• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean sure Bulwell is bad, but you act like all of the teenagers are the same and all of  the people are the same. Okay, yes there are a lot of teenagers who smoke or do drugs and are ignorant to the

Nobody had gone on it since 2013,,and i only noticed it the other day,when it was used again,or i would have complained before,,,just don't think its right for all the decent folk that live or come fr

Sad that,,could have been anywhere,, don't think we need Bulwell on here called Scum city" Admin could we change it please,,?

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Why can Bulwell do so well when Sneinton has disappeared?

It's smack in the middle of everything,plenty of passing trade.Sneinton is now in the middle of a derelict area with no other reason for folks to walk through...ie banks,building societies,other retailers.(at least very few) And Yellow hatted bastards crawling out the woodwork if you dare to park anywhere near.

I think that just about knocks the nail on the head. It's the parking thing, look how many shops have closed in Carlton Square (Or laid staff off) now you have to pay to park there , even for a minute or two!!

They brought in parking charges in the centre of Arnold (Gedling Borough Council) but they've had to allow two hours free parking back again due I believe to falling trade and pressure from traders and locals.

They can't see it can they?...Allow supermarkets to build with giant free car parks and then wonder why the high streets and markets are dying. This is the age of the car like it or not...planning pedestrianised areas with pretty waste bins and trees is not what the public want.The days of Mum struggling with heavy shopping for miles are gone.Todays young people aren't prepared to do it.

Shirebrook council have allowed a giant Tesco store to be built on the edge of the town...even demolishing council houses and selling them a park to give them a car park.A councillor there told me folks will shop at Tesco then stroll through to the market and shops which will be unaffected....RUBBISH!...They'll park as near to the supermarket door as they can get...then come out to their cars and drive home....put money on it.The butchers,chemists,market traders, and fruit and veg. had better start to look elsewhere.

I think similar certainly happened in Arnold when they built the Sainsbury's store at Daybrook. It's situation on the old Home Brewery site is reasonably close to Arnold's shopping centre but crucially not in it. People can park there and as stated above, not only buy their groceries there but also avoid having to visit other butchers, chemists, the market, greengrocers, bakers etc. They also sell clothing and electrical goods like most other large supermarkets. People park at Sainsbury's car park and in my opinion don't venture into Arnold itself.

I used to drive into Arnold once a week and do my banking, visit Boots, the greengrocers and bakers, go on the market etc. I seldom ever bother going there now - not because I don't want to support the local traders but because they have become so run down in the face of bullying competition. How many are like me? I'll not even start on Arnold ASDA who have been trying to take over the land at the top half of the town since they arrived there.

• Upvote 1

We were in Lincoln yesterday.

No trouble finding on street parking close to the shops.

Just off Sincil Bank. Not a good area now! Another story?

Last week on the Wirral @Hoylake, a nice little high street, with a free car park at the back of the shops.

A very busy place.

When Sainsbury's Arnold was built they provided pretty pavements etc...the idea being that folks would stroll through to Arnold.Surprise Surprise...they don't.It was better for the town when they had the Wilkos site.

Things were better when they all sold just food,now they're clouting every other business with their greed.Tescos are doing funerals now...what's next...abortion clinics?

Don't know about small shops forced to close, it's a wonder Sainsbury's near castle marina is still open, nipped in last night as passing on way to white hart for a few bits fancied one of those reggee reggee curries £3.80 (£2 at Asda) A Kingsmill loaf £1.25 (80p) own brand washup liquid 80p (35p) walked out with nothing shouting robbing barstewards etc!

I remember the theory re the pavements and 'joining up that end of town' but as you say, it was never going to work. People can't be bothered even to walk that short distance when it's mostly already under one roof. I miss that old Sainsbury's store, it was in the right place, next to the other businesses and not too large.

Arnold shopping centre has been left with something of a north/south divide. There's little going off at the former apart from ASDA. It's the same in the evening when most of the trade gravitates towards the bottom end of the town where the Wetherspoons pub is. Meanwhile two pubs have closed down and another demolished at the other side of the town centre. Used to be a nice and very popular place, it's suffering now like so many others, and nobody seems prepared or interested in doing anything about it. They may as well just let Tesco et al. just take over everywhere...