Well, it turns out that aerial photographic surveys of the city have taken place on a regular basis. Some of these (e.g. British Geological Survey) are not commerically available.

However, English Heritage holds a vast number of aerial photographs from between about 1940 to about 2000. Many of these are direct overhead but some are "oblique" (i.e. from an angle).

These can be puchased from: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/.../ConWebDoc.4510 if you have a map grid reference

Tony

• 1 year later...

The cricket ground looks great with all it's quirky stands, I could never understand why the County Council were allowed to put that poxy ugly office block in the corner, well I do!! At one time I believe it was used by the County Council Architects, they offered me a job there in the 70's, as a cricket fan, I couldn't work out how I'd ever do any work. It's a pity that the scoreboard wasn't made quite a bit wider and higher, wasn't it supposed to have been the most advanced electronic cricket scoreboard in the world when it was first built.

Without looking it up, whatever happened to Parrs Tree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

That'a a very recent photo, so it wasn't taken during construction of the line. I don't believe NET have any service vehicles which look like that.

I suspect that the explanation might be that the drone (?) took several exposures which were then stitched together - although I admit I can't see another join anywhere.

Thanks RR, I’ve spent ages ploughing through 400 aerial photos on the link you posted in July 2016.  So interesting although there were quite a few I couldn’t place.   

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

That'a a very recent photo, so it wasn't taken during construction of the line. I don't believe NET have any service vehicles which look like that.

I suspect that the explanation might be that the drone (?) took several exposures which were then stitched together - although I admit I can't see another join anywhere.

Yes, looking again it is definitely photoshopped - see enlargement below. Most of the tram has been brushed out for some reason and the track has been modified too - why, I can't imagine!

fddfdfdfdfd.jpg