• 1 month later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean sure Bulwell is bad, but you act like all of the teenagers are the same and all of  the people are the same. Okay, yes there are a lot of teenagers who smoke or do drugs and are ignorant to the

Nobody had gone on it since 2013,,and i only noticed it the other day,when it was used again,or i would have complained before,,,just don't think its right for all the decent folk that live or come fr

Sad that,,could have been anywhere,, don't think we need Bulwell on here called Scum city" Admin could we change it please,,?

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

5058456010_b1bb4eabb4_z.jpgNear Bulwell Market 2011.

Entrance to this arcade is in Bulwell Market also off Commercial Road.

This has got me puzzled. It's not all new building in half-timbered style is it? I worked in Bulwell from 1966 to 1971 and lived there from 1980 to 1997 and I don't remember that area at all. Admittedly in the latter period I never went round there at all, but going back to the late 1960s/early 1970s I thought it was Duke Street just there - and although I may be wrong, I don't remember any buildings like that.

In the days before the new road was built across there (Bulwell High Road is it?), as I remember it, going down Commercial Road towards the Market you went past the post office on the corner on the left, then if you didn't want to continue on down what was nicknamed Star Lane to the Market you turned left along Robinson's Hill and went down Duke Street to Main Street. And although after over 40 years I can no longer picture what Duke St. was like I don't remember that area at all. Anyone else remember that area in those days?

Were it not for the Arnold Carpet sign I would have thought this was perhaps somewhere around Leominster! Didn't realise Bulwell was so picturesque!

Of course, Arnold Carpets could have opened a branch in the West Midlands.

49b1b5eb-b3b0-4bb8-be6e-74488ec239d6_zps

Here's a photo from me - this is no. 88a Commercial Road on the corner of Latham Street. It was originally a shop, but at some time in, I think, the 1950s, it became an office of the Ministry of Pensions & National Insurance (later Social Security). When they moved out to David Lane at Basford in 1971 it was used by the Probation Service, but I believe they had also moved out by the time of this photo in 1996. It did seem to be occupied then, but I don't know who by.

After posting #179, thought I'd go back and have a look at this thread from page 1 on - Oooer, thats more like I remember Bulwell! Has it improved over the last 5 years though?

It's not got any worse ! Aspley is far worse.

• 1 month later...

I'm open to correction on this, but I believe the Kiss Gates can just be seen in the middle distance on the single line in this photo. http://www.rcts.org....=4&img=66-26-03 The railway cutting in RGR's photo is down in the bottom right of this photo

The push chair (item 161) is actually on the kiss gate footpath at Bulwell Common, see a photo in almost the same position.

8650766801_25f4090435_c.jpg

Spent many an hour at this location as a boy,with the Forest Side gang.You can just make out Dicky Dido 's cave in the sandstone on the left side the post office at the top of Bancroft street with the white gable end.Remember seeing an O4like this one and one of the drivers had chalked in a name plate (Christine Keeler).l had an uncle that was a fireman in the mid '50's and he took me to Annesley shed to pick up his wages we rode on the Dido.Great picture by the way.

• 1 month later...

Hey RGR, my ex husbands grandma (I think thats right) was from Forest Side, she was a Truswell (Gladys)

I vaguely remember Rolland Truswell ,Barber at a shop near Bulwell Crossings.Related to LiL Binks.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I mean sure Bulwell is bad, but you act like all of the teenagers are the same and all of  the people are the same. Okay, yes there are a lot of teenagers who smoke or do drugs and are ignorant to their surroundings. But there are also a lot of teenagers who don’t you’re just saying what you see out and about and not what’s really happening. I’ve lived in Bulwell all my life and I’m only 14. I hear people slagging it off or saying all people from Bulwell are chavs when they’re not, you’re just looking in the wrong places! 

-Elarna, 14

• Like 7

Sad that,,could have been anywhere,, don't think we need Bulwell on here called Scum city"

Admin could we change it please,,?

• Like 3

No, it's not a city, but sad all the same. However, the topic has been in existence long enough. Maybe pointless complaining now.