar,walking of course,no luxury of a car.I used to love walking round Snienton market and a run around in the park opposite the baths,Great Saturdays.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Victoria Baths/Leisure Centre was rebuilt and modernised a few years ago, but the bit round the corner on Bath Street - next to Victoria Buildings/Park View Flats - is now also being demolished. I happened to go past there a few days ago.

The flats are on the right

sneint1.jpg

And again. The people who live at the front of the building probably don't get much daylight.

sneint3.jpg

From the end of Handel Street

sneint2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In the early 50's, forsaking Empress ABC Minors Saturday morning pics, I used to go with my best friend and his dad to Victoria Baths where he tried to teach us to swim, succeeding with my mate but failing miserably with me !

Afterwards we would walk home through Victoria Park, cut through Robin Hood Terrace onto Lamartine Street then down onto St Anns Well Road then call in to a sweet shop at the bottom end of Northumberland St for a couple of Black Jacks and Fruit Salad. Happy Days !! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Victoria Baths/Leisure Centre was rebuilt and modernised a few years ago, but the bit round the corner on Bath Street - next to Victoria Buildings/Park View Flats - is now also being demolished. I happened to go past there a few days ago.

The flats are on the right

Those flats are tiny, a toilet, a bathroom, a kitchen, and then the bedroom (or bed sitting room).

I was in my friends yesterday.

• 8 months later...

The "Skool" referred to is the Old Ragged School set up in the 1800s,I believe, to help educate the really poor people of the area.

The Bath Street Flats, when I was a child, were residential.

As kids we were always told that mad, old people lived there.

I went to Victoria Primary school ( next door) as did my younger sister and 4 younger brothers. Headmistress..the marvellous Miss Hollinshead.

We all learned to swim at the Viccy Baths..as did our father. The Oval Pool was wonderful and quite unique.

And yes the big pool was called The Exhibition Pool.

We lived on Lamartine Street...on maps of the Late 1800s early 1900s we were actually on East Lamartine Street..the lower end nearer tonRobin Hood Street.

The asylum, as previously mentioned

, was on or near where King Edward Park is now.

Daykeyne Street was where the Oliver Hind club and Boys boxing club was.

Does anyone know wher exactly was Ford Street St. Mary? Running between st. Ann's well road and Plantagenet street?

• Upvote 1