nt195.jpg

This old sixties picture jogged a memory...long time since I saw a chock under the front wheel of a bus.I remember as a kid the buses from Cinderhill way on Hanley Street Terminus used to use these

Was it 'cause the handbrakes were unreliable?...Or some old Health & Safety rule?

Paul.

It was the former (I think) because they didn't have air brakes to hold that great weight (if the driver was in the cab he could put his foot on the brakes)

Ayup Poohbear,

I remember them chocks being put under the wheels of the old trolly buses outside the town hall in Bulwell,thanks for the memory

Rog

Another unrelated memory from the ad on the bus. When that picture was taken I was probably working at a Crawfords depot in the railway yard on Wilford St.

The yard was full of dozens of those British Rail electric three wheel delivery vehicles...remember them? Can't remember the vehicle make. Funny looking things with articulated trailer.

Paul.

They were petrol driven ,Poobear. I remember when the old horse drawn wagons were replaced by them. The railways had the yards all along the canal and across wilford Rd. to where the horses were stabled. Huge beasts they were!

Seems to me the perfect design for working in small cluttered areas such as railway yards.

I bet they turned on a sixpence.

I would think that the only complaints about them could come from hedgehogs?

There y`go. Learn something new everyday!

The railways used a wide range of two and four wheeled, one and two horse, delivery vehicles. Technically a cart has two wheels and a waggon has four (road waggons have two Gs in their name, railway wagons have only one).

So the horses pulled`waggons'

Prior to the Scarab was the Scammel mechanical horse in service to the 60`s.

• 7 years later...

Found it.....

scarab2.jpg

BUMP. The above vehicle I remember,when i was a Van lad on leaving school in 1960,we didnt have any at Midland Station parcels depot,but the one i recall was at Victoria station and was possibly the last one used for parcels,

I even recall the distinctive driver who was a very shall we say 'Wide chap' name of 'Vic' quite appropriatly i think.