Anyone remember the names of the shops around the junction of Goodhead St and Wilford Rd?

PictureThePast claims to have a picture of that junction, although there's some debate in my family about whether they've got the right location

Of course, if anyone has a different picture of that junction then that could put-to-rest all the arguments :-)

Tony

On the corner of Wilford rd/Goodhead st was a newsagents called Doyles. You can see a picture of it in a book called the Nottingham Meadows in the 70's by Bernard and Pauline Heathcote. ISBN 0 946245 96 7

Den.

Iv'e visited http://www.theoldmeadows.co.uk/ several times before but many of its internal links currently seem to be broken. I now get 'page not found 404' errors, red crosses instead of pictures, and sometimes even a blank page (these were mostly under 'your meadows')

Tony

• 2 years later...

On the corner of Wilford rd/Goodhead st was a newsagents called Doyles. You can see a picture of it in a book called the Nottingham Meadows in the 70's by Bernard and Pauline Heathcote. ISBN 0 946245 96 7

Den.

If you looked at Goodhead St from the other side of Wilford Road, newsagent was on the left corner of Goodhead St. On the other corner there was a shop that sold second hand bits and bobs, you know, small cupboards, vases, bedside tables (although there was no room for a bedside table in our house!!)and other bits and pieces. What the name of the shop was, I wouldn't know if you told me today...

I do remember buying a set of hankies for me mam from there on her birthday, (they weren't 2nd hand, at least I don't think so!!). I must have been about six at the time, I can't rember how much I paid for them but it wouldn't have been more than thre'pence (just over 1p, post decimalisation)!!!

BTW, I lived at 2 Chester Terrace, opposite at No 1 lived the Kellehers (Irishman with his wife and three daughters), lovely folk...

Hi Eileen, My grandparents used to go to the British Legion club on Queens drive with a Mr and Mrs Goodall, wonder if they were your grand parents?

Rog

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Eileen, Grand parents used to live on Wilford grove (above and the back of the little Co Op) we lived on Bathley street Arkwright street side of Bunbury street, when I were a little kid the legion always had a Christmas party and a trip to the Theater Royal to see the panto for all the kids and grandkids of the legion members

Rog

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you looked at Goodhead St from the other side of Wilford Road, newsagent was on the left corner of Goodhead St. On the other corner there was a shop that sold second hand bits and bobs, you know, small cupboards, vases, bedside tables (although there was no room for a bedside table in our house!!)and other bits and pieces. What the name of the shop was, I wouldn't know if you told me today...

Was it either Marsdens or Brairsfords? Not sure about the spelling of the second as someone suggested it to me in a conversation

Tony

• 1 month later...

but its nice when old topics get revived like old frienships mick because new members get to add there comments and stories because some times with a great ste like this mick there is so much for new members and serches to find they dont bother or give up, as you know yourself from just being away for a few days holiday always a lot to catch up on you sometimes miss the bits that you would have liked to read or have commented on.

• 4 years later...

Johnny white looked after my dad on his first day at senior school stopping everyone from frog bumping him on his first day my dad's name is Roy fox his mum and dad  ( my grandparents ) was Edna and Albert Fox they had 6 kids Brenda, Roy (my dad ) Barbara, Janet, Edna and Brian. Grandad worked at Clifton pit. Roy fox married an Italian lady named Tina  (my mum ) and we lived at 5 Chester terrace we left there in Feb 1972. Oh and my dad grew up at 54 goodhead street x

• 3 months later...

We lived on Pegg Street then moved to Rupert Street, but I seem to remember a Smithy, that looked after the shire horses, on the left-hand side of Goodhead Street, just before Wilford road. Can anyone else remember this (it is going back rather a long way!).

Also, my parents, Jim and Milly Saunders, were members of the British Legion and used to spend time there, as well as Dad's brother, Fred, who had a lovely singing voice, and would often perform.

4 hours ago, bosworth said:

We lived on Pegg Street then moved to Rupert Street, but I seem to remember a Smithy, that looked after the shire horses, on the left-hand side of Goodhead Street, just before Wilford road. Can anyone else remember this (it is going back rather a long way!).

Looking at an old Trade Directory, around 1920 there was a George Horton, Blacksmith, at 10 Goodhead Street.  That fits as being just before Wilford Road.

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2010 at 10:19 PM, markad said:

I do remember buying a set of hankies for me mam from there on her birthday, (they weren't 2nd hand, at least I don't think so!!). I must have been about six at the time, I can't rember how much I paid for them but it wouldn't have been more than thre'pence (just over 1p, post decimalisation)!!!

BTW, I lived at 2 Chester Terrace, opposite at No 1 lived the Kellehers (Irishman with his wife and three daughters), lovely folk...

This bought a lovely smile to my face. I am the youngest daughter of Stephen (sweetest Irishman ever)and Charlotte Kelleher.  My mum is now 97. She has very fond memories of 1 Chester Terrace. is this Mrs Duncans son?

• Like 1

Tresa, markad has not been back on in nearly 7 years. You could try doing a p.m and see if he replies. Click on his name and his profile will come up and you will see you can message him. His last name is Duncan as you suspected.

• 2 months later...

Hi all. I'm just tracing a part of my family tree and have found out that my great grand father was a greengrocer living at 14 Goodhead street in1901

Does anyone have any info on Goodhead street and if there was a greengrocers shop or if it was just houses. Any one with any photos or further information?

His name was Richard Haslam and he's listed as a businessman, so would presume it was his own shop.

Would love to know how the old meadows was set out.

Appears to have been a house with living accomodation .

This from an advert from Nov 1909 in the Post .

6/l1 CLEAR.—House and Shop, 14. Goodhead-street. , few yards from Wllford-road; good living accommodation.

• 1 year later...